The old saying.... - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmahn View Post
Funny, I was told I would be most likely to crash when I got over my fear.

They probably meant fear as in respect for physics, but I constantly remember that while I may survive my first crash at speed, there is a significant chance that I won't.
some folks mistake fear for respect of the machine

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

I don't know any biker that has not dropped it in the garage or driveway at least once. I know many riders with a lot of years and miles who have never " laid it down "

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
countyhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

Default Tinker bells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I've gone down once. And I am still not a believer of the sayings.

"Not a matter if, it's a matter of when"

"Loud Pipes save lives"

"High beam to be seen"

or the tinker bells to stave off road demons.

etc...
I thought them there bells were to keep the grizzles away, haven't seen any since I hung that bell on mine!!
akachile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by akachile1 View Post
I thought them there bells were to keep the grizzles away, haven't seen any since I hung that bell on mine!!

How bout this one then.. Your best defense is YOU!

OR.....

On the road survival trumps etiquette ( A CrazyDave original )

Every statement you mentioned has some truth to it, and some myth..but bottom line it is only YOU that keeps YOU alive and upright in 99% of the circumstances..and none of us can find that formula for the next person.

Belief in helmet sticker philosophy without the ability to adequately operate your machine ain't getting you anywhere though. Neither is inattention. Relaxed is one thing, sloppy is another. Finally.. not everyone should on a bike..period.. I ain't anyone's judge but if you find you are crashing quite a bit.. well only you can make that connection as to whether you quit or not.

I have done illegal moves to survive.. they tell you not to do that, they don't tell you about the car that is about to come out of nowhere and crush you like a bug..yes they do slip under your radar.. evasive actions are not always pretty.. but they can keep you alive.

Most any rider who has been around will tell you laying it down is NOT what you should try to do.. I wholeheartedly agree.. I intend to keep those two wheels up in every situation and have done a fairly good job of it thus far.. I have no intentions of crashing..now I may eat those words someday.. but by then it will probably be my time anyway.

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by countyhoosier View Post
I don't know any biker that has not dropped it in the garage or driveway at least once. I know many riders with a lot of years and miles who have never " laid it down "

haha I dropped mine my 3rd time out riding. I had to use the restroom really bad and jumped off the bike at a convenience store forgetting to put my kickstand down. Bike toppled over on me LOL! It was a rookie mistake - anyone else done anything dumb like that?

2007 Shadow Spirit 750
https://plus.google.com/photos/11591...CLzH_6iopOqyPQ
coreenleann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreenleann View Post
haha I dropped mine my 3rd time out riding. I had to use the restroom really bad and jumped off the bike at a convenience store forgetting to put my kickstand down. Bike toppled over on me LOL! It was a rookie mistake - anyone else done anything dumb like that?
Heh funny you mention a convenience store drop…I made the mistake of leaning while braking to do the whole pull past the spot to back in and I leaned and came to a stop while leaning. Luckily I am in somewhat good shape and held the bike up by the throttle.…which kept it from going down but my loud exhaust made EVERYONE notice me "HEY LOOK AT THIS IDIOT" only my pride was hurt.

Just Cruise...
Shadow ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #27 (permalink)

I've been down twice, first time on a sopping wet road when a pair of dogs ran in front of a mate of mine. He panic braked and literally used me to try and hold himself upright but brought us both down. Lesson learned at age 17. Never ride too close no matter what. Second time was curiously enough another dog. A huge Boxer sprinted between the front wheel and engine of my old RD250 Yamaha and the bike bucked and spat me right off like a spare prick at a wedding. I tend to avoid dogs at all costs these days. I also went down a couple of times when I used to track race but I don't count those incidents.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

On my 3rd bike, began at 18 and am 44 now and only two minor incidents, myself and a curb resulting in a broken jaw and the school bus that creamed me last Sept resulting in a nasty tear in the bicep muscle for which surgery did more harm than good.
Was wearing camoflauge pants both times oddly enough. Standard army issue the 1st time and blue this last time.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Unless you are laughing ALL the time, then you probably need some REAL medicine, you freak.

shadowmaker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #29 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmaker07 View Post
Was wearing camoflauge pants both times oddly enough. Standard army issue the 1st time and blue this last time.
Yeah..Maybe you should have been wearing a clown suit..they probably didn't see you..

John.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofmyownshadow View Post
There are two types of bikers...ones that have gone down and ones that will. How true is this? How many bikers are there here with say 15-20 years on two wheels that have never put the shiny side down? Give me some feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I've never heard that expression. It's obviously from someone who just "doesn't know." And it's only as true as you want it to be. Ride safe everyone!
ACE VT750 Service Manual Download

Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!
Aced It is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement