Getting spouse to ride - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting spouse to ride

O.K. so I'm wondering how I might encourage my wife to get into riding her own bike. I grew up with bikes, everyone rode, Mom, Dad, sisters, myself, cousins, uncles, and all my friends, so even after being away from riding for a while it all came back pretty easily. My wife, on the other hand never "rode" her own bike, even though she rode with her Dad from time to time. We briefly owned a 600VLX that I had hoped she would learn to ride and I'd move up. She basically said she wasn't having anything to do with it, but quickly suggested I get a bigger bike (1100 Spirit). She loves riding with me, and frequently asks to go for a ride, but just doesn't want to ride on her own.

Should I just let this go, or is there anything you guys and gals have done to encourage your mate to take up the sport. I'm grateful that she likes riding with me, and the fact that she is on board with spending money to make the bike more cruiser friendly, but it might be even more fun if we both rode.

Let's hear it, thanks.
cuzmondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

You can't force her to ride. She has to want to. You could suggest her taking the riders safety course. It' won't cost you much and that will be a tell tale sign if she wants to pursue riding any further.

My wife rode w/ me, and one day she said she wanted to learn how to ride. So we signed her up, she's been riding for 9 years now.

Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Have you considered enrolling her in a beginner's safety course?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
pmoorhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I think it is something that they have to want on their own. My wife love riding with me and has done it for yrs. A few different times she has wanted to ride on her own but says she enjoys being on back with me better. I figure as long as she is happy doing what she does I wont pressure her either way.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

started with me riding, then she showed some interest, took her out to large parking lot and let her pratice some of the things they teach you in riding class, she took the motorcycle riding /saftey course, I found a deal on a bike for her, and she started slow riding her own following me, was alot of waiting for her, as she got more comfortable riding , pretty soon she was riding by herself, we was tacking trips, first long trip was 250 miles and from there we take of furter ,depending where we was heading, she loves to ride and show of her bike , but she takes it easy, runs speed limit, and slows in corners.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow, thank you all for the for the quick responses. I've offered to pay for the riding course for her, but she hasn't bit. I'll probably just let it go and see if she takes an interest. Maybe in the spring when we can get out and ride more often, hopefully with groups of riders, she may get inspired by other female riders.
cuzmondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

My husband had ridden throughout his teens and early 20s, but I never gave it much thought and had never been on a motorcycle before I bought mine (a Suzuki 250). I signed up for the rider safety course and my husband was amazed at my skills and confidence when I got home. Shortly afterwards, he bought another bike. I'm on my second bike as I "outgrew" the Suzuki right away, and he's on his third. I guess my point is, she has to want to do it... Maybe she likes being your backrest!

Captain Kathy
Love my 2005 Honda Shadow VLX 600
CaptKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I see no plus side to a wife riding her own.

When my wife and I are on a ride, I am resposible for her safety. Her being on the back, gives me complete control of that safety. If she was on her own scoot, I would still be responsible for her safety but I'd have less control over it. It's one h3ll of a lot easier me to keep two people on one bike alive than it is for me keep two people on two bikes healthy.

Next is simple economics. I currently have three motorcycles. Lets assume that they all get around 40 miles per gallon. I can only ride one at a time, so any time I'm riding, I'm getting 40 MPG. If another one of my bikes is on the road with me, I'm now getting 20 MPG. Tires, wear, maintenance, every thing doubles. I might as well take the truck.

I never encourage anyone to ride. If you want to ride and you ask questions...I'll help. But if I encourage (push) someone to ride, and something bad happens to them, some of the responsibility goes to me. I'm not going there.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
I see no plus side to a wife riding her own.

When my wife and I are on a ride, I am resposible for her safety. Her being on the back, gives me complete control of that safety. If she was on her own scoot, I would still be responsible for her safety but I'd have less control over it. It's one h3ll of a lot easier me to keep two people on one bike alive than it is for me keep two people on two bikes healthy.

Next is simple economics. I currently have three motorcycles. Lets assume that they all get around 40 miles per gallon. I can only ride one at a time, so any time I'm riding, I'm getting 40 MPG. If another one of my bikes is on the road with me, I'm now getting 20 MPG. Tires, wear, maintenance, every thing doubles. I might as well take the truck.

I never encourage anyone to ride. If you want to ride and you ask questions...I'll help. But if I encourage (push) someone to ride, and something bad happens to them, some of the responsibility goes to me. I'm not going there.
Wow - how narcissistic and controlling you are and if I may say a tad arrogant.

I routinely encourage people to ride. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Life is not "either, or" - Life is "both, and"

Riding for the Sun!
hunnus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

For now you need to be content with the fact that she enjoys riding with you. Some don't even want to do that. If she decides to give it a go, she'll let you know. Let her know that if she ever wants to give it a try, you'll make it happen, but you aren't going to push. That's the route I would go.

PA Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement