Helmet's stolen - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbob View Post
Never had one stolen when I've left it sitting on the sissy bar. Most often I just carry it in with me.
I never leave items sitting on the sissy bar..they very rarely clean those things.

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

The helmet lock on my VLX becomes inaccessible because of the saddlebags. Usually I'll just leave the helmet on the sissy bar, hang it on the grips, or leave it on the ground.

I'll have to come up with a more secure solution.

Still, I've never had one stolen and I don't worry about it much, but as stated previously, some people will steal anything.

Menhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Had an old helmet stolen off the bike parked at the grocery a few years ago. Figured it was kids acting goofy. Generally carry ours cause we don't have a convenient way of securing it to the current ride.

We trudge on.
We trudge on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default Helmet Stolen

I dont mind spending the bucks on one helmet but it would tick me off if I had to do it twice...I take it with me.
TCLOCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

Garage

I always lock it to the bike with a 4' cable lock through the rear wheel with a serious padlock; keeps it snugly held to the passenger seat and further discourages bike theft.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #26 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

I take my gloves off and drape them over the sissy bar or the mirror, then I fit the helmet over them..Most of the people I meet know they shouldn't try to steal from me..sometimes it's good to be ugly..

John.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #27 (permalink)

For the most part I just hang mine over the mirror. I am in the same area as Hondaguy and don't really worry about it too much. Most around here are riding without a helmet anyway so most of them would not want it. There have been a few times where I was going to be away from the bike for an extended amount of time and I work it into my saddlebag.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #28 (permalink)

If I'm away from the bike for a short time, I use the helmet lock. For longer stretches, such as when I'm at work, it comes inside with me. I'm not worried about other riders, but people do steal anything they think might bring five dollars for the next fix.

This is probably a good thread to ask a related question on...some people say they leave their jacket with the bike, too. I had a good leather jacket nicked from the lunchroom of the small factory I used to work at year ago and it still eats at me, though I know it shouldn't. I've considered running a cable lock through the sleeves to secure my jacket to the bike so that I don't have to carry it around with me during stops for lunch and such. Does anyone do this and have you had any problems?

PA Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

You do not have an option in my part of the country. Like has been said, around here if it ain't bolted on, welded on, chained on or locked on it will be gone. ( and these actions are no guarantee as I found out not to long ago )

The culture that has inundated the southwest United States goes by the rule, it is all right to steal. The only wrong with stealing is getting caught.

Hell, my barn has been broken into 2 times in the last 2 months in broad daylight. The second time they broke in they cut the chain off the door with bolt cutters then proceeded to steal the 6 foot chain and the Master padlock that I am sure was still locked in the chain. They busted the ignition out of my Rebel - trying to hot wire it I guess but had no success. They did take the tool box on the floor not far from it and the barrel bag that was just laying on the seat.

Around here if you don't lock your helmet on or take it in with you - your next action will be buying a replacement.

2007 VT750C2
2006 VTX 1800C3
2007 CMX 250

rjtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #30 (permalink)

i have never locked my lid, always put it right on the mirror and so far its been there everyone i return. I'm in a pretty populated area but never had an issue.

2001 spirit 1100 , vance and hines long shots, , a few other small mods. Now also with a mustang seat
dorfman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement