Help name my bike shop! - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

View Poll Results: What should the bike shop be named?
Dave's DIY Garage 26 59.09%
Motorcycle Maintenance and Customization 3 6.82%
Motorcycle Lounge 1 2.27%
Motorcycle Cafe 5 11.36%
Other (write-in) 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

I accidentaly clicked on cafe... Disregard lol. I like the first one or something like "bloody knuckles bike shop" lol. Its not a project til you bleed.
Zop_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #22 (permalink)

Garage

Hi Dave
I was Director of Marketing for an International Customs Brokers and would like to offer a few basic suggestions:

1. These days 90% of businesses are found through a website/internet search and 8% through yellow pages and the rest through ads and referrals so web is critical.

2. Since websites can provide multi descriptions the actual company name does not need to reflect product or service. ie what are Starbucks, Walmart, Google however the name should be differentiated so its more important to be unique rather than descriptive. Branding the name can include location for geographic/demographic segments ie if you are local to an area that might help improve hitrate for your local area.

3. Make sure you have a good website and that you have it optimized for search engines (inexpensive for a local market)

4. You want your website found so make sure you have a blog or newsletter and you update it often: say weekly at least.

A lot of company owners like their name in the company name but don't be tempted. One of the reasons you should start a business (unless its a charity) is to make money. This includes the disposition of the busineess. A business that icludes a personal name selles for lees due to the goodwill assosciated is unless the next owners name happens to be Dave he is likely to consider a name change and that means the cost of signage, website changes invoice/letterhead etc.

So the trick is trying to be unique/specific but general enough to attract eyes to the website. Something like Nashville Cycle Repair or Nashville Unique Cycle might be a start. You can include info about DIY on the website but have not restricted your clientele to DIY only.

Remember to do a web search first to see what name are being used because although registering a unique name is difficult but you may end up with a registered name slightly different than the Brand name ie I have registered a company DynamicSYS Consulting that is branded as Dynamic Systems Consulting (too close to a trademarked Microsoft product to be registered)

G.
gdb069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

"The Bike Works". Simple, clean and encompasses your goal.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #24 (permalink)

+1 for "The Bike Works"

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Saor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #25 (permalink)

My thinking is like that of gdb069, above. The name should be easily searchable to get the most hits. If maintenance and repair classes are going to be a regular feature of your offerings (which sounds to me like a very good idea, BTW) I would call the place something both whimsical and attention-getting, such as "Dave's Do-It-Yourself Motorcycle Shop and University."
And a long list of dear departeds

MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #26 (permalink)

I think you should name it "The Garage," or "Your Garage" That is where people go to work on their bikes. It's clever and people identify going out to the garage with working on things. With a clever advertising slogan that name would work great IMHO

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Heel/toe shifter
DarkAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saor View Post
+1 for "The Bike Works"

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

+2 for The Bike Works....its in the works, until it works. if ya follow that
Fellenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #28 (permalink)

Garage

you guys are so awesome!!

this is great advice and just makes me more excited to get this off the ground!

once again, i appreciate all the feedback and your input.

Live to ride another day!
davelisowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

Rusty Nuts
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

Default Diy

I love this idea. My cousin ran a similar business in Denver for years but it was for cars. He had eleven bays and loved to teach. In the end liability issues drove him out of business.

I think the name is the least of your problems. You will have to make your money on the parts sales which means financing the stock as well as the building as well. And solve the liability problem. If you want help with the plan, PM me.

2011 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

Last edited by 1234thunder; 12-03-2012 at 08:33 PM.
1234thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement