Honda Shadow Forums banner

Looking At New Tires.

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  7xclm 
#1 ·
I got my sights set on the Pirelli MT66 The size I'm looking at is Front: 110/90 - 19 H back: 150/90 - 15H

Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks all.

#5 ·
After the installation on my bike it was a totally different bike. Tracked real good thought a turn. Will not follow snakes or edges of black top while riding. Same thing when I get caught in the rain. I also had Dyna-beads installed for balance. Well worth the cost.

#6 · (Edited)
After the installation on my bike it was a totally different bike. Tracked real good thought a turn. Will not follow snakes or edges of black top while riding. Same thing when I get caught in the rain. I also had Dyna-beads installed for balance. Well worth the cost.
O Man, that is what I hate about the tires I have now. They'll catch that grove and pull you into it! That is good info xxxxxxxclm1954. Thank you.

About (Dyna-beads) Sorry, you lost me.

#8 · (Edited)
I had an MT66 on the front of my bike for 6,000mi before it was wore out. Not a tire I would buy again.

I wasnt impressed, When it was new I loved it.... but after the first two thousand miles or so it was a constant performance degrade. The last thousand miles or so it started to give me shakes and squirmy under heavy braking. It even got to the point where it wasnt fun to ride for fun because if I took corners at higher speeds it wanted to squirm. I always checked the pressure and kept it balanced. I wore it down just until it hit the wear bars and took it off.

I replaced it with a Michelin Commander II up front and in the rear and those are by far the best tires I've ran on the shadow. They have about 3000mi on them now and still look new. Not to mention the tread pattern on them looks better than the mt66.

#11 ·
You could go double. I installed the mt 66 front and rear at the beginning of this season. Love them, no longer track the snakes, rides like a dream over grooved highways, corners like a champ. Inflate them to factory specs I was told and that's what I do. Will probably get another set when due.

#13 ·
About two weeks ago, I replaced my OEM Dunlops on the VTX with 11,452 miles on them. The front tire was cupped and shot, the rear was worn down to the wear bars on left side. I replaced both with a set of Avon Venoms. I have about 800 miles on the Avons, and so far so good.

Tread depth itself does not equal long lasting. Wear is a matter of how firm or soft the rubber compound is; riding style is also a contributing factor. Harder rubber wears longer, but gives you less traction, while softer compounds will wear faster, but grip better.

#15 ·
You`re quite welcome...
I posted earlier but it didn`t take for some reason...
Computer Dummy punched the button insreadda pushing it, and after 20 minutes of hunt`n peck, it disappeared???

I had given a run down on tires I have experienced over the last 80,000 miles, since I bought the Bike, with good Bridgestones on it...
10,000 from two sets of Bridgestone G series (each)
14,000 from two sets of Pirelli...(each)
12,500 from Michelins once...
And getting ready for another set of Pireeli after 10,000 it looks like I`ll get from these...

Yes, I`ll replace with Pirelli,
D

Handling, wear and wet weather grip all are good on all these tires until they get down to the wear bars...
Then they follow every crack, tarsnake and crevis in the road...

See for yourself, D

#16 ·
Whats wrong with a good ol D404? When I bought my bike it had 13,000 miles on the original Bridgestone G701/702s (or whatever they are). Seemed to be a pretty decent tire for long life. The front had some life left in it when I changed it but I figured I didn't want to be riding around on an 11 year old tire haha. I went with the Dunlop 404 front and rear because it is what Honda recommends and they were cheaper than the Bridgestones.

#17 ·
Whats wrong with a good ol D404? When I bought my bike it had 13,000 miles on the original Bridgestone G701/702s (or whatever they are). Seemed to be a pretty decent tire for long life. The front had some life left in it when I changed it but I figured I didn't want to be riding around on an 11 year old tire haha. I went with the Dunlop 404 front and rear because it is what Honda recommends and they were cheaper than the Bridgestones.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with a new tire, regardless the brand...

Cheaper tires last like cheaper tires...

#18 ·
Lots of folks seem to dump all over the Dunlops any / every chance they get.

They are not performance tires, so they are probably wearing out quickly for guys who hop on their 750 Honda Shadows and try to ride like Valentino Rossi.

I got about 10K out of the Dunlops that came on the bike when I bought it. Second set are wearing nicely.....I just can't knock them.

#19 · (Edited)
My dunlop 404's rode horrible, a buddy has them on his wifes vtx, just because they were stock tires he replaced them with another set, they ride like crap compared to my same bike with metz880's. My tires have over 12000 on them with more tread left than hers with less than 3000, if you guys have good luck with them I am happy for you.
As for the Pirelli mt66, I have heard a lot of great things, they would have been on mine if they made them I'm my size. Go for it!

#20 ·
I love my Pirelli MT66's. Incredible tire and the best bang for the buck out of any tire out there! To some others, yeah I know... I know... They are cheap priced and raise an eye brow. But somehow someway, Pirelli did it right and created a motorcycle tire that lasts a long time for a cheap price! :D

Don't get me started on the D404 tire. Worst tire I have ever had the displeasure of riding on! :evil:

#21 ·
I just got my new tires, and have an appointment for Saturday morning to have them mounted.

Do you think it was time to get new ones or what? Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Tread Auto part
Synthetic rubber Tire Tread Automotive tire Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Tread

In the last two pics, you can see the old vs the new treads.... I guess I got my money's worth outta the old ones.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.