Women bikers! - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Women bikers!

Ok, where are all the women bikers? After reading the thread on the Girley Bike, it sure looks like there are a few of us around her, maybe even some lurkers.

Maybe we can convince the admin folks to give us our own forum heading? Wish there was a eye-bat, "girley" emoticon available. . .

I'll do an intro on myself as soon as I get back from that "girley" dropping off the granddaughter at daycare. . .in the cage.

Back in a minute.
Espiritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiritus View Post
Ok, where are all the women bikers? After reading the thread on the Girley Bike, it sure looks like there are a few of us around her, maybe even some lurkers.

Maybe we can convince the admin folks to give us our own forum heading? Wish there was a eye-bat, "girley" emoticon available. . .

I'll do an intro on myself as soon as I get back from that "girley" dropping off the granddaughter at daycare. . .in the cage.

Back in a minute.
That must mean I am girley too. I drop my kids off every day. Loaded the dishwasher and ran some laundry before we left out this morning too.
GilaMinumBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default "Girley Intro"

This is Espiritus. I currently live in Montgomery AL, assisting my son's family while he is on deployment. We are an Air Force family from wwwaaayyy back.

Rode a "pedal start motorcycle thingy" when I was in my single digit age (7-9), one that you jumped off of, kept running beside it while the next person in line grabbed it and jumped on. . .dexterity that I could not even BEGIN to try nowadays, or that I would let my kids at that age attempt.What were our mother's thinking?

Not even a single helmet, short madras pants, and barefoot if I remember correctly since shoes were for Sunday and School, not necessarily in that order. None of us wore shoes. . .

Started riding street bikes in the '70s after going into the Air Force. First bike was a honda cl350. Ugly orange and black, kick-start. . .I loved it!

Oh, but the STEREOTYPE was pretty awful. There weren't many women in the military in those days, and alot of them liked each other, which was fine, except I wasn't one of them. But the MEN thought I must be, after all, I rode a motorcycle.

Gotta say, alot of men are still this way . . .I just don't care what they think any longer!

Managed to become a MSF military instructor for Yokota AFB, Japan. Went to an interservice rodeo (those were such FUN) and placed second among a very large group of riders. I was the only female and somehow ended up with a cheering squad of dependent wives and other female military.

Rode a Honda 500 in that rodeo which I sold when the xs650 Yamaha's came out. . .boy those were pretty. Blood red, extended forks. They were hot. My husband was riding a Honda belt drive that I seem to think was a 500. It looked like a BMW.

I could RIDE. In Japan, lane splitting is acceptable and the norm. Everyone who can ride, does ride. Multitude of stories I could tell (stopped by non-english speaking japanese police while riding in a bikini, anyone?) but this would get too long.

Rode through my first pregnancy until it became too awkward and made my then husband too nervous (yes I had managed to find a brave man to marry me). Moved to Nellis AFB in NV, where I sold the bikes after my then 3-year old burned his hands on hot pipes.

Years passed, more kids came, horses took the place of the bike, then the kids were grown, the horses left and suddenly, my youngest was a year away from graduating high school.

I bought a bike. I bought an xs11 and spent a year restoring it before selling it. It was too tall and too heavy. But I learned maintenance from tearing it apart.

Sold the xs11 and bought the "bike in a box." Literally. It came from a guy who had taken it apart, then lost interest. Lots and lots of NOS parts. I put it together in my living room. Yup. The kids were gone, no one was visiting that I had to impress, and, as I have said previously, it looked good against the rock wall. There were no fluids in it, by the way, until I wheeled it out to do an initial start. It didn't come back in once oiled and fueled. It was, and probably will always be, my favorite bike: 1979 xs750 triple. But, still too tall. Sold it at a profit, and bought a 03 vstar 650 Yamaha from a woman who had dumped it and was then afraid to get back on. PURPLE. Don't get me started. Bought it very, very cheap in November (my mechanic friends told me I should turn myself in for STEALING) and sold it for what it was worth in March, making enough to buy my current scoot, 05 Honda VT1100C2.

Girl issues? Well, I usually don't let people know that I am female when I am negotiating the purchase or sell of a bike. That has resulted in some rather interesting texts/emails.

I particularily liked one that said if I wanted to get p**** I should buy his bike because it was a chick magnet. . .boy, I couldn't wait to meet him. . .and it was his bike that I ended up buying. His face when we drove the two hours to meet him was priceless when he realized it was the OLD woman who was going to get on the bike and not either of the two guys who went with me.

I rode that bike home on the interstate, with my son and his friend following this past March. Have put 9,000 miles and alot of maintenance on it since then.

Stereotype continue, of course, but I have to admit, in my YOUNG days, I could get my scoots worked on for a six pack of beer and a wink. . .never had to pay $ other than parts. I still get alot of free advice and assistance from the "guys" who are willing to help anybody with figuring out problems. Some xs750 folks actually came to my house to help me get steering bearings out... bikers are like that. That's why we wave at each other, why if a bike is on the side of the road, we stop. We are "brothers" even if we are "sisters."

So, this has gone on way too long. I am just looking to connect with other women riders (or guys in Montgomery who's wives will let them ride with a woman) to compare experiences, assist each other in working through problems that are specific to us, and just commune.

Anyone?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Sorry, duplicate post

Sorry. Somehow this was a duplicate post of my original.

Last edited by Espiritus; 12-12-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: double entry
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Nice write up! I think you lady riders should have your own forum heading as well! I would probably peek in once in awhile to see what you were talking about
I've seen lady's ride all kinds of different bikes and never bought into the girly bike chat! If it were pink and had Mary Kay on the tank,I would say it's a girly bike.
Ride safe and hope you find some folks in your area to ride with!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Nice write up...Granny. Just kidding! Just kidding! I'm an "old" rider myself. Been on motorcycles for upwards of 60 years. Oh yeah...the old shorts/barefoot Honda mini trail days. THOSE...were the days.

There are lady riders on here(though that Williewonka's a...well...we don't know what she is. Poor Paul).

Anyway...welcome. And yeah...you should have your own spot on the site. I'd post there!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan07 View Post
Nice write up...Granny. Just kidding! Just kidding! I'm an "old" rider myself. Been on motorcycles for upwards of 60 years. Oh yeah...the old shorts/barefoot Honda mini trail days. THOSE...were the days.

There are lady riders on here(though that Williewonka's a...well...we don't know what she is. Poor Paul).

Anyway...welcome. And yeah...you should have your own spot on the site. I'd post there!

You know what I am. Awesome!

I doubt I would visit a girl's section but if the peeps want it why not add it.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonka View Post
You know what I am. Awesome!

I doubt I would visit a girl's section but if the peeps want it why not add it.
I'm just glad to see you haven't embarrassed the pups yet this year by dressing them in Christmas garb. ...

And yes...everyone knows you're awesome.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Tell me YOUR stories!

OK, ladies! How did you get into riding, did you encounter any issues? Been stopped in your bikini by non-english speaking japanese cops?

I was speeding, by the way, on my way back from the base pool, on a hot day, headed to my home base which wasn't very far. . .and the national speed limit was 40k which is about 25mph. . . I had on my flip-flops and my Helmet. . .and I did NOT get a ticket, but a "very stern warning."

Then there was the time I got off my bike without putting the kick-stand down all the way down. . .and couldn't pick it up.

And when I had TWO (really two, not "two that I remember: first and last") drinks and then couldn't kick start the bike. . .

Tell me the stories! Can't wait to read them.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

The sad thing Espiritus that the stereotype did not come about to the sixties or so, back in the golden age of motorcycles women riders were quite common and even historic

AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | Adeline and Augusta VanBuren

AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | Bessie Stringfield

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement