Shadow down... - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 PM

Man. Tough break. What could you do. You're ok and insurance will pay. Sounds like you made a good call.

CD's pic was of the Progressive insurance chick in reference to your insurance agent.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

2000 Honda Shadow Sabre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUsD View Post
I decided to dump the bike to avoid running into the back of the pop-a-lock SUV in front of me.

Looking back on it I still can't think of a better judgment call. Had I not dump the bike it would have been a sure rear-end collision...
It is deceivingly easy to second guess a mistake after the fact. However, that is how we learn. It is a given that motorcycles handle incredibly better up on their tires than they do when sliding down the road on their side. They turn better and stop quicker on their tires, sliding on their side offers exactly zero control.

Keeping that in mind and assuming some degree of rider skill, if you didn't hit anything by laying your bike down, it is more than likely that you wouldn't have hit anything keeping the bike up on its rubber. Having said that, it is very hard to see into the past or future from my chair here at the moment....but. We do a great disservice to all of the new riders reading these pages when we encourage the belief that crashing a motorcycle to avoid a crash, is the right thing to do.

GoldWing. Nothing else needs be said...
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
It is deceivingly easy to second guess a mistake after the fact. However, that is how we learn. It is a given that motorcycles handle incredibly better up on their tires than they do when sliding down the road on their side. They turn better and stop quicker on their tires, sliding on their side offers exactly zero control.

Keeping that in mind and assuming some degree of rider skill, if you didn't hit anything by laying your bike down, it is more than likely that you wouldn't have hit anything keeping the bike up on its rubber. Having said that, it is very hard to see into the past or future from my chair here at the moment....but. We do a great disservice to all of the new riders reading these pages when we encourage the belief that crashing a motorcycle to avoid a crash, is the right thing to do.
Have to agree here. If you didn't hit anything by laying it down, you wouldn't have hit anything keeping it on the tires. The bike would have stopped much faster with the rubber down, and it would have no damage. It's kind of a live and learn type thing. Laying it down is almost never the correct move.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Just Ride...

2003 Harley Davidson Sportster (RIP)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (traded)
2012 Honda Shadow Phantom (traded)
2014 Victory Cross Country (current)
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspire7 View Post
Careful what you say. There are some heavy hitters on here who will tell you differently. All in the name of safety tho.
Yep. Better to just say "Glad you're all right" and leave it at that.
That's how we all learn and improve.

When all think alike......no one thinks very much.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 PM

Garage
You are alive..if after reviewing things in your mind a couple of times you find that there was something else you could have done..fine..if not, don't get compulsive. I often find that I missed something on the first couple of replays.

Skulz..it ain't just a bike thing to me

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito View Post
Ah, sarcasm. I get it now. Please forgive me, Don Vito
I should have known better...

GoldWing. Nothing else needs be said...

Last edited by gat803; 01-15-2014 at 09:22 PM.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUsD View Post
CD, no following what you're saying.

Ginn, in a nutshell, was heading west bound on E. HWY 50. Was in the left going straight lane and had a SUV leave the lane to my left (to turn left at a light) and nearly side swipe me. It forced me to enter into the right lane and traffic was coming to a screeching halt. I decided to dump the bike to avoid running into the back of the pop-a-lock SUV in front of me.

The only thing that kept me from serious injury was the low speeds (35-40mph) my chaps, jacket and push the bike away after the bike and I went down.

Looking back on it I still can't think of a better judgment call. Had I not dump the bike it would have been a sure rear-end collision, which in FL is automatically my fault, and had I held onto the bike I probably would have either flipped with it or been flung when it flipped.

Take what you will with that.

For reacting to what happened you did the best you could, except for thinking that dumping the bike was better than keeping it upright.

Key is though, thinking ahead several steps might have put you in a position that eliminated any of this from happening. Just give it some thought.....your lane position in relation to the SUV that came into your lane, your awareness of the approaching intersection and stopped traffic, were you riding too close to the cars ahead of you? Did you become distracted?

I don't have the answers to these questions, but you do....and an honest assessment is the surest way to avoid having this happen again. You walked away, bike can get fixed.....take full advantage of the learning opportunity. Think of things that you could have done differently just 300 feet before the SUV swerved and started this chain of events. Good luck getting the bike fixed or replaced, hope that works out for you.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
If touchy feely "Glad you're all right" teaches and improves riding skills, I'd appreciate if you could explain to me how? We don't learn by pats on the head. We learn by looking at an event form all angles. We learn by tearing it apart to see where we screwed up. We learn by looking for a better way.
Geeze.....I thought I was plenty enough sarcastic.

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito View Post
I'm confused. I'm pretty sure I said "all in the name of safety". Meaning that it isn't to ridicule but to better inform.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I prefer peace, wouldn't have to have one worldy possession...
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Having said that, it is very hard to see into the past or future from my chair here at the moment
You nailed it, it is pretty hard to see anything from your chair...anyways...

The bike didn't hit anything because during is tumble it went off the side of the road stopping in the shoulder lane. No matter what you say had I not laid it down I would have hit the pop-a-lock guy, that was a given.

Vito, I was on the left side of the lane. The road I'm on is notorious for its distracted, low caring, college student, and over-all bad drivers. Highway 50 and Sand Lake Road Feature On Central Florida's Most Dangerous Roads List The SUV was in the lane with other traffic waiting for the light, it just got impatient and pulled out in traffic. There was plenty of traffic between me and the cars in front of me. The right lane becomes backed up due to the toll road on-ramp. Had I been distracted, I would have been side-swiped

The point of this post wasn't to see who would do what. But hey, if everyone wants to weigh in and have a pissing contest of what they would do and why they are right, so be it. Hijack away....

Instead, I was more concern with the damage to the head. I'm guessing that you can just add a chunk of metal to the head without it looking like sh!t and if you could weld a piece in and doing everything to make it look pretty and all, its going to cost a good chunk of $. Then again buying a new motor is going to be pretty pricey. Add in all the other repairs that need to be done and its getting close if not past the value of the bike.

What do you think?

2010 Sarbe VT1300

2000 VLX 600 Deluxe
1986 Rebel
Bells By Jbell1033 and HarryC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page