How to make your metric sound like a Harley - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Why would you want your metric sound like a Harley? Want the Harley sound buy a Harley..Pay all that big money for a name. or buy a Honda for fraction of the cost and have fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
Why would you want your metric sound like a Harley? Want the Harley sound buy a Harley..Pay all that big money for a name. or buy a Honda for fraction of the cost and have fun.
Exactly the point. Why bother to try to make it sound like that. But, there are guys who do.

Actually the Honda costs more.

HD Iron 883 starts at $7,999 MSRP
Sportster® Iron 883 XL883N | Custom Motorcycle | Harley-Davidson USA

Honda Shadows start with a base MSRP of $8,240.
http://powersports.honda.com/street/...adow-line.aspx

After hole saw and some baffle punching, my Shadow sounds louder on the bike than it does off of it. I had a friend run it up the road and back yesterday and even just a few feet away and as he took off up the road I was surprised at the sound. It was a very mellow sound that I liked, but it wasn't as loud in operation off the bike as it seems on it.

Even on the bike it has a pleasant tone to it though. It's not ear splitting and with additional rumble from the desnorkled air intake it just has a clean, warm, and somewhat throaty sound to it.

I too prefer tone in the pipes instead of just loud. If the pipes are just loud, but don't have that sweetness to them, bleh.

Just as in cars, there are certain ones that just sound sweet. The older Fiat Sport Spyders, Ferrari (such a bell like tone at idle then that near orgasmic ripping through the gears), the BMW six cylinder of the 80s.

EJ, loved the "tater-tot"! I'm still chuckling over that.

I too like that special Harley sound. That it takes a Harley to make that sound is why it is a special sound and nothing else is going to sound just like it. Or should.

The more I'm around people the more I love my dog, and she annoys the hell out of me sometimes.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #23 (permalink)

I put V&H's on my Phantom but not to make it sound like a Harley. It sounds like a Phantom with V&H's. I love it. Not too loud, just nice and meaty. Makes me smile every time I fire it up.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #24 (permalink)

Garage

I took my V&H off - Kids kept asking what type of harley I had

Hypercharger, Stage 2 Dynojet Kit
Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #25 (permalink)

For our part, we like the HD sound. It is the HD performance that leaves us a bit unfulfilled. On the other hand, the Beast sounds like a Farmall B at idle, but goes really well. It is all in what one prefers (and is willing/able to spend one's $$$ on).
We trudge on.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MikeAstringer Send a message via Skype™ to MikeAstringer

I have a question. How do I make my Harley sound like a Harley? My Road King has stock pipes and is considerably more quite that both of my Shadows with V&H pipes and my Sportster w/ aftermarket pipes that I don't remember the brand at the moment. Seriously my bike is so quiet you can hardly hear it at highway speeds. Even at traffic signals you can hardly hear it run. It sounds like *shudder* A HONDA!!

I'm jealous of the other boys and their loud Harleys!
www.facebook.com/mikeastringer

Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjef View Post
I don't want my Shadow to sound like a Harley, and I don't want my Harley sounding like a metric. And for all you smartasses my Harley doesn't break down much. Only one time when a throttle cable broke, at 46,000 miles.

I went to pick up an accessory for my Shadow yesterday here at Fort Worth at a very large Honda and Kawasaki dealer. Next door is a very larger Harley dealer. I dropped by there afterwards since I had honestly never been in a Harley dealer.

What amazed me the most other than the purtty Harley 72?

The bike convention that was going on in front of the service department. The metric dealer next door has maybe 5 bikes outside at one time. Not even joking either, I was blown away at how many bikes were in for service. But, I suppose there are a lot of Harleys poking around too.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #28 (permalink)

Garage

A lot of Harleys are sold with full maintenance plans, including oil changes and x mile checkups. That could account for at least some of the volume.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MikeAstringer Send a message via Skype™ to MikeAstringer

I can only speak for my local Harley dealer. There are a lot of bikes parked outside service anytime you go there. If you walk through and look at them a lot are trade-ins and bikes being prepared for sale. They have a huge sales volume.
www.facebook.com/mikeastringer

Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAstringer View Post
I can only speak for my local Harley dealer. There are a lot of bikes parked outside service anytime you go there. If you walk through and look at them a lot are trade-ins and bikes being prepared for sale. They have a huge sales volume.

I've never sold anything in my life, but even I would take a job as a Harley sales guy. I'm thinking they do a good job of moving themelves.

Pretty slow day at work, so I did this. View of the Honda/Kawasaki and the Harley dealers. Honda is to the south, Harley to the north. Old picture, but the Harley dealer actually has these big canopies that cover a lot of the parking spots now. Used bikes are parked in the front corners of both dealers. Service is in the back right (south east), but there were at least 4 times as many bikes yesterday at Harley when I went by than what this picture has.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread