I never learn. - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I never learn.

It never fails. Every time I change my oil I have difficult time with the filter. Not terrible bad mind you but difficult. I end up using a Caterpillar strap wrench that I used on heavy equipment 30 years ago. I’m sure there are other tools that would do the job but this thing is in my toolbox and it has never failed me no matter what equipment I’m changing the oil in. But the thing is as I’m struggling to remove the filter, I always think to myself "there was no need for it to be this tight". So when I’m installing the new filter I clean the gasket surface on the motor and oil the gasket on the filter. Then I tighten it by hand just like you are supposed to. As I’m laying there looking at the filter I think about how bad it would be should it come loose while on the road so I tighten it just a little more. Then I think about how bad if all that oil coated my rear tire so I tighten it a little more. Then I think about how bad it would be if my first hint that anything was wrong my oil soaked rear tire losing traction in a curve so I tighten it a little more. Finally, I think about that Cat wrench in my toolbox and I get it as tight as I can possibly get it by hand. So, there I am, all set up for next time.
wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

My friend we share on this..I just seem to have issues when I do oil changes on this bike.. oh no , not all the time but.. The great one.. 3 ( count em ) 3 changes in one day.. forgot to take the filter off twice.. so out went the no contaminated oil.. twice.. And the battle of the filter of 2011..what a war it was.. two new filter wrenches, hammer, chisel and two days of frustration.. yeah it suck.. I'll load the pipe in your honor.

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had a filter issue many years, but on my car. I was at college and started to change the oil and the filter would not come off. The more I tried, the more it crumbled. After a lot of frustation, I had the entire filter body off but the metal base was still bonded against the motor. I then chiseled part of the metal base off as I attempted to create a notch in the edge as a driving point to spin the base free. This went on for a few weeks so fortunately I had no place to go at college.

Finally, I mentioned it to one of the engineering students who got under my car, took some measurements of the pass through holes in the filter base. He went back to the lab, welded up a small tool that fit into two of the holes and that tool allowed him to spin the base off very easily.

Just goes to show that what seem simple can always bite you in the butt. I am not looking foward to my first oil change on this bike. I still have to figure out the right filter for it yet.

Honda Seat - part 77200-MEG-0000
Bugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is the filter wrench I use. I have yet to find a filter that it will not remove. You can use an extension for hard to reach places. Iíve changed the oil in everything from a D-9 bulldozer (three filters: oil, hydraulic, and fuel) down to a VT1100c with it including oil filters in cars that I was told "thereís no way to get a wrench on it" and Iíve never damaged a filter with it. The only times it didnít work was when someone had already destroyed the filter trying to get it off by other meatheads so I was unable to try. You do need a Ĺ inch drive to use it. You can still get them from Caterpillar, I hear that they are more flimsy these days but that shouldnít be a problem on cars and bikes.
http://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Filter-Strap-Wrench-185-3630/dp/B004TR4B7S"><font size=http://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Filter-Strap-Wrench-185-3630/dp/B004TR4B7S" /> http://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Filter-Strap-Wrench-185-3630/dp/B004TR4B7S">http://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Filter-Strap-Wrench-185-3630/dp/B004TR4B7S
]
That's somebody else's work bench, not mine!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

K&N makes a filter that has a nut on the end so you can take it off w/ a wrench. After pulling every muscle in my neck trying to remove my filter, I've gone w/ them ever since.

K N KN Oil Filter Honda VT 1100 C3 Shadow Aero 1998 2002 KN 303 | eBay

codyclick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Filters should not be tightened so much. The engine actually creates vacuum pressure and holds the filter tighter than you tight it.

Also, are you lubing the gasket on the filter prior to installing? Not doing that could make it very difficult to remove.
azangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to tgelphman

I second what Azangi says. Hand tight only and put a little of the old oil around the seal/gastet attached to the new filter and it should make it easier to come off next time.

05 VLX 600 - first bike.
tgelphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The vlx has a really tight spot for the oil filter, I've yet to find one that both fits and works. I don't use any wrench or even try. I have a screwdriver and rubber mallet. I've never damaged anything using this method.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallasan10 View Post
So when Iím installing the new filter I clean the gasket surface on the motor and oil the gasket on the filter. Then I tighten it by hand just like you are supposed to.
Yes I put oil on the gasket and yes I know it doesn't need to be that tight.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

I NEVER have a problem changing oil & filter on any of my bikes ( 06 Gold Wing & 05 Shadow Sabre)

Last edited by Officer friendly; 01-07-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Officer friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement