it's not a Mustang, not a Corbin... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

it's not a Mustang, not a Corbin...

Like many others, I felt the stock seat on my VT750C2 Spirit was lacking in the comfort department.

OK...it Sucked!!!

If my analysis seems a little extreme, keep this in mind.
I have an autoimmune disorder which means my immune system has kicked into overdrive causing my white blood cells to mistake certain parts of my body as foreign invaders. Unfortunately, my tailbone is one of the targets and is ALWAYS sore. Unfortunately seat time on my bike can be somewhat uncomfortable. Among many other secondary symptoms of the disorder, I have Raynaud's Phenomenon (definition)(pics) which is a vascular irregularity causing poor blood flow in my extremities (mostly my fingers). As a result, I am ALWAYS cold and I constantly CRAVE sunlight. Psoriasis is another secondary symptom which causes a scaly condition to occasionally erupt on my eyelids and ears.
My family has all agreed that I am morphing into a Reptile.

I HATE what all of this has done to me, but that does not mean that I can't have a little fun with it.

Last fall while researching all seat upgrade alternatives, a H.S.net member(H13man) recommended Astech Seats. This past February, I went to the Boat, Sport, Travel and Motorcycle show in Indianapolis and talked to them and was convinced this was the direction I wanted to go. I wasn't going to buy another seat, I was going to upgrade the seat that I already had.

Here are some pics...
BEFORE

SEAT RECONSTRUCTION (Thanks Astech for taking the pics)
I asked them to narrow the seat by an inch or two at the base and to widen the pillion area...

COULDN'T FORGET THE BACKREST! I asked for them to increase the overall height if they could...

THE FINISHED PRODUCT...

The cost was a bit more than a Daytripper but I am very happy with the choice. IMHO the seat looks great and is considerably more comfortable and I LOVE the reptile theme. Making my bike my own!

Thanks Astech! You guys Rock!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 11:27 PM

Congratulations. Your seat looks great. I too did not jump on the mustang bandwagon and had my OEM seat re-done, and couldn't have been happier with the results. Especially since the guy who did it stated he really couldn't help with my Nomad seat instead of just taking my money.
" hate tip to Spencer at greatdaytoride.com"

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 02:38 AM

Out of curiosity, how much did this run you? We are looking at upgrading our stock seat. We're looking at several different options, including having it reworked.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:11 AM

Garage
Thumbs up

Now that's classy looking work.

2003 VT750DC Shadow Spirit
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 09:03 AM

Hey Croc! Spiderman is looking for you... Awesome seat. Any passenger complaints for the seat when your two up?

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdavidson View Post
Congratulations. Your seat looks great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
Now that's classy looking work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManShadow View Post
...Awesome seat.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManShadow View Post
Any passenger complaints for the seat when your two up?
My daughters say that the upgraded seat is much improved but they have only taken short rides. My son rode a much longer ride and he agrees that it is much better but he still walked a little stiff when he got off.

I am not too worried about the passenger portion as most of my riding is solo. If I had wanted them to, Astech could have made it very comfy back there, but, the seat would have a different personality and appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmann2 View Post
Out of curiosity, how much did this run you? We are looking at upgrading our stock seat. We're looking at several different options, including having it reworked.
copied and pasted from Astech Seats web site...

How itís done:
Your seat cover is removed. Astech-gel is inserted in a large pocket we cut into your existing foam. Progressively softer layers of Sunmate memory foam are laminated in layers of 1/2 or 1/4 inch to the height of your stock or aftermarket seat foam. The foam is shaped to its original shape and your cover is replaced. Your seat is cleaned and prepared for return shipping. For most seats, we do both portions of a two up for $269.00 and solo seats for $169.00

Mine was north of the $269.00 price but what I asked for was very custom.
PM sent

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM

Hey you put in a good word for me so I can get my discount? I haven't had a chance to get with them yet but the stock Valk seat is working out so far though a little Astechin' is still needed.

These folk do require you to set up a appointment and everything is done @ this time to be sure all is perfect.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100
99' Valkyrie
Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 06-05-2014 at 11:28 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 12:13 PM

Garage
That's one cool custom seat Stranger. Was the "slightly more than a daytripper" including re-working that back rest?

2015 Honda Goldwing F6B Deluxe
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 12:25 PM

Really Nice!

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleRider View Post
That's one cool custom seat Stranger.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleRider View Post
Was the "slightly more than a daytripper" including re-working that back rest?
yep...price included the backrest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page