Helmet noise - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Helmet noise

I have an HJC full face which is very comfortable but at highway speed the wind noise is awful. Can anyone recommend a more quiet helmet.
Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.
trabb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

No. There may be some "objective" tests out there to determine how noisy a particular helmet is, but any test must necessarily employ parameters of wind speed, direction, turbulence etc. that will surely not be duplicated exactly in your riding.

On most or all of the FF helmets I have had I could significantly reduce the noise by covering one side of shield (more or less over the ratcheting pivot) with my hand. The reduction of noise from that side is immediately obvious. Try it.

So one solution would be to tape over the the seam where faceshield and helmet meet -- although that would of course make it impossible to open the shield.

The best solution is to wear earplugs.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

ha! let me know when you find it. I have a Hawk full face helmet that rattles like crazy when all the vents are open. It's a cheap-ish helmet but I like the way it looks and it's pretty comfortable except for the rattling.
CaptKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would guess 1/2 or 3/4 helmets would be even noisier. Never tried either, always had FF.
trabb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Do you have a windshield on your bike? If not your not going find anything that is quiet, I had 2 ARAI's in the past and they are great helmets. I now have a Nolan flip face and it is both comfortable and quiet. I do have a windshield on my bike and that does make a difference. ARAI makes a great helmet that is quiet, comfortable and light weight.
Arai Corsair V Nicky-3 Helmet - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

before you toss that HJC, make sure it isn't just the excess piece of strap, tuck it away better and I think that will solve most of your noise issue

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

My AFX 3/4 helmet isn't as noisy as the Hawk, but it doesn't have as many vents.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Also, as noted above, my new lowers really cut down on the amount of buffeting and noise.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Shoei Qwest it the quietest full face helmet I've had. I actually find my AGV RP60 is quieter than the Shoei.
vzshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

My full face HJC is noisy as well. It's almost unbearable without earplugs on long rides. It's just something about the way the helmet amplifies the wind noise. My Licks NOVDOT is MUCH quieter and it's an open face 3/4 helmet. I actually haven't even wore the HJC since I purchase the NOVDOT.
Advertisement