The old saying.... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The old saying....

There are two types of bikers...ones that have gone down and ones that will. How true is this? How many bikers are there here with say 15-20 years on two wheels that have never put the shiny side down? Give me some feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

That is the biggest bullsh*t saying there ever was. I know many riders who have never been down and have many thousands of miles on their rides.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

I learned in a hurry that sneakers and wet grass do not mix. Luckily I was in my yard and only going about 5mph. I wear boots all the time now. Just bruised my ego and broke a clutch mount.
Does that count as my one wreck?
Bow&Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

I sure hope this doesn't jinks me! 50 years of riding and never been down! I had my Heritage in a slide a few years ago when a Lady pulled out in front of me but kept it up! Went down on dirt bikes a few times 40+ years ago but that is pretty much a given! Never took a Rider course either but do as I say and not as I do! Take a riders course if your new to riding! I would probably take an advanced course if one was offered near my location and fit my schedule!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

I've gone down once. And I am still not a believer of the sayings.

"Not a matter if, it's a matter of when"

"Loud Pipes save lives"

"High beam to be seen"

or the tinker bells to stave off road demons.

etc...
GilaMinumBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Serves its purpose as a reminder to be cautious and not feel invincible regardless of experience. Of course it's not 100% true, there are people who have gone their whole live without a wreck, but remembering that it happens is what helps to keep it that way.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofmyownshadow View Post
There are two types of bikers...ones that have gone down and ones that will.
There must be a lot of folks who believe that….judging by all the "crash gear" they wear.
wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

That's just another saying like "there are two types of people Lottery winners and potential lottery winners."

I've gone down a few times in 52 years, a few of them have been leaning over too far when parked, only fell off twice, once when showing off when I was learning, and once coming around a blind corner on a steep hill with cars all across the road and nowhere to go..both times I walked away with ridable damage and wounded pride..

John.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallasan10 View Post
There must be a lot of folks who believe that….judging by all the "crash gear" they wear.

No sheeeeeet! I guess I don't worry about "going down." It'd be like going into a firefight expecting to get shot. You're effectiveness/concentration is compromised.

I hit a deer last year at 60mph. Never saw it until I saw the head then...BAM...rib cage to the face. Cleaned me off the back of the bike. It was my fault. It was dark, raining with a heavy fog. I was WAY outriding my ability to see, stop or maneuver.

When I was a kid I fell off of and crashed on a lot of dirt bikes. I'd get back up, get the bike started and take off again. Never thinking I'd probably crash...again. You have to think you can do it safely or...you would never leave your house.

One cannot "fear" what one is doing.

Oh...and I've been riding for upwards of sixty years.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is only one kind of biker...those that can go down. Those that don't can thank skill and luck (and we make 90% of our own luck). I don't believe that you can ride for 20 years without an accident based on luck alone...those people generally have to be doing a lot of things right.

PA Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement