Considering upgrading - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to tgelphman
Default Considering upgrading

A few months back i purchased my first bike, an 05 VLX 600. I absolutely love it. However, I am considering upgrading now to a bigger bike, not necessarily my final bike as I'm OK going up in steps. I am pretty sure i want to stay in the Honda line. I definitely want to stay in the cruiser style.

I'm interested in hearing opinions on what a good size for my next bike would be.

05 VLX 600 - first bike.
tgelphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgelphman View Post
A few months back i purchased my first bike, an 05 VLX 600. I absolutely love it. However, I am considering upgrading now to a bigger bike, not necessarily my final bike as I'm OK going up in steps. I am pretty sure i want to stay in the Honda line. I definitely want to stay in the cruiser style.
Well first off, you'e only been riding for a few months, and on only one scooter.....how do you know you won't like some other style bike? Cruisers handle poorly compared to many other styles, and VTwin engines are notoriously under powered for their displacement. An inline configuration in the 600cc range can easily put out more than twice the horsepower of your engine. Different rake/trail steering geometries can allow you to do some really amazing things with a motorcycle.

Why get hung up on one genre. Variety is the spice of life. There is Sport, Dual Sport, Sport Touring, standard/naked, Touring bikes. Lots of other tastes out there to try. For that matter, being stuck on Honda removes about 90% of the available bikes out there from your choices.

As you said, you're looing for your next ride not your last. Broaden your horizons.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

What gat said. Go forth and look at/sit on/test ride as many motorbikes as you can. Take your time. Scope out the whole field. A revelation will come.

We trudge on.
We trudge on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to tgelphman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
Well first off, you'e only been riding for a few months, and on only one scooter.....how do you know you won't like some other style bike? Cruisers handle poorly compared to many other styles, and VTwin engines are notoriously under powered for their displacement. An inline configuration in the 600cc range can easily put out more than twice the horsepower of your engine. Different rake/trail steering geometries can allow you to do some really amazing things with a motorcycle.

Why get hung up on one genre. Variety is the spice of life. There is Sport, Dual Sport, Sport Touring, standard/naked, Touring bikes. Lots of other tastes out there to try. For that matter, being stuck on Honda removes about 90% of the available bikes out there from your choices.

As you said, you're looing for your next ride not your last. Broaden your horizons.
Makes a great deal of sense. Thanks for the valuable input.

05 VLX 600 - first bike.
tgelphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Go to a bike show and sit on a few. Look for a good deal if it's not going to be your final bike. The honda 1300 line is good. A Yamaha Royal Star is a fun cruiser. Balance wise, the yamaha raider tops the list, and it's a 1800cc!

You can also get something fun. Lot's of bobbers for sale out there....

2009 Stratoliner (mine), 2008 Stratoliner (hers), 2010 Harley Rocker, 2002 Honda VLX
Steve-O
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Agreed that you should ride more and try to sit on a variety of different bikes. As to your wanting to stay with Honda line, the VT1100's are great mid size bikes and plentiful on CL/E-Bay. I don't think you should make the leap to anything new for a bit yet. The more time in the saddle the more you'll learn what you do and don't like about your current bike and will be a better judge of the step up.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgelphman View Post

I'm interested in hearing opinions on what a good size for my next bike would be.
Two things: The VLX 600 is an awesome bike, and the bigger Shadows are just as awesome, but more powerful. I went from a 750 Shadow to an 1100 Shadow. I loved the 750 and I love the 1100. If you're happy with your 600, you can't go wrong with the same thing only bigger.
'72 CL350 - You never forget your first
rb608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm on about my 20th bike but my first cruiser. I loved them all. You can't go wrong - whatever you get will be an experience and then you will move on to something else. Personally I think all riders should spend some time on a dirt bike as the experience is invaluable. I rode the Sabre through a severe storm last week in the mountains and the bike was sliding a fair bit. I was glad of my other experiences to help me through. I think variety is the key - just have to convince the wife now

squarebore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarebore View Post
I think all riders should spend some time on a dirt bike as the experience is invaluable......I think variety is the key - just have to convince the wife now

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Whatever you do, think it through! Sit on bikes ask a lot of questions but make sure what you want. Enjoy the 600 for now, if you stay with a cruiser you probably will want a 1100+, if you plan on hwy or a lot of two up riding. Or if you are a bigger person you can stretch out a little more.
Good luck!
Coop

My Mistress 2006 VTX 1300R
Ride Bells By OldDad
http://coops.vtxgarage.com/
Coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement