Motorcycle insurance - Page 5 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Funny thing is they actually do insure where I live (CA) but still referred me to Progressive because I have had my endorsement for less than 3 years.
I guess that's it. I've been endorsed AND with USAA for a long time. I may be grandfathered with them -- which is appropriate since I AM a grandfather.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #42 (permalink)

Interesting piece from Roadrunner.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #43 (permalink)

Each state has their own definition as to "residence". For some, it is where you live. For others, it can be where you "intend to reside" meaning long term. I did a quick review of the North Carolina DMV site and it is not really clear as to their meaning of residence for the purpose of licensing requirements.

It does say:

First-Time Registration

If you have recently:
  • Purchased a car
  • Been given a car
  • Moved into the state
Then you’ll need to get the car registered.
If you’re new to the state, you must register your car at the end of 30 days or when you accept gainful employment (whichever occurs first).
You must register and title newly-acquired cars right away, or risk a citation.

To be safe, I would recommend you visit a local DMV office and ask for yourself. No point sweating it everytime you see a cop on the road. Information is power as they say.
Bugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugler View Post
To be safe, I would recommend you visit a local DMV office and ask for yourself. No point sweating it everytime you see a cop on the road.
HUH????

He's posted that he's already got the bike registered in Florida. Why would he care about NC registration requirements since (1) NC is not planned to be his permanent residence, (2) he maintains a permanent residence in Florida and (3) he's planning to leave the NC job for Florida in a year? Why would he sweat every time he saw a cop if he's riding a legally registered bike with plates from a nearby state? I ride in NC as often as possible with MI plates and NEVER worry about cops. (Yeah, okay, I do look around for them a bit more when I'm speeding.)

His question concerned whether or not he should carry insurance while riding in NC. The DMV will NOT help him answer that. If they tell him anything, it will likely be very biased and not at all objective. (Yes, I know that's redundant.)

Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe View Post
HUH????

He's posted that he's already got the bike registered in Florida. Why would he care about NC registration requirements since (1) NC is not planned to be his permanent residence, (2) he maintains a permanent residence in Florida and (3) he's planning to leave the NC job for Florida in a year? Why would he sweat every time he saw a cop if he's riding a legally registered bike with plates from a nearby state? I ride in NC as often as possible with MI plates and NEVER worry about cops. (Yeah, okay, I do look around for them a bit more when I'm speeding.)

His question concerned whether or not he should carry insurance while riding in NC. The DMV will NOT help him answer that. If they tell him anything, it will likely be very biased and not at all objective. (Yes, I know that's redundant.)
Well, I thought the opening sentence was clear. Just because he has it licensed in Florida goes not mean another state will not require him to relicense in their state if he has sufficient and continuous contacts within their state. Some states are changing these laws to make sure folks do not register in a particular state to avoid local taxes, etc., when they have actually relocated to a new state. The issue is how each state defines residence and what it takes to establish residence and whether he has taken sufficient action within that state for them to conclude he has met their residency requirements.

And the reason that is relevant is that folks are quick to state that if Florida does not require insurance, then he does not need any legally. Perhaps, perhaps not. As an attorney who was had to deal with conflict of law matters regarding where a person actually has residence, I can say there is not hard and fast rule as some here suggest.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugler View Post
Well, I thought the opening sentence was clear. Just because he has it licensed in Florida goes not mean another state will not require him to relicense in their state if he has sufficient and continuous contacts within their state.
We aren't discussing "another" state, we're discussing a particular one (NC) that your research indicates is completely unclear about anything of relevance to his particular situation.

As an attorney, how often do you advise your clients to go into the authorities to ask if they've violated any laws? Around here, if the answer was as much as "one time" then you'd have difficulty paying your bills. But it wouldn't take very long to count your clients.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #47 (permalink)

Insurance requirements differ from state to state, regardless as to where a vehicle registered. (As RMW already eluded too). Some states are vague but New York clearly requires any vehicle driven in thier state to have NYS insurance. Any vehicle - I'm a PA resident and I even need insurance for my snowmobiles to operate in NY state. And they do stop you on the trails. NC is not as clear. How do you interpret cyclist? All cyclists? I can see how some do see this as residents only. Here is a link to NC requirements (and other states)- http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina...quirements.php

Last edited by HellBender; 12-16-2012 at 07:59 AM.
HellBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #48 (permalink)

Opps

Last edited by HellBender; 12-15-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: duplicate post
HellBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #49 (permalink)

24 years old, bike listed as primary vehicle, $184 a month, Sabre 1100.

2007 Shadow Sabre 1100 Black/Flame (Dead)
2006 VTX 1800S Touring

itsNatedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe View Post
We aren't discussing "another" state, we're discussing a particular one (NC) that your research indicates is completely unclear about anything of relevance to his particular situation.

As an attorney, how often do you advise your clients to go into the authorities to ask if they've violated any laws? Around here, if the answer was as much as "one time" then you'd have difficulty paying your bills. But it wouldn't take very long to count your clients.
Its funny, earlier today on this site, I saw you questioning a guy about being a troll if he posted something others did not agree with and simply lectured others. The poster's original question was a choice of law question. His goal was to make sure he complies with the law. I recommended that he simply ask for the relevant information so he can make an informed decision. Now you want to tell me lecture me about the the practice of law.

I realize you seem to think you are an expert on every topic; however, its is a huge reach (being nice here) to conclude that a DMV would treat anyone from out of state, asking if they need insurance going foward, as someone who has violated laws. I have been a prosecutor for decades and also an adminstrative law judge deciding agency law. That is simply not how such agencies operate. I am sure based upon your expertise in the law, you believe differently. I will just leave it at that as clearly we have different perspectives on helping the original poster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement