Break-in period? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Break-in period?

Sup?

So I have my 2012 Phantom in my garage for the winter, thinking about what I can do to make it last long and live a good life. One important thing slipped my mind: The Break-in phase.

I don't know a thing about bikes, this is my first. When I bought the bike, I rode it a good 40 miles back home, occasionally doing 70mph when I was clear.

Then I was doing some reading and read that rpms(?) are not supposed to exceed 6500 and going over 35mph is a no-no.

So, can someone please explain to me the importance of breaking in, and did I do something horrible? I'm a bit freaked out now thinking I might have just damaged my beautiful bike.

Thanks!
Dan216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to puckothewilde Send a message via Yahoo to puckothewilde

You'll be fine. There are many opinions on the subject. Factory suggestions are probably a bit on the cautious side. Others will tell you "ride it like you stole it." As long as you aren't doing wild burnouts right off you shouldn't have any trouble. I've always just driven my cars and bikes like I would normally and had over 120k on my 2000 Spirit 1100. Hitting a deer kinda killed it. Just enjoy and don't worry.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

IMO, you haven't hurt it. bursts of speed IMO are good for a new engine. If you baby it, you'll kill it with kindness. recommend changing out the engine oil and filter at 60 mi, then again at 600 mi. That's just how I do it, definitely, don't lug it around all day, give that new engine some heat cycles, meaning ride it, let it cool down completely and ride is some more - meaning don't go on the freeway and rack up those miles, that's what you wan't to avoid.

just my .02 cents. this method has served me well through the years.

2009 Suzuki M50

cza888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
"D"

I got my Spirit new and rode it 90 miles home on the interstate at 80 mph. It now has just shy of 8000 miles on it and has had zero problems.

Personally, I would worry more about keeping the oil changed on schedule than about the break in. Just my .02.

'09 Spirit 750
Ride Bell by ELDogStar
"D" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

are not supposed to exceed 6500 and going over 35mph is a no-no.

I can understand the 6500 RPM'S but the 35 MPH is ridiculous. Where did you get that number? Is that in the owners book? If so, for how long does it say to stay under 35 MPH?
I have broke in a few new motorcycles, the RPM's is important to keep under a certain number for a couple hundred miles and increase it slowly,
Also change the oil at 500 miles, just for your piece of mind. Another thing is not to keep it at the same speed for several miles, if your on the freeway vary your speed up and down a few MPH. My last 2 new Gold Wings called for service at 4000 miles. The dealer said to bring it back for the 600miles service. I told him it didn't require one, he was surprised when I showed it to him in the service schedule. Most 600 miles services that the dealer will tell you the bike NEEDS is a $200 oil change, do it yourself, the dealer does NOT have to service your bike to keep your warranty good. Keep your receipts for all service related items you buy, oil, filters etc.
Also check all your fluids, many bikes come from the dealer with low or no fluids in the final drive. Just because you pay a dealer SET-UP fee doesn't mean they SET IT UP properly

IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Last edited by joe in calif; 01-08-2013 at 10:23 AM.
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

The break-in periods are all very cautious and consensus on the net is generally it's actually better to exceed them a little bit. They're low to keep people from riding the red line all day long on a brand new engine. Babying a new engine as much as the suggestions say to often does more harm than good.

So if you weren't kicking the crap out of your bike you're fine.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm really sorry to tell you this but that bike is completely trashed now after what you've done to it. Engine will be cooked by 1000 miles and your bike is now worth about $500, which I'll promptly come and take off your hands

Seriously, don't worry about it and the best thing to do is forget its a new engine and just drive it. I've yet to see engine fail due to incorrect break in..in fact, I've never seen an engine fail due to lack of oil change either. Lots a talk about both topics but a lot of 1980's era Hondas are running yet and I'm sure they all didn't get "to the book" treatment.

But if you're still worried, my offer stands.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
are not supposed to exceed 6500 and going over 35mph is a no-no.

I can understand the 6500 RPM'S but the 35 MPH is ridiculous. Where did you get that number? Is that in the owners book? If so, for how long does it say to stay under 35 MPH?
Through word of mouth. My step-dad bought a Fatboy and a Street Glide and apparently that what the Huuurrrley guys told him. But realistically, how are you supposed to get it home doing only 35?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaGreg View Post
I'm really sorry to tell you this but that bike is completely trashed now after what you've done to it. Engine will be cooked by 1000 miles and your bike is now worth about $500, which I'll promptly come and take off your hands
I think I'll just put some pedals on and ride it as a really cool bicycle.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

We call it running in, the idea is to ride the bike for the first 500 miles or so and not rev the bike up until the engine has warmed up, about five minutes, by then the oil has been splashed all over the inside of the engine and will wash any small grains of metal down into the oil sump, the sump plug is usually magnetic and collects these grains and the first oil and filter change will remove them, if you run the bike too slowly it will start lugging which can do more harm than racing it..listen to the engine..if it sounds like it is struggling to keep going and wants to drop a gear, that is lugging, if it screams and needs to go up a gear, that is what they don't want you to do while you are running in..35 MPH in first gear will hurt the bike, about 5k revs on the freeway in top gear will be nice for the bike.

I nearly forgot to mention, ride carefully for the first 200 miles, take the curves slowly, this is to scrub the surface of the new tires..many people say that this is a myth and you don't need to take it easy because modern tires are made a lot better than they used to be..and they are mostly correct, however I have been riding for a lot of years and I like the odds on my side so I always ride my new tires with extra care for the first 200 miles..

John.

Last edited by John Hopkins; 01-08-2013 at 11:08 PM.
John Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement