Motorcycle insurance - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw View Post
In a nut shell, insurance companies can and do factor in just about everything including your income, age, whether you own or rent a house, eye color, just kidding maybe on the eye color. Anything that may indicate a risk factor for accidents. Try being 20 with four speeding tickets and two reportable accidents and trying to insure a 1400cc sport bike...... Know a guy here in that situation whose low quoate was $6k a year.
I would say that young man has some significant risk factors! That's still pretty outrageous IMO

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Heel/toe shifter
DarkAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #32 (permalink)

Just renewed my insurance with GEICO, $89.00 per year, full coverage and $250.00 deductible. Course, I'm old (LOL), have over 40 years riding experience and NO tickets or accidents.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAero View Post
I would say that young man has some significant risk factors! That's still pretty outrageous IMO
Well how much less would you charge him if you were the one providing the coverage?

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe View Post
Well how much less would you charge him if you were the one providing the coverage?
I couldn't possibly come up with an intelligent answer to that as I know nothing about how companies figure rates, but I see your point. That still seems like a hell of a lot for bike insurance. Wonder what he pays for the car (if he has one)

Heel/toe shifter
Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougyeager View Post
I'm going to start this post by saying I'm a long way from home. I live in Florida and hold a florida license. However, i work in north Carolina. In Florida, i do not need insurance but it is the law to have it in north Carolina. If i brought my bike here, would i follow nc law or fl law?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Don't most states require you to assume residency there if you live or work there for a certain period of time? If so, how do you maintain Florida residency?

I only ask because I am a Florida resident who is currently stationed in TN. However, being that I am active duty military, I can legally maintain Florida residency. However, once I retire or ETS the active duty .mil rules no longer apply.
Kitulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #36 (permalink)

Iíve owned a lot of bikes that werenít worth having full coverage on and back in the day I rode a lot with no insurance at all. But in this day and age I had no idea that there were still places where you can legally ride without at least having liability insurance. These days I ride legal and even if it was legal to ride without insurance my bike is worth the cost of full coverage to me. If I had bike that wasnít worth much Iíd still carry the minimum to be legal.
wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #37 (permalink)

With today's litigation happy drivers and lawyers advertising you should "get what you deserve", it makes total sense to carry insurance. I would rather have my insurance pay out a claim than from my own pocket. Even if the crash is not your fault, how many times have "at fault" drivers tried to sue the victim? Even if the other driver is 100% at fault, you could find yourself paying legal fees to defend yourself. Let the insurance company send in their own lawyers on the idiots and let them get their fees back if it would come to that. I don't have the time or temper to be dragged around the court system just because someone is seeking a payday.

Mike's 1999 VT1100C2 ACE
Enjoying life in Sunny Florida
fixjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #38 (permalink)

Garage

All the low insurance quotes mean nothing without overages,

I could get <$100 a year coverage if I bought minimum liability.
Once you add $$300-$500K coverage Liability/under/Un insurered coverage $50K property damage and comprehensive the fee can go to $450 easily and I don't carry collision only comprehensive.

Those are my coverage's accident free 35+ years no tickets with Markel.

Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
We both have Progressive through USAA.
?? I insure with USAA, but have never seen any reference or mention of Progressive involvement. What's up with this?
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
?? I insure with USAA, but have never seen any reference or mention of Progressive involvement. What's up with this?
USAA only insures bikes in 4 states. In states where they don't insure, they have a partnership with Progressive. Found this out when I went to add my bike to my policy. Funny thing is they actually do insure where I live (CA) but still referred me to Progressive because I have had my endorsement for less than 3 years.

Heel/toe shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement