Women bikers! - Page 5 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Mom View Post
One of the nice things about this situation is if I don't feel like riding mine, I get to ride with him as passenger and take pictures .
That's a beautiful ride you have there.
Sometimes I wish my husband rode so I could just sit back and enjoy the view, too. Only sometimes.

"Leave your regrets and impossible longings
and scatter them across the sky behind you"
Djin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
Roo

Garage

I think a women's section in the forum sounds like a great idea. It'd be nice to connect with other female riders and to talk about girly biker stuff (my husband doesn't quite get my obsession with finding an attractive tank bag or purse/windshield bag that I can just grab'n'go).

I'm 29, married to ZackDaniels, a recent graduate, and thus far have no children. My father had a few bikes and three- and four-wheelers when I was little, and he'd take me out on joy rides until he eventually got rid of them. About 7 years ago, one of his associates decided to sell her bike (2000 Shadow VLX 600) because she couldn't ride anymore, so he set it up that I'd take over her payments- essentially, my bike fell into my lap and I got an excellent deal. At the time, ZackDaniels thought I was insane and tried to talk me out of getting a bike and learning to ride on my own. Fast forward, and that bike has trained 6 new riders (including Zac, Mr. Motorcycles Are Dangerous And You Shouldn't Get One- though he'll tell you it's because I can't walk a straight line without tripping over my own feet. He must have gotten over his doubts, though, because we ride together regularly and he did one of those Amazing Husband things and gave me an early Christmas present this year- a H-D Softail Standard).

I take pride in being a female rider. Thankfully, and because of the excellent foundation our predecessors have built for us, women today are able to step through doors previously closed or at least partially held shut. It's funny, but most of my favorite "I'm a girl rider! Wee!" moments take place when I'm not actually on the road. When Zac and I were shopping for my new bike, one of the salespeople we talked to didn't even acknowledge me when we went into his store and actually did a double-take when Zac told him that the bike was for me. I understand his mistake, but it was still really satisfying to see the look on his face when I sat on the bike and asked knowledgeable questions. Maybe the next time a couple walks in, he won't make such assumptions.

PS- Djin, I'm in Carol Stream- not too far from Bolingbrook! Come next spring, let's ride!
Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #43 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djin View Post
That's a beautiful ride you have there.
Sometimes I wish my husband rode so I could just sit back and enjoy the view, too. Only sometimes.
operator error.. no post to see here

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #44 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Mom View Post
56 yr old grandmother here, I was my husbands passenger until 8 years ago. When we first started dating, he rode a 1973 Kawasaki 900Z1, after an accident which totalled it, we found out I was pregnant with our first and didn't have the $$$ to buy another one. Fast forward 22 years, our youngest was a senior in HS and hubby couldn't take anymore. He bought a 2004 Harley Dyna Wide Glide, it didn't take but a few rides to realize that we had both increased in girth over the years and either needed to get a bigger bike or I needed to get my own. We ended up doing both, first I got a 2002 Shadow VLX600 deluxe, six months later traded it in for a 2004 Shadow Aero 750.
I rode that bike for 3.5 years and 45,000 miles, when we decided we did so much long distance travel that I needed something a bit bigger, so I got a 2007 VTX1300R which is my present bike, and currently has 53,350 miles on it. Oh, my husband kept the Dyna Wide Glide but added a 1007 Harley Ultra Classic to the stable, rode that bike until it was totalled in an accident and now has a 2009 Harley Ultra Classic with 78,000 miles on it.

One of the nice things about this situation is if I don't feel like riding mine, I get to ride with him as passenger and take pictures .

Here is my pic to prove I'm a lady.

you are quite the picture taker too!

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #45 (permalink)

Hello ladies! I am a new rider and new to the forum. I introduced myself in the 'Introductions' forum, but will give you a quick recap with a few additional details: I am a 42 year old mother of 2 sons. I am a breast cancer survivor (5 years! Whoohoo!!), and that is really what has given me the courage and motivation to take up riding motorcycles - you only get one go-round, so you have to make the most of it! I started riding last year when I met my sweetheart, and loved being on the back of his Harley (still my favorite place to be!). But we live an hour apart and he is a musician and is on the road often, and so I don't get to ride much. He encouraged me to get my own bike, helped me find a nice one, taught me to ride, and then rode with me a bit until I got comfortable. He also helped me find my second bike (my 750 Shadow Aero) and haul it home. I am loving the confidence and feeling of freedom that comes with riding!
PrebleRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #46 (permalink)

Lauren would like a women section...
Attached Thumbnails
Women bikers!-motor-magazine.jpg  

2009 Stratoliner (mine), 2008 Stratoliner (hers), 2010 Harley Rocker, 2002 Honda VLX
Steve-O
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #47 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Shadow Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
you are quite the picture taker too!
Thank you kind sir!
Shadow Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
PS- Djin, I'm in Carol Stream- not too far from Bolingbrook! Come next spring, let's ride!
Sounds good!

"Leave your regrets and impossible longings
and scatter them across the sky behind you"
Djin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #49 (permalink)

I am 38, mother of two and just graduated nursing school last week!!!!! OH YEAH! I grew up on three wheelers, dirt bikes and dune buggies. Rode hubbies Kawasaki 500 in San Diego, then when we split I didn't ride myself again until this past summer. I knew that I wanted my own bike and was just waiting until the day I could afford it, single mom and responsibilities... This past summer I was given my dads Honda Shadow ACE 750. Almost had to fight my nephew for it. My brother was protective and said I HAD to take the safety course. I wanted to anyway to brush up on skills. Since then I haven't looked back. Can't wait to meet more people out on the West Coast to ride with and be able to personalize the bike some. This summer will be a blast.

I had a "moment" where I moved the bike in the garage and thought the stand was still down, it wasn't. Thank goodness for highway bars! I got it back right all by myself.

Favorite "girly biker" moment was when I posted a pic of the new bike and a friend said, "That's your bike? Da*n girl, you're not playing around." Nope, not this girl. A close second was when my brother said he wished more of his guy friends would ride like I do. Some of them have nice shiny bikes and won't go on the freeway.

Hope to have more time to connect now that I'm done with insanity (I mean nursing school) and ride safe everyone!

And CD, my proof pic is in my profile.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #50 (permalink)

Congrats on finishing school and getting your bike! You'll be rewarded for taking care of your responsibilites first

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Shadow Spirit 750
https://plus.google.com/photos/11591...CLzH_6iopOqyPQ
coreenleann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement