Getting spouse to ride - Page 5 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #41 (permalink)

My wife just decided a few months ago to buy a bike so she could ride with me and I'm totally thrilled about it, but like others said, there's no real way to convince a person to do something they don't want to do.

What made my wife decide to ride after years of wanting nothing to do with them? Now that we're in our 50's with an empty nest, we made a conscious decision not to end up two old people whose kids were the only things they had in common. We've been finding things that we each love to do and are trying them together. Fortunately we have always enjoyed being with each other more than anyone else so trying something new is fun because we're doing it with the person we enjoy being with the most.

Neither one of us is worried about leading the other to their doom, but then again neither is coercing the other to do something they can't get their head around doing.

OP... I hope your wife reconsiders and gives it a try, but if not, enjoy the ride regardless.
meeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #42 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnus2000 View Post
Curious - if she said she had a change of heart and signed up to take the class - would you support her?
Yeah I would have to because we allow each other our personal choices of risks to do what we enjoy separate from each other's sensibilities.

I am more than happy she hates the bike so that is not something she would ever do. She implores me to buy a Vette or some convertible "sport" car. She does not understand the difference.

Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Have you thought about taking turns driving/riding on the back? LOL
Just reading that put a shiver down my spine.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #44 (permalink)

It's got to be something she really want's to do, if for nothing else safety. When you really want to learn something, you focus more, and that's a big plus for your survival riding a bike. If she's happy riding on the back,great, at least she's happy! My first attempt to get my wife to ride, was 20years ago on my YZ250 dirtbike. She did good at the beginning, but then for some reason froze. I had to run across the field chasing my YZ,and her,screaming "pull in the clutch" several times. She was heading straight for the fence around the field, and she wasn't even trying to turn, just kept going straight for the fence. That was freaking me out, she wasn't even listening to me, I though she was a goner. That was the end of her riding career,she's happy riding on the back, and she tells me that. Funny thing is, she rode me around the field on the back for about a half hour, and did OK.

1984 Goldwing Aspencade 98% Restored and counting!

Last edited by Coolride; 01-04-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Coolride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #45 (permalink)

Default Getting spouse to ride

Hi Cuzmondo,

Here is my take on this and to anyone else looking to get an apprehensive rider interested in riding.

I never was interested in learning to ride a motorcycle and said I never would to others.

In the meanwhile, I was very interested in riding a scooter being that it was easy, automatic, and a ton of fun, so when I saw one that seemed right, I took the plunge.

I ended up getting a full-size 150 cc Aprilia Scarabeo. They are not real popular where I live but can be found most anywhere. The things that are nice about the Aprilia is that it can go on the highway, can go fast, is automatic and has real big, full-size wheels. It has no motorcycle learning curve and is a blast for around town as well as riding with motorcycle buddies.

After I got real comfortable on that (3 years spring, summer, and fall), I had the itch to try a small motorcycle and very slowly learned the shifting and such on a small 250cc Suzuki. I was not intimidated at all having learned all the leaning, cornering, and such.

I ended up wanting a 250 but a friend talked me out of that, and I purchased a 600 VLX. I was scared out of my gourd at first, although the motorcycles seem to be lower seated than my scooter. I eventually went faster and faster, got my confidence, and a few months later took the safety course on a 250 with obvious mastery having riden the 600 already.

Also, I got my license on the scooter, which is easy to do a year after its purchase.

So.....this is a bit long, but maybe your wife will enjoy just riding a used scooter and can go on rides with you for the time being.

To this day, I still love zipping around on it with no shifting, quick pick up, and a big top box for groceries. In fact the 150 scooter weighs in at 350 pounds more than the 250 cc motorcycle I rode.

Hope this helps someone. It doesn't have to be an all or none thing.

Good luck,
Sacandagalady
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #46 (permalink)

Default Taking Turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgelphman View Post
Have you thought about taking turns driving/riding on the back? LOL
Nope, never gave it a thought and never will. I will not ride on back of a bike with anyone, especially a beginner. I guess that's part of the reason I don't understand how she likes riding back there and has no interest in driving. I've been on the back with other people that laid bikes down with me on back a couple times in my younger days and don't care to be in that position again. Yes, I understand it could happen to me, but at least I'll be at the helm.
cuzmondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacandagalady View Post
So.....this is a bit long, but maybe your wife will enjoy just riding a used scooter and can go on rides with you for the time being.

To this day, I still love zipping around on it with no shifting, quick pick up, and a big top box for groceries. In fact the 150 scooter weighs in at 350 pounds more than the 250 cc motorcycle I rode.

Hope this helps someone. It doesn't have to be an all or none thing.

Good luck,
Sacandagalady
Sacandagalady;
Well said and I will take that into consideration. I did offer to acquire a smaller dirt bike but she still ain't interested.

Cuz
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #48 (permalink)

Thanks again to all for the bounty of information and suggestions. This has been a very informative and interesting conversation. I'm going to just be happy that we're able to have fun together and will see how things develop. Not going to push, but will support her in what ever she decides.

I've "pushed" her into lots of things over our years together, and as far as I can tell she has enjoyed all of them; boating, to include water skiiing, wakeboarding, fishing and diving, and martial arts to name a few. She's never been quite so apprehensive about any of them as she is about riding, so I know when to say when.

Cuz
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #49 (permalink)

We both got the Bike bug over the summer. She pushed to take the MSF course. We both passed. She looked everyday online at dealerships and Craigs list for bikes. We bought my '03 750 ACE in October. We bought her Yamaha Vstar 650 Classic in November. Its been her pushing the whlole way and we're having a blast! I love my wife!

Like others have said, she has to have the bug to ride a bike.

'03 Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe
Kuryakyn ISO-Grips and pegs
Lindby Linbar Highway Bar
Memphis Shades Fats Ruby windshield & lowers
Stock pipes & seats
K&N Air filter
Barefoot Willies cup holder
Jafrum Bags
Cobra Lightbar
HJC IS-33 Helmet
SENA SMH-10-11 radio comm.
Michelin Commander II's
Jimm57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #50 (permalink)

As for me and my wife, she doesn't want to ride, up front or in back, my bike, or one of her own.

So, although it would be nice to have her come along on my trips, how could I have fun knowing she's not?

But although she doesn't ride, she knows I enjoy it and doesn't mind when I take a trip, as long the crops are in, the chores are done, and I leave her some spendin' money.

I always ask her if she'd like to come along anyway. She always says "No, but go on and have fun."
In any case, I have a well maintained Vespa motorscooter in the back yard that she can use anytime she wants to give it a try.

But it'll be her choice.

Strangely, my older daughter loves to ride with me. My younger daughter thinks motorcycles are cool, but she won't. Go figure.

Menhir is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement