Recommend me a commuter - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

Here are a few 650 Nighthawks:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/3454739236.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/3488844554.html

I'm in Chicago Ridge, and I'll keep an eye out for anything that pops up.

Last edited by seanie; 12-24-2012 at 04:45 PM.
seanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
My vote would go to the Strom or the Versys, with a slight lean towards the Zook. While I have seen VStroms go fairly cheap, I doubt you'll find a decent one for less than $3500.

I would not want to battle heavy traffic on an under powered cruiser. You need the ability to out manuever and out accelerate/out brake any problems you may run across. A ponderous cruiser is not the right tool for that job.
Waaay agree....I would not want to battle ANY traffic on an under powered bike. I have learned acceleration can be far more effective than braking in pucker moments...which is why I will likely get a commuter at some point.

Before the NCX700 I would have chosen the V Strom..... But now I am not so sure. Honda sure makes a nice bike and yet the Zook is a proven ride.

Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Ninja 300 w/ anti lock brakes.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Any votes for a Bandit from Suzuki ?
PA SHADOW 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

Garage

I was looking hard at the Bandit but I think they're 1200 with 40mpg <200 mile range tank only. Also on the list but not mentioned is Honda's 599 but they're rare finds and usually pricey when they pop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post
Before the NCX700 I would have chosen the V Strom..... But now I am not so sure. Honda sure makes a nice bike and yet the Zook is a proven ride.
I have to admit the biggest draw of the NC700X is how similar it is to the max and would make for a great kid brother. It has wannabe fake scoops, a gas tank under the seat, and the full size helmet storage for a gas tank is even a step up from the max which just has an airbox in its faux tank. Pound for pound on the specs the strom is still ahead of it IMO, but if I were looking new and not a rat bike the price tag would probably tip the scales in the NC700X's favor. Hard to beat ABS and all it's other bells and whistles for $7k. Hell the Ninja 300 that was mentioned will be pushing $5k when loaded with ABS.

Last edited by ZackDaniels; 12-25-2012 at 12:34 PM.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

I don't think you get ABS unless you spring for the NC700X DCT for $9000.
vzshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackDaniels View Post
I was looking hard at the Bandit but I think they're 1200 with 40mpg <200 mile range tank only. Also on the list but not mentioned is Honda's 599 but they're rare finds and usually pricey when they pop up.

I have to admit the biggest draw of the NC700X is how similar it is to the max and would make for a great kid brother. It has wannabe fake scoops, a gas tank under the seat, and the full size helmet storage for a gas tank is even a step up from the max which just has an airbox in its faux tank. Pound for pound on the specs the strom is still ahead of it IMO, but if I were looking new and not a rat bike the price tag would probably tip the scales in the NC700X's favor. Hard to beat ABS and all it's other bells and whistles for $7k. Hell the Ninja 300 that was mentioned will be pushing $5k when loaded with ABS.
The scoops don't bother me. I see them on Tacomas....kind of like those "pec implants" for guys LOL One reason I like the Honda is the storage without bags. my biggest hesitation would be the height, I have ridden the Strom and its a tad high but a great ride otherwise. I just have an affinity for Honda especially when priced right. That said the ABS version is higher than $7k although I don't think ABS would be of supreme value in this area. Doesn't rain a whole lot and no sandy spring, or leafy Fall roads to deal with. I would pay $500 more for ABS. Not $1000.

Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement