Parking lot etiquette - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #31 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie- View Post
Did you park next to the artist formerly known as Prince?
Nah He parked next to me.....I was there first. He said he wanted to make his ride look better. Nice guy. Definitively a hobby rider He admits it. His other ride is an 06 LS3 Vette.

Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #32 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie- View Post
Well, I don't confront them so my skepticism hardly matters. But, after working as a nutritionist in a hospital for several years, I know first hand of which I speak. It's sad how many people ruin their lives and put their families through pain because they neglect their bodies. And, when you give them a diet plan and education, very few follow through. These are the people I'm talking about, not those who were stricken with illness or injury.
I agree with you. Most people have no idea how much calorie intake they consume a day, not a clue, I didn't. They don't read packages and never discover a Tub of movie popcorn is 1000 calories For them is just a snack.

Then wonder why in a few short years they cannot get around without a Rascal and call their obesity a disease, seek disability, and yes they get handicapped parking tags.

Obesity in this country is not a disease. It's an obsession. I am in wonderment of how many people are overweight and don't think they are.

I didn't until I saw a picture one day and did not recognize myself. I was 50lbs overweight, I lost 40lbs just monitoring my intake. No exercise routine Just limiting my caloric intake to 1400 a day no matter what. Lost about a pound a week till I got to my target. Now I am up to 1700 calories and losing 1/2lb a week. At my goal weight I will be at 1900 calories a day and I probably will have to force myself to eat more. I want 10Lbs of overhead so I can enjoy that all you can eat buffet now and then.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #33 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post
I agree with you. Most people have no idea how much calorie intake they consume a day, not a clue, I didn't. They don't read packages and never discover a Tub of movie popcorn is 1000 calories For them is just a snack.

Then wonder why in a few short years they cannot get around without a Rascal and call their obesity a disease, seek disability, and yes they get handicapped parking tags.

Obesity in this country is not a disease. It's an obsession. I am in wonderment of how many people are overweight and don't think they are.

I didn't until I saw a picture one day and did not recognize myself. I was 50lbs overweight, I lost 40lbs just monitoring my intake. No exercise routine Just limiting my caloric intake to 1400 a day no matter what. Lost about a pound a week till I got to my target. Now I am up to 1700 calories and losing 1/2lb a week. At my goal weight I will be at 1900 calories a day and I probably will have to force myself to eat more. I want 10Lbs of overhead so I can enjoy that all you can eat buffet now and then.

with rare exceptions obesity is not a disease, nor is it an obsession, it is just old fashioned gluttony..period..however I am not going to be the one who decides who is gluttonous and who has a genetic flaw

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #34 (permalink)

Default Resurrecting Parking Thread

OK - I just got back from Whole Foods after running an errand. (I simply HAD to get some toothpaste . . . or maybe just wanted a reason to ride) And since this was the first time I had ridden TO a store/shopping center I came here to HSN to do a Search (little box up top) for "parking lot" etiquette and also for the whole helmet lock issue.

I google-earthed the Whole Foods lot, and did not see any motorcycle parking, so I left the house and just decided to take up a normal parking space. Upon arrival I scored a very lucky win - as there was a single space between a cart rack and an island. Lots of visibility to others driving the parking lot, and no place for someone to squeeze my space. I backed her in there, took up the whole space, locked my helmet, and went about my shopping.

I had a great trip, toothpaste was for my wife as she is about to go out of town, and I thought I'd resurrect the thread for any other folks still wondering about parking lots and thoughts. As for myself, where there is no special spaces for bikes I'll continue to just take a full space and maybe get lucky again.

D.
Cobra Sissy Bar/Back Rest
Cobra Luggage Rack
Mustang Daytripper Seat
Braided Viking Bags

"In the beginning God created man, but seeing him so feeble, He gave him the dog." ---Toussenel
austxdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #35 (permalink)

PA Dave you are a genius. Couldn't have said it better.

If you are feeling guilty about taking up a perfectly good "whole" space leave it open for a car and park your bike at the end of the parking lot where lots of open spaces are. I used to make myself feel better about justifying parking on the sidewalk b/c I was doing some stranger a favor leaving an open spot. In reality I was justifying being too lazy.

spicoli512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #36 (permalink)

If you're trying to please someone with your parking, it's a losing battle. Park in a space someone complains. Park on a sidewalk someone complains. People really just want you to park out in the lot, which isn't a horrible idea but my area has a horrible bike theft problem. So, I just park where I normally would in a car.
Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #37 (permalink)

Location: Northern Mississippi by way of Lawrence Kansas by way of Berkeley CA by way of Atlanta GA.

Some clown at work gave me some ***** one day for taking up a parking space
with my bike - I let him know loud and clear " I pay my taxes "..... so that
shut him up pretty quick - however, when possible, I always make a point to
park my bike where I want ( with handicap exceptions ) and position the best
side out so it shines...in general - I Shives a Gets when it comes to parking...
Old 10-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #38 (permalink)

Garage

In seven years here no one ever ave me grief for parking on a sidewalk from Best Buy to costco to Wal mart Home Depot or the Mall. Lots of bikes park on sidewalks out of the way of pedestrian traffic and people don;t get all up in arms about it.

Maybe because its bike friendly here. (except for a Mayor and a few council people who made an error in judgement a few years ago) LEOS don't ticket bikes on sidewalks on private property.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #39 (permalink)

Garage

I am glad this post got resurrected. I have often wondered about parking on the sidewalk. I do see that around here from time to time but it has always seemed like "breaking the rules" to me. I tend to want to stay within the rules. I will probably just stick to a regular parking spot. Besides, I'm not too crazy about having all the nose miners and other foot traffic around my bike while sitting on a sidewalk.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
2002 Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #40 (permalink)

Garage

>> I hate to take a whole spot that could be used by a car if I don't have to but I don't want to get a ticket or piss someone off.

You paid for the whole bike. Take the whole parking place.