Honda Shadow Forums banner

Rough Ride yesterday

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Eagle7840 
#1 ·
I took the bike over to fill up with gas yesterday before the wife and I were planning to head out on an evening ride. On the way back from the gas station, not far from home, a cat come out onto the street and starting running to try and cross in front of me. I had no time to react and just held on not knowing what to expect. (I have only be riding for a few months). I think the front wheel made it past the cat but the cat either ran into the bike or was hit by the back tire. I was amazed I had not gone down and as I have heard nightmare stories about bikes and animals. Anyway, I pulled over once I gathered myself... I went back and the owner was out picking up the cat from the road. I felt awful and apologized several times. The owner and his wife were very understanding as they saw what happened but I still feel terrible. Makes it hard to get back on the bike after doing something like this and I wish I could have done something to avoid this.

Anyone have any experience on how one should react to avoid hitting animals that run out in front of you. I panicked.. held on expecting that I was going down.

Thanks,
RDG

#2 ·
not being in the situation I don't know exact details but I prob would of lightly gotten on the brakes and tried to slow but animals are so unpredictable its hard to know what to do, especially with dogs in their own yard for some reason some of the act like motorcycle are the devil lol

#4 · (Edited)
My advice is if you think you have no time to brake or swerve, and it is a small animal, just hold on and go straight..over it if need be. That is far less likely to result in personal injury or property damage than a risky avoidance maneuver. Anything like a Deer is another story and avoidance is key, because if you hit it (on a motorcycle) it's not likely to end well...see the above post. Tough call ... but my opinion is the OP acted correctly given his description of the event and having no time to react with a small animal involved being the key facts. It's not a pleasant situation killing someone's pet, but the alternatives are potentially much more dire. Folks who let pets run loose have to assume some responsibility also...IMHO.

#5 ·
My advice is if you think you have no time to brake or swerve, and it is a small animal, just hold on and go straight..over it if need be. That is far less likely to result in personal injury or property damage than a risky avoidance maneuver. Anything like a Deer is another story and avoidance is key, because if you hit it (on a motorcycle) it's not likely to end well...see the above post. Tough call ... but my opinion is the OP acted correctly given his description of the event and having no time to react with a small animal involved being the key facts. It's not a pleasant situation killing someone's pet, but the alternatives are potentially much more dire. Folks who let pets run loose have to assume some responsibility also...IMHO.
I'm going to agree with this, especially the last bit.

There are reasons that outdoor cats have a life expectancy 7 years lower than that of house cats. OP, you did the right thing, the right way. Don't let a cat who did the wrong thing mess up your riding life. Sad, yes. But not your fault.

#7 ·
You handled this correctly. Your safety comes first. I'm glad you're conscientious enough to be concerned about the cat and the owners, but you were in the right. People who allow their pets to run free open themselves and their pets to the dangers of the world. If this is the worst thing that happens to you, you'll be a very lucky person. Put it behind you and get back on the motorcycle.
Take care.

#8 ·
I agree with HarryC.
The cat got in your way and it's not a bad thing that you feel bad, but if you were in a car, probably would be picking the cat up with a shovel...Any case, I think your call was a good one and you shouldn't feel like you can't get back on.
Keep your head up homie!

#13 ·
LMAO!!! This is priceless. But in all sincerity to the OP, It was a class act for you to stop and go back. You can't control the cat, but you have some level of control of your life which should be more important to you. I'm with everyone else here (not that my opinion matters, but I'm in your corner) get back on and enjoy. Ride Safe.

#10 ·
This year I have hit 2 squirrels. Both would stop and then go in another direction. You think you will miss them then at the last second they ran right under my bike.
They did not go to waste.

Good thing I like fried squirrel with mashed potatoes and gravy.

#12 ·
One squirrel, one bird... The bird flew right under my front wheel.. Squirrels try to end their sad little lives using my bike every time I head out, so no surprise there... The bird, that was different..

I love cats, except that one crazy Manx I had, which (conveniently for this thread), ran right under a truck as it was bolting out of the house, and was summarily squished... Sad though that was. Even though I hated that one particular cat.. It wasn't the *******'s fault my cat ran under his HUGE Truck's wheels..

Would have been nice if he did more than slow down for a second before racing off down the road Tho'! ..:neutral:

So.. As I see it... Stopping and saying you're sorry (under the circumstances), makes you not so much the bad guy here.. More the good guy who acted with conscience and regret due to a situation caused by no fault of your own..

These kinds of things are gonna happen.. Don't get used to it, just try your best to accept it..

This post is dedicated to Cola ..All claws, evil cunning, insidious conniving and always sporting a bad attitude.. What an ass(o) of a cat... May he rest in pieces..

#15 ·
Thanks for the comments ! .. I am feeling better after reading what everyone has to say and understanding I am lucky it was just a cat I hit. (Thanks for the jokes also .. Haven’t tried the fried squirrel yet but we have lots of those up here so I may get my chance. )
Lousy weather here in Ontario for the next couple of days but I will get back out on on the weekend and see how things go.
RDG

#17 ·
I carry large zip-loc bags with me specifically for road kill. If it's fresh, in the bag it goes....dinner for hawk :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.