Cold days - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

My commute is only about 30 minutes. Long enough to tell if you got it right but short enough to endure if you get it wrong. I donít rely on heated gear because of the cost, the fact that it rarely gets really cold where I live and I donít like to worry about gadgets that may fail. Dress in layers with a windproof outer layer. And when I say windproof I mean it. Every little opening in your outer layer, no matter how small, will let in enough cold air to ruin the effect. This is the first year that I can say my hands are truly warm when it gets cold because I added hand guards to block the wind off my hands and got a pair of mittens intended for snowmobiles. You might think the mittens would make the controls hard to manipulate but thatís not the case at all. Cold fingers were the chink in my cold weather armor until now. Tested down to 28 degrees and so far so good!
wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Wimpy Wuss, here!

Nope, after all the years of dressing like the michelin man in the cold, and STILL being cold, I sucked it up and bought a set of Gerbings heated gloves and a Powerlet jacket liner. The gloves arrived two days ago, the jacket is in the mail. Can't wait. Using a dual controller from Powerlet.

Last year I bought a one piece thermo hunter's camo from Bass Pro that is really warm and waterproof. Doubted the waterproof claim since it felt like soft material, but was caught in a downpour. The suit was sopping wet; I was dry underneath. But, there is just something about wearing Camo that isn't me. . .

Heat! Love it. Don't like the humidity, but find that on the bike it isn't bothersome. Much better than hypothermia.

Next? Heated socks. . .aaahhhhhh
Espiritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm working from home today, so I jumped on the bike to grab a little lunch. Chaps, FF, and neck warmer worked great...the sleet and snow and the way home was a bit of a surpise though...that stuff stings. =) Luckily it was olny about 12 miles round trip...
Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for the fog tips. I'll have to give some of them a try.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Shadow Spirit 750
https://plus.google.com/photos/11591...CLzH_6iopOqyPQ
coreenleann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Here in Oklahoma we get the scorcher triple digit convection heat waves of summer too. As counterintuitive as it seems, the best bit of gear for those days is a light jacket. I was always amazed at how much better it felt in the sun wearing that jacket than scorching without despite not being designed for riding with zipper vents every 2 inches apart.

The irony was that wearing something better ventilated also allowed more of that scorching heat through which was little more than trying to dry out a sock in a hot oven with a hair dryer.
Yep. I found in triple digit weather I was more comfortable with my mesh jacket, gloves, chaps, and a full face helmet with the shield all the way down as it all kept the heat sort of lifted off my by an inch or so. It was still hot, but it was like there was a protective barrier around me keeping it off the surface of me. Probably because there was. ')

The more I'm around people the more I love my dog, and she annoys the hell out of me sometimes.

[IMG][/IMG]
Amos Iron Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement