The old saying.... - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
Yeah..Maybe you should have been wearing a clown suit..they probably didn't see you..

John.
And you are calling me a clown why??

They say laughter is the best medicine. Unless you are laughing ALL the time, then you probably need some REAL medicine, you freak.

shadowmaker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #32 (permalink)

Garage

I've been riding for 35+ years now; went down on gravel during my first week of riding, never down since.

I firmly believe that the more skill a rider has the less likely he is to go down.
This is true for me at least.

It's not the bike; it's the rider.
2012 Harley-Davidson 103 cu. in. FXDF; Stage 1 modifications, Vance & Hines exhaust, Harley-Davidson security system
'03 Honda 750 Shadow Spirit; '93 Yamaha 750 Virago

Ride bells by old dad and Ann
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #33 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
That is the biggest bullsh*t saying there ever was. I know many riders who have never been down and have many thousands of miles on their rides.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS A few who have been down seem to buy that because it was true for them. but they are in the minority of all riders. Maybe makes them feel good to know "they got that out of the way and can now enjoy the ride" My first get off will be my last ride...one way or another.

IF I thought that crock was true for one minute I would sell the bike today 35 years of safe upright riding. That would mean my odds are suddenly extremely high of having a get off. Yet they are the same as yesterday 2% of ALL riders have an injurious get off out of 6 million riders every year <5000 lose their lives. All the riders i knew who have been down were high risk riders. Sport bike adrenalin junkies (my brother STILL at 57) and a few who love to bar hop and ride. Many riders are their own worst enemy not the drivers.

Last edited by Hondaguy; 12-13-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #34 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

I think we have to decide what we are talking about..are we saying if you lean the bike too far when you are stationary and it slowly falls over that is not a drop or fall, are we saying only falls that break some skin count, are we saying that if the bike falls over in the garage while you are not there it is not a fall even if you did not lower the kickstand correctly, what about when you put your foot down on soft mud and sink into it enough to lose traction..there are so many different types of accident that you may not count, but I count them all..
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #35 (permalink)

And...to repeat what CD mentioned...not EVERYONE should be riding. I see it all the time. Some are not coordinated or do not have the high "sense" of balance to be riding. Yeah...I said it. Some do not have the innate ability to unconsciously perform 4 or 5 things all at once.

Just because your kids are grown, you're financially capable of the purchase and your wife gives you "permission" to actually get a bike...doesn't mean you should.

Note: The use of the term "your" is not pointed at any specific individual.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aced It View Post
I've never heard that expression. It's obviously from someone who just "doesn't know." And it's only as true as you want it to be. Ride safe everyone!
And how long have you been riding?
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #37 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan07 View Post
And...to repeat what CD mentioned...not EVERYONE should be riding. I see it all the time. Some are not coordinated or do not have the high "sense" of balance to be riding. Yeah...I said it. Some do not have the innate ability to unconsciously perform 4 or 5 things all at once.
I'll second the no sense of balance observation.

In the MSF basic class I took, 3 people dropped out on the first riding day because they could not stay upright. Two of them, repeatedly laid the bike down when trying to go in a straight line. The other, well, he couldn't even take one foot off of the ground without the bike tipping to that side.

6 more dropped out after that, but I do not know their reasons. They were in the other group.

Imp
Impster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #38 (permalink)

Only if you ride like my buddy, Bob, did. He rode for 70+ years until he was too old to hold up his Goldwing one day and it fell over on him at a stop sign. After that his wife said he couldn't ride anymore. Now he rides OPs and has to sneak them like I used to sneak cigarettes. That was his first and only lay-down of a bike.

"Past experience carries with its advantages the drawback that things never happen the same way again." - Winston Churchill

E'ville Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #39 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by countyhoosier View Post
I don't know any biker that has not dropped it in the garage or driveway at least once. I know many riders with a lot of years and miles who have never " laid it down "

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Then allow me to introduce myself............

Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #40 (permalink)

Garage

Any one know "Tip over Ted" He pulled up to a red light and forgot to put his feet down! Whoops!
Advertisement