The old saying.... - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Location: SW Georgia. Between Americus & Buena Vista - Ellaville and Plains

I reckon I fit the "have crashed list"...
Woman made a Left turn from behind a bus into my path, still riding since that one in early 70s...
I will ride until I can`t...
Merry Christmas
D
"Captain D" is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

It is not a kindness to tell new riders that they absolutely will go down at some point.

It's fine to let them know that a lot of people have, though. The thought might keep them on their toes, so to speak.

To answer the OP's question. I'll second the "bullshit" remark.

So far, 9 years without dropping it. God willing, I never will. And if I do drop it at some point, I'm still not going to assume that everyone else will drop theirs, too on my behalf.

Menhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage

1 covered bridge incident in 27 something years and that was over 16 yrs ago

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
That is the biggest bullsh*t saying there ever was. I know many riders who have never been down and have many thousands of miles on their rides.
Agree, 40 years of riding, never been down. So I guess that means my time is still coming! Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead? NOT!!

Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
1 covered bridge incident in 27 something years and that was over 16 yrs ago
Only 27 years. I figured you for at least a 100!
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
Only 27 years. I figured you for at least a 100!
I am 54.. I am old, but not "Charles" old

Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I am 54.. I am old, but not "Charles" old
You're not old, just weathered. I'm going on sixty and look like I could be no more then 58.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm in the "went down" category...26 years ago when I was 18. I liked to corner hard...I mean HARD!! I had a Conti Blitz on the back and it was shredded right to the shoulder. Thought I was invincible until one day I tested the limits of adhesion just a bit too far, hard left hander, 110kph, you know the rest...Had done it a hundred times before-not this time!! Rear drifted out and caught, throwing me upright and started a viscious wobble that threw me off in seconds. Slid about 100 feet up the road and came to rest in the ditch sprawled on my back. Just remember slowly trying to move everything to see if it still worked, then slowly getting to my feet and walking over to survey the damage to my bike which came to rest in the ditch behind me about 20 feet away...completely trashed. Walked away with only road rash on my hip and knees that took a few weeks to heal, but my riding gear was as destroyed as my bike. Heavy leather riding jacket with reinforced shoulders and elbows was worn through in several spots, and the visor on my new Shoei full face helmet had a hole worn completely through it-sure reinforced my faith in good riding gear. Anyway, I was able to take a bit of knowledge away from it and today I am a different rider. Will I go down again? Who knows...can't see the future, but I try to be responsible and ride within my limits and road conditions, and when the LOML is on the back it is ever present in my mind that her life is in my hands.

Steve

Steve
steve in nova scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan07 View Post
No sheeeeeet! I guess I don't worry about "going down." It'd be like going into a firefight expecting to get shot. You're effectiveness/concentration is compromised.

I hit a deer last year at 60mph. Never saw it until I saw the head then...BAM...rib cage to the face. Cleaned me off the back of the bike. It was my fault. It was dark, raining with a heavy fog. I was WAY outriding my ability to see, stop or maneuver.

When I was a kid I fell off of and crashed on a lot of dirt bikes. I'd get back up, get the bike started and take off again. Never thinking I'd probably crash...again. You have to think you can do it safely or...you would never leave your house.

One cannot "fear" what one is doing.

Oh...and I've been riding for upwards of sixty years.

This right here!

If you FEAR it..give up NOW!.. No helmet, no gear, no course is gonna make a difference.. if you fear riding and obsess about crashing, YOU probably will have a crash in your future

Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Funny, I was told I would be most likely to crash when I got over my fear.

They probably meant fear as in respect for physics, but I constantly remember that while I may survive my first crash at speed, there is a significant chance that I won't.
Advertisement