Motorcycle insurance - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
rmw

Here's what I've run into. The regulations follow the state of registration, but registration also follows the state of residence and that can be tricky if someone lives part of each year in different states and residency varies by state. A number of years back some jokers in Indiana were registering their cars in KY because it was much cheaper in KY. If you live in Indiana you are required to have a Indiana license and vehicles owned by you must be registered in Indiana.

Also, many states will hae laws that state something on the order that if you operate a vehicle in the state of, you must, "irregardless of state registration" have insurance of the following type and amounts.

About 12 years ago, I was rear ended by some students in a snow storm who were from TN and TN evidently then or perhaps now did not require insurance. The IN state police officer when told by them they didn't need insurance in TN said; "well in case you didn't notice, you're not in TN, you're in Indiana and here you must have insurance or proof of financial responsbility." So, he inpounded the car until they posted a bond covering the damage to my car. Now interestingly enough, my insurance person told me that if they hadn't posted, the state would at some point auction their car off and the proceeds would go to the state, not me or my insurance company...makes sense doesn't it; but the bond money does.

So, if you are in a non insurance state, you're ok in that state but you may not be in other states.

Dearly Departed 2004 Sabre...RIP
rmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #22 (permalink)

The old insurance man in me wants to point out two things:

First, if your residence is in one state and you register your vehicle in another to save money, be prepared to find that your insurance will deny coverage for your accident because where you drive and the risks there are part of the formula that determines your rates. It's fraud to misrepresent the risks.

Second, whether your state requires coverage or not, nothing prevents an injured party from suing for any damage/injury. Why anyone would not spring for at least liability coverage, required or not, is baffling to me. Of course, those of us who do have insurance pay extra for uninsured/underinsured coverage on our policies to cover those who decide to save money this way, which is a whole 'nother thorn in my side.

PA Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #23 (permalink)

I know we hate paying for the non/ under insured. We can also thank the garage and trailer queens lowering the average rate we pay.

Sent from my LT28i using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #24 (permalink)

Here's a question. I am 40 years old and I pay $31 dollars a month in so cal for full coverage on my 750 shadow. I have only been riding a month. My co worker is the same age and pays $18 dollars a month on an 1100 v star but he has been riding for 7 years. Both our driving records are clean. We both have Progressive through USAA. Are they factoring riding experience into the premium?

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Heel/toe shifter
DarkAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #25 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure they do factor in riding experience for insurance rates.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Lady Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #26 (permalink)

Eatch out with the living in one state and working in another. I don't know what your situation is, but in some states, if you work there over a certain amount of time, then yu are required to get licensed and registered there.

In 79 my wife and I moved from Wisconsin to VA. We got our licenses in Va right away, as is made things easier for check cashing. Our plates on the cars expired in a few months so we didn't do anything with them at the time. We renewed our insurance right after we moved and gave them our new address. Well, I got into an accident driving my wife's car and it was my fault. Our insurance paid out for the damages and medical bills, no problem. The state required that you fill out a verification of insurance form when you were in an accident. When I sent in the form they immediatly sent is back, saying invalid insurance company or something like that. I verified the information from my policy and sent it back in. A short time later the police showed up at our door with a ticket for my wife. It turned out that we had gone over the amount of time to transfer everything over. The insurance company, although they had paid out a bundle, were not licensed to do business in VA, so the state decided that the vehicle was uninsured. My wife's license was suspended and she was fined $250 for the uninsured motorist fee because the car was in her name. Our position was that it was obviously insired as evidenced by the huge payout in the claim. Their position was that the vehicle was required to be registered in VA, so required to have insurance from a company licensed in VA. WE LOST big time. We were HIGH RISK for 5 years because of that.

Check with the DMV in all states involved to be safe.

1996shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #27 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAero View Post
Here's a question. I am 40 years old and I pay $31 dollars a month in so cal for full coverage on my 750 shadow. I have only been riding a month. My co worker is the same age and pays $18 dollars a month on an 1100 v star but he has been riding for 7 years. Both our driving records are clean. We both have Progressive through USAA. Are they factoring riding experience into the premium?

Did they ask you about your riding experience? More likely it's different cities/counties/etc. That changes the rate around more than you would think.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #28 (permalink)

I'll explain the situation a bit. My wife and kids live in Florida, where I have a house. I am working for the city of Durham water department on a year long project. I don't live here, but I will be here awhile. I'm not trying to commit fraud or get cheaper rates on anything, it's just the situation im in. I don't have insurance on my bike right now, I just recently switched insurance companies and am still trying to figure it all out how things are going to work out. I'm not even sure that I'm going to bring the bike here or not. I agree that it is smart to have insurance, but my question wasn't about what is right or wrong, it's what is legal/illegal, even just on a temporary basis.
Dougyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #29 (permalink)

I didn't mean to imply you are engaged in fraud, but some responses wandered into that territory which prompted my response. In your situation, with your primary residence in FL, you are probably okay, but I would simply call your agent and ask the questions...that is where you'll get the best information to make sure you are in compliance and how to be best covered. I apologize if I gave the impression you where in any way not on the up and up.

By the way, the Raleigh Durham area was beautiful back when I used to visit annually and I hope it still is. It's a beautiful place...enjoy your time there.

Last edited by PA Dave; 12-08-2012 at 09:31 PM.
PA Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
rmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAero View Post

In a nut shell, insurance companies can and do factor in just about everything including your income, age, whether you own or rent a house, eye color, just kidding maybe on the eye color. Anything that may indicate a risk factor for accidents. Try being 20 with four speeding tickets and two reportable accidents and trying to insure a 1400cc sport bike...... Know a guy here in that situation whose low quoate was $6k a year.

Dearly Departed 2004 Sabre...RIP
rmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement