And The Number 1 Selling Motorcycle Brand is... - Page 8 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Van View Post
"America's favorite cruiser comes in at second place with 249,849 bikes sold around the world in 2012. The company still has a sizable foothold in America and has recently seen 39% unit sales growth in Latin America. Look for Harley to continue making up ground south of the border in the near future."

"Honda's motorcycle division sold nearly 15.5 million motorcycles in 2012, of which 13.2 million came from Japan and other Asian countries. In North America the company also dominates, with 153,000 bikes sold, a 43% increase over the previous year. Honda has seen sales boosted by the incredible success of its new NC700X model in North American markets. Look for Big Red to continue its spot as the world's largest motorcycle company for quite some time."

5 of the World's Best-Selling Motorcycle Brands. Do You Know Who's No. 1? - DailyFinance

Just an FYI

Honda Reports Q4 2012-2013 Results - North American Motorcycle Sales Up 25% » Motorcycle.com News

"Honda did especially well in the North American market, reporting sales of 250,000 motorcycles (Honda includes scooters and ATV sales in this figure) compared to 200,000 in the previous fiscal year."

Life is not "either, or" - Life is "both, and"

Riding for the Sun!
hunnus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidchief View Post
Every female I know who has gotten a new motorcycle, often their first, has gotten an H/D. Last time I looked (it's been a while); H/D is the only brand that has a division solely for female riders. It's working.
As others have said, it's interesting to see H/D doing so well with the younger set as well as with minorities. Maybe all the efforts H/D has put into changing their image from the bike of old white tatted up fat dudes is starting to pay off.
Oh it's paying off big time and it's no accident.

Here's an article from back in 2010 about a year after the new CEO took the reigns: Full Throttle

I don't think that Harley is necessary changing their image from "the old white tatted fat dudes" as much they realized they were leaving money on the table.

Quote:

“If you look at North America, we feel there is still an opportunity to grow with our core customers as we think about ways to extend the ride,” he said. “But more importantly, we think there’s growth within the younger markets—with female riders and with African-Americans and Hispanics.”
Much of Harley-Davidson’s marketing efforts are focused on attracting riders age 35 and younger, Wandell said.
Wandell noted the success of the Iron 883, a motorcycle introduced last year that features “gritty, old-school garage features.” More than half of the consumers who purchased the bike, which sold out, were under the age of 35, Wandell said.

Riding for the Sun!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnus2000 View Post
Oh it's paying off big time and it's no accident.

Here's an article from back in 2010 about a year after the new CEO took the reigns: Full Throttle

I don't think that Harley is necessary changing their image from "the old white tatted fat dudes" as much they realized they were leaving money on the table.

Quote:

“If you look at North America, we feel there is still an opportunity to grow with our core customers as we think about ways to extend the ride,” he said. “But more importantly, we think there’s growth within the younger markets—with female riders and with African-Americans and Hispanics.”
Much of Harley-Davidson’s marketing efforts are focused on attracting riders age 35 and younger, Wandell said.
Wandell noted the success of the Iron 883, a motorcycle introduced last year that features “gritty, old-school garage features.” More than half of the consumers who purchased the bike, which sold out, were under the age of 35, Wandell said.
Next time you cut-and-paste at least contribute by changing the font to one that's more readable please.

"Realizing they were leaving money on the table" *IS WHY* they are changing their image from "the old white tatted fat dudes" !

No gold star for you .... lol

2011 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

Last edited by Bobolto; 01-27-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Bobolto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobolto View Post
Next time you cut-and-paste at least contribute by changing the font to one that's more readable please.

"Realizing they were leaving money on the table" *IS WHY* they are changing their image from "the old white tatted fat dudes" !

No gold star for you .... lol
Change the font? Really? That's all you got?

Why don't you contribute to this thread by doing some actual research to support your lame points? I realize you struggle with this but you can always try.

Oh and HD is not changing their image, they're going after new customers. I don't see your beloved Honda doing the same.

Now go get some milk and cookies and go back to watching Sesame Street.

Riding for the Sun!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidchief View Post
I think the whole water-cooled thing is exaggerated. There are old H/D's putting around Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, Santa Fe and all other hot weather cities with no problems. If water cooling was so important, there would be no Laughlin runs. The annual Run-For-the-Wall would use a more northerly route.
I have seen H/D’s on the side of the road over heated, more often than not they are bikes that have either been monkeyed with, or not properly maintained. I’ve also seen water-cooled metrics sitting alongside of the road over heated also.
True water cooled bikes maintain a constant temps w/o sacrificing performance thus allowing them to maintain/monitor emissions better. Just think about the old VW's, rebuild every 35,000-50,000 mi. "but they are so easy to work on" vs Chevy SB 300,000 mi. if you changed the oil etc. True the VW got 35 mpg but the cost of rebuilds/reliability? (OF course gas 25 cents a gallon then. )
The only bike I've seen on the side of the road in 6 yrs. was a HD man with a bad rear wheel bearing and yes I stopped to offered assistance. Reliability really does boil down to proper maintainence but then again there always will be exceptions.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100
99' Valkyrie
Ride Bell by "Yoman"
h13man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #76 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by h13man View Post
True water cooled bikes maintain a constant temps w/o sacrificing performance thus allowing them to maintain/monitor emissions better. Just think about the old VW's, rebuild every 35,000-50,000 mi. "but they are so easy to work on" vs Chevy SB 300,000 mi. if you changed the oil etc. True the VW got 35 mpg but the cost of rebuilds/reliability? (OF course gas 25 cents a gallon then. )
The only bike I've seen on the side of the road in 6 yrs. was a HD man with a bad rear wheel bearing and yes I stopped to offered assistance. Reliability really does boil down to proper maintainence but then again there always will be exceptions.
Another huge advantage of water cooling is constant temps allow for tighter tolerances. That is especially nice for seals and bearings. Not a whole lot of slop in design to make up for constantly varying temperatures
Old 01-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #77 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to gypsy

I just love my Hondas. Yea!!

gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.