Motorcycle insurance - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Motorcycle insurance

I'm going to start this post by saying I'm a long way from home. I live in Florida and hold a florida license. However, i work in north Carolina. In Florida, i do not need insurance but it is the law to have it in north Carolina. If i brought my bike here, would i follow nc law or fl law?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Dougyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I could be wrong but i believe it depends on where its registered I live in nc and you have to have insurance in order to register it in nc
bworm883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

FL license, FL rules. You can't follow every state I would imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Just Cruise...
Shadow ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Why not call NC Dept of Motor Vehicles and ask them?
In two minutes you would get the correct answer.
shadowdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

As cheap as MC insurance is for as much protection as you get, how is this even a question? Law or not, do the right thing and protect yourself and others from financial ruin.
Jammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

I'm pretty sure the rules apply to where you register the vehicle and that's that.

For reference I have 4 bikes insured for $500 a year total which covers full replacement and 100/300k liability and 100/300k medical for me and a passenger. It's cheap as hell to insure a bike and if you haven't looked into it you should.

Shop everything you have to insure across companies to get the best rate. I get that because I have a multi-car, multi-bike, and a condo insurance policy all at the same place.

Even when I was <25 single with single car it was still only like $120 a year to insure the 83. That's when my car was over $1000 a year.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

It's whatever state you register the vehicle in. On another note, if you are in the military, or former military, or one of your parent's, or one of your spouses parent's, or your spouse for that matter, were in the military, you could call USAA. They will then refer you to Progressive, whom they have a partnership with, where you will get a REALLY good rate!

"Past experience carries with its advantages the drawback that things never happen the same way again." - Winston Churchill

E'ville Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Florida, may not require insurance but from a liability standpoint I would get insurance. You may not care if your bike its self is insured but If you hit someone then you are liable and the cost would come out of your pocket. Still don't understand why some states don't require insurance. It's pretty much a no brainer to me.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougyeager View Post
I live in Florida and hold a florida license. However, i work in north Carolina.
Must be a wonderful morning commute!

If you are maintaining your FL residency (as evidenced by your driver license and claim that you live there.) then how would you register the bike anywhere else?

In this modern age of terrorism, I cannot believe that any state would let you register a vehicle without being able to prove you are a resident. Maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, buying insurance is NOT the "right" thing. There is no "right" or "wrong" about it. There is legal and illegal. There is prudent and imprudent. (Smart and stupid, if you'd prefer those words.) You can evaluate your assets and liabilities to determine whether or not it makes sense for you to buy insurance above the minimums required by whatever state you call home. If you need us to tell you then you are in sad shape.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Motorcycle insurance isn't always cheap...for good reason. Price out a 50 year old guy on a cruiser, vs a 19 year old on an 1100 sport bike and the difference is huge. For me with high limits of coverage and a $500 deductible it's about $115 to cover my 750 Shadow.

PA Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement