Starting mileage for 2013 - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750
100% stock, except for backrest and small leather sissybar pouch.
Current mileage: 23,800

Mileage in 2013: ???
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #22 (permalink)

Garage

Gats right.. hey if you like rolling on meaningless miles great..if I wanted to do that I would just drive the truck.. Every year it seems I hear the same thing.. wish I brought the camera, wish I stopped there and explored.. etc.. why didn't they? Someone got them believing that miles in the saddle means everything.. it don't

Edit

I should point out I don't think the Ops intent was a discussion of whose got the bigger sack because they rode the biggest amount of miles

Last edited by CrazyDave; 01-02-2013 at 05:12 PM.
CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #23 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
Tell that to IBA members. I doubt if most riders can get on a slab and knock out 600 miles in a day.
my average weekend ride is between 200-250.. I can and have hopped on the bike and done mid 500 mile days even without spending time on a a super slab.. it ain't that hard, just generally pointless to me

Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #24 (permalink)

2013 phantom
Bone stock
0.00 miles as of 1/1/13
Byromh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byromh View Post
2013 phantom
Bone stock
0.00 miles as of 1/1/13
Grats..

I realized I never posted my starting mileage:

2009 Nomad 1700:

2007 Shadow vt750c2:

Put 70 miles on tonight, boring commute, most of it in the rain.. :/
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Gats right.. hey if you like rolling on meaningless miles great..if I wanted to do that I would just drive the truck.. Every year it seems I hear the same thing.. wish I brought the camera, wish I stopped there and explored.. etc.. why didn't they? Someone got them believing that miles in the saddle means everything.. it don't

Edit

I should point out I don't think the Ops intent was a discussion of whose got the bigger sack because they rode the biggest amount of miles
Somebody tells you they rode "X" number of miles and you got the right to blow those miles off as "meaningless" even though you’ve never even met the rider much less rode with them? Not me. I’m not gonna do that. It’s their bike, their time, and their miles. As far as I’m concerned they can do with them as they please without having to worry about me looking down my nose at them.
Back in 1972 when I was stationed at Fort Monmouth, NJ, my roommate pulled his motor (a pan head) out of his bike in the parking lot and rebuilt it in our room in the barracks. He got it back in the bike just in time to ride it to Virginia and back for Christmas.

"Meaningless Slab" all the way!

If you don’t know, maybe you should not judge.
wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallasan10 View Post
Back in 1972 when I was stationed at Fort Monmouth, NJ, my roommate pulled his motor (a pan head) out of his bike in the parking lot and rebuilt it in our room in the barracks. He got it back in the bike just in time to ride it to Virginia and back for Christmas.

If you donít know, maybe you should not judge.
Ah see, that's the cherry....The story. It means something. If you had just said "My roommate rode the Eway for X number of miles"....it means nothing. The story is what gives it meaning. Time was limited, lonely soldier far from home trying to get home to mom for Christmas, did what he had to do to make it happen. The story gives the miles meaning.

I suspect you already understand this, but it should be said that any time someone makes a post on a forum we all have a right to make a comment (a "judgement" if you will) just like I did initially and now, and just like you did in response to my comment. What gives you the right to judge my judgement? Or do you see yourself as holier than I?

We only know what we are told, and too often, we aren't told enough. I'm guilty of this myself. I don't type well so my comments are often abreviated. I try hard to give details about the rides I report on, even so I don't write well. There are many here whose stories are fascinating to read. They tell us not only how many, but where, and why, and how, and with whom. They make me feel like I was right there with them.

Go over to advrider and read some ride reports. Clear some time, there's lots of them. Yes, they'll tell you how many miles they went. That's a part of every forum. "I did X number of miles, aren't you impressed". But then they'll tell you what they saw on the back side of South America, or Baja, or South Wales.

Again, to me the miles are meaningless. It's what you did with them that matters. Had you read (or at least paid some attention) to what I wrote in my initial comment, I said that if just burning gas and holding the bars is your thing, that's fine with me. I was there, once upon a time.

Now, I want that time to mean more. As Dave said, stop, take pictures, smell the flowers. Do us old guys a solid, and think about it, at the very least.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #28 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallasan10 View Post
Somebody tells you they rode "X" number of miles and you got the right to blow those miles off as "meaningless" even though youíve never even met the rider much less rode with them? Not me. Iím not gonna do that. Itís their bike, their time, and their miles. As far as Iím concerned they can do with them as they please without having to worry about me looking down my nose at them.

If you donít know, maybe you should not judge.
You are correct.. it is their ride, they have every right, and frankly I don't care , my comments were not directed toward those who choose to ride this way, not in intent or context.. my comment were directed at those who seem to think that mileage is some kind of bench mark that somehow proves something.. it doesn't, it just tells me that they ride lot's of miles.. which in of itself to me is meaningless. John rides a lot of miles, far more then I do, John brings something back with him other then bragging rights of the miles he has racked on.. John brings back a a piece of himself, a bit of his ride, his experiences while out there.. Oh and as far as rights and judgments are concerned, yeah I have the right to form my own opinions and yeah I have the right to form my own judgements . Are they right? A few are dead on, some.. I dunno, but they work for me.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #29 (permalink)

There is no such thing as a "meaningless" mile on a motorcycle. Just because someone tells you how many miles they traveled doesnít mean that they were "just burning gas and holding the bars" any more than a tree that fell in the forest didnít make any noise simply because you werenít there to hear it. The OP told us how many miles he traveled and said that his hope is to ride a lot more in the New Year. I take from that that he enjoyed last year enough to want more. He must be doing something right. Did he enjoy his miles more than I enjoyed mine? No way to measure that.
wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750
100% stock, except for backrest and small leather sissybar pouch.
Current mileage: 23,800

Mileage in 2013: ???
Update: Mileage as of 1/4/13 @ 2:30pm: 23,824

There. Brrrrr... Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to warm up next to the fire in my fireplace and get a cup of hot cocoa. It is 42*F right now and I wasn't prepared for such a cold ride.

Go ahead... Go ahead... Call me a wimp.
Advertisement