reason for riding - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Garage

First 25 years, pleasure and lots of long distance riding out west. To visit friends and hook up with riding family was always a 350 mile ride in the SW corridor. Whether from home in San Diego ad later in Las Vegas. As I got older and especially now in this part of the country, the bike became purely a commuter that saves a lot of wear and tear on the more expensive to replace 08 Tacoma which has a whopping 30K miles. The distances here between destinations are much much shorter in miles and time. I should be riding an NT700 or NCX for my style of riding anymore. I really don't need a 1300 cc bike.

The only time i use the truck is if its raining when I have to leave the house or to pick up what I cannot on the bike and when the wife and I go anywhere together. She doesn't like the bike and I am more than ok with that. Her RAV is always filled with her gigging gear.

Chief you are an auto enthusiast. Nothing wrong with that. one of my brother's was one and obsessed over every mile he put on his 67 Vette. I don;t really believe a bike is more economical than a car or truck after the costs of the bike, insurance, upkeep.... only advantage I see is it saves wear and tear on the more expensive vehicle over the long run and is far less expensive to replace. My bike insurance is higher than my truck!! That un/under insured coverage is more than half the $450 premium for $300K.

Last edited by Hondaguy; 12-02-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

I learned how to ride a bike before I learned how to drive a car. When I was 13 in 1964 my best friend had a 125cc Ducati that we would "race" around an oval dirt track that we made in the field behind his house. When I was 14 my Dad bought a 50cc Honda from a guy he worked with and gave it to me. I didn’t have a license and the bike didn’t have a tag but we lived out in the country and I rode it on the dirt and gravel roads. When I turned fifteen and half I got my learners permit (car) and Dad made me trade the bike for an old Chevy pickup. It broke my heart but I understood the practical advantages of 4 wheels over 2. When I got my license at 16 I passed the pickup on to my younger brother and my older brother passed his 1949 Ford Coupe down to me. I got a job and saved every penny and by the time I was 17 I had saved enough to buy a very used 305 Yamaha. That’s when I REALLY learned how to ride. Back in the 60s, in Oklahoma, if you had a car license you could ride a bike legally and I rode the bike more than I drove the car. Not much has changed in the last forty plus years. I still prefer the bike to the car but for practical reasons I have almost always had a car. Those times when I had a car but no bike were pure torture for me and I was forever trying to figure out a way to get a bike. Those times when I had a bike but no car were a lot easier to take.

I never thought much about "why" I ride. It’s just something I’ve always done.
wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

I ride for pleasure. There is a certain amount of freedom and solitude that only a bike can provide.

Also a slight bit of thrill/danger that I get to control. (Must be the type-A personality coming through.)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2013 BMW F700GS
2006 Honda Shadow Aero
1974 Kawasaki G4TR Trail Boss
5ft2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
-AJ

i ride because i love to ride. i've been involved with motorcycles since i was really young. don't remember how old.. just remember always being around them. my dad opened a motorcycle shop when i was 11 years old. i'm 21 now and have worked in the shop nearly all my life. motorcycles are one of the most important things to me in my life.. it's how i've made most of my money all my life.

i'll ride to work, ride to college, ride to church, ride on a 300 mile sunday, or take a big trip. it doesn't matter to me. i just ride.

2006 Honda VTX-1300R
Memphis Shades Batwing, Stock "C" Model Pipes, Mustang Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, National Cycle Hard Bags,
Lindby Multibar, Küryakyn Sound System, Küry ISO Grips, Show Chrome Grille Cover, Küry L.E.D Light Kit, Küry Triple Whammy,
Küry Constellation Light Bar, TTO Tach, Metzeler Tires, Chromed Wheels and much, much more.
-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
PDM

I got my first bike when I was 6 and have been riding ever since (minus a one year hiatus after my spinal surgery). My motorcycles were never my DD, they couldn't be. I work at an airport and a farm so I always need my truck. I ride whenever I get a chance and the weather is right. I find it very claming and it's an experience that no cage can give you.

Last edited by PDM; 12-03-2012 at 02:53 AM.
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

Strictly pleasure for me but that wasn't always the case. I love riding always have prolly always will. I only ride in nice weather now-a-days.
vonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

Pleasure rider here. Wish I could use for work, but can't carry all the equipment I need. Once in a while I will take it to visit current customers or particular job sites. Also not sure that a new customer I have never met would like a "biker" pulling in their drive way at their home.

tigrzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

Initially got a bike for commuting and found out how much fun it was. So I also ride for pleasure and I've been know to take some multi-day trips on the bike too. So basically I ride the bike instead of the car every chance I get. However, Maine has a relatively short riding season. April to November and some years the weather dictates little riding in either April or November.
I have been know to trailer the bike to a vacation destination. Hard to carry golf clubs and all the other items you need for vacation on a motorcycle.
vzshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

Garage

I've been riding for 50 years! Its in my blood! Good therapy!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

Garage

I ride for pleasure, if I'm not having fun, what's the point of having a Motorcycle!