Winter Riding - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

that is reason I wen with heated grips, my ride is an almost an hour, remeber the days before heated grips, got to work one day and fingers where so froze I couldn't undo my helmet, had to get someone else to undo helmet

Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Dave, those are def interesting looking but what if you needed your hand right quick for something? Wouldn't seem like you would be able to get it back in too easily or at all (without stopping).

They say laughter is the best medicine. Unless you are laughing ALL the time, then you probably need some REAL medicine, you freak.

shadowmaker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

I did a ride to visit a friend in hospital today, possibly between 30 or 40 miles round trip at just below freezing, two pair of gloves didn't help much and I had to thaw out before I could remove my helmet..

John.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

And did you otherwise really, truly even half way enjoy it????
Wouldn't seem as tho there are too many admitting to REALLY enjoying the ride which makes me think they are doing it just to prove they're tough guys or have no choice.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Unless you are laughing ALL the time, then you probably need some REAL medicine, you freak.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmaker07 View Post
Wouldn't seem as tho there are too many admitting to REALLY enjoying the ride which makes me think they are doing it just to prove they're tough guys or have no choice.
The very reason I turned around this morning and took the cage to work. It was 30* out at 0645 when I left the house.

Got just outside of town up to speed 65-70 when I decided the 30 mile commute with a 1/2 helmet wasn't going to be enjoyable. I was otherwise comfortable and will probably regret it at lunch with the 60* temps, but I knew the ride in would have been miserable. Full-face helmet I would have been fine.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Exactly why I HATE winter! I would have froze to pieces before I even got out of my town last Thursday to a doc appt 50 miles away but wouldn't you know it, an hour and a half later and the sun was out and it was all but completely pleasant! Arrrgh!!
Cool hearse BTW!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
...Cool hearse BTW!
Thanks, it's a lot of fun.

Weather in Tx is just crazy. 31* in will be in the 60's at lunch and mid to low 50's on the way home

Guess I shouldn't complain to much as many have put their bikes up for the winter without the opportunity to even ride on their day off when its warmed up a bit.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:

I ride year round as long as there is no ice or snow. I donít think about it in terms of whether or not I enjoy it and I sure donít feel that I have anything to prove to anyone. I do have a choice and I choose to ride. Admittedly, when itís really cold I donít just jump on the bike and "joyride" but when I have someplace to go I take the bike unless I have something or someone to haul.
wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Quote:
No I did not truly enjoy the ride, but I do not own a car, I do however have a free bus pass that I could have used but I honestly would have enjoyed that even less..

As to proving that I am a tough guy..I am at the age where if I take the easy way out I will get used to it and die in an old peoples home having my diaper changed by some fat ugly nurse and I would rather die falling off a motorcycle..

I was actually offered the use of a car for the journey which I refused.

Also I am at the age where I do not have to back down from anyone because I expect to die soon anyway..so prove it or not..yes I am a tough guy in spirit if not in brute strength.

John.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Down and Gortex my friend...down and Gortex. Oh...and Arctic mittens. rode to work the other morning when it was 16 - 18 degrees at 75mph for 40 minutes. The windchill at that temp and speed is -26F.

Gortex and down.
Advertisement