Honda Shadow Forums banner

Thought I've seen it all...

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  MikeAstringer 
#1 ·
I write the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth on this entry, so help me God.
While at 'Action Motor Sports' on Whiteford Road, in York, PA today while they perform their ritual mandatory PA State Inspection on my Shadow. A large new black Yamaha ridden by a matching rider rode up to the door and parked. I see a discussed look on the young man behind the counter as he rolls his eyes and bows his head... I watch and try to understand this rider explain in a language difficult to understand as he states that he hates to keep stopping by for necessary adjustments to his new ride. The employee walks out to his shiny new bike and I watch as he loosens the nut on the left mirror and adjusts it while the rider sits and comments on how good this dealer is each time he stops in many times a week. The rider wearing his colors along with a bandana with weird symbols around his head, chains hanging from his waist and more bandanas through his belt loops rode off in the noon day's sun. The employee looked at me as I stated: "Did I just witness a mirror adjustment?" The young man shook his head and said, yes and I don't want to talk about all the other things he stops in here for.
Question, has anyone ever seen anything dumber than what I witnessed today?

#4 ·
Get it almost every day where I work. Customer comes up to the counter looking for ammo for his firearm. Employee asks customer what caliber? Customer replies I don't know I just bought the gun. Employee asks the customer what is the manufacturer and model #. Customer replies I don't know. Employee response: do you have the firearm with you, customer's reply no I don't. End of conversation and sale. Another good one is I'm buying this for my buddy who lives out of state and doesn't want to pay the shipping charges. Then tries to charge it on the so called buddy's charge card but only has the credit card # written down on a piece of paper. Sale stops right then and there.

#6 ·
Packy, not to hijack your thread, but I found it kinda cool, you and I live basically in the same town. it is rare to come across someone so close on a forum. I worked 13 years at the Toyota dealer right behind Action, and now work for the company that owns the Ford dealer down the street. I wasn't sure where your post was going after the first sentence, as I know people who love, and people who don't think so highly of Action. Personally, any interaction I have had has been really good, but you never know. Being in the auto parts business, you would be amazed at the customers you see. After 25+ years I could right a couple novels.

#7 · (Edited)
"Did I just witness a mirror adjustment?" ... Question, has anyone ever seen anything dumber than what I witnessed today?
Anyone who has been in the service business could tell many similar stories. There are literally millions of customers out there with zero technical/mechanical ability...even for a simple mirror adjustment. It's just how it is. I could speculate on the percentages of zero tech/mech customers by manufacturer of Motorcycle, but I won't go there. LOL

#8 ·
Best phone call ever. During the 70's and 80's I worked as a counter man for a independent parts supplier.

Now being retail worked 6 days a week 50 weeks a year.

When working Thanksgiving morning, closing at noon.

Answered the phone about 11:00, man wanted to know what time we closed. I informed him it would be noon.

He said he was just sitting down for Thanksgiving and wanted to know if we would stay open until he finished his dinner. I said sorry, he became irate and called me every name under the sun and then more.

#9 ·
Just imagine what it's like at a Harley dealership when all those mechanically-innocent stockbrokers, lawyers and dermatologists come in for advice, service or adjustments to their bikes. Those techs must have some wonderful stories.

#10 ·
Like other have said, some people are just plain clueless when it comes to things mechanical. Doesn't mean dumb, just not able to do some tasks that others find simple.
As far as the dealer goes, those little adjustments here and there for a customer go a long way. When this guy goes to by his next bike where do you think he is going to go first? He will go right back to the dealer that provided outstanding customer service.

I work as a service manager at a large yacht dealership and I can tell you there are plenty of people that can make millions and millions of dollars but can't figure out how to use a screw driver or reset a tripped circuit breaker. It is these people that keep me and my crew employed. I for one and glad they are out there spending there money on high priced toys. It is frustrating at times when these people call for service and I send a tech out for some of these small issues but it reassures the customer that we are here for them and they will come back and continue to do business with us.
This is what make the world go round.

#11 ·
I have been a Technician, Parts Pro, Manger, & Costumer. I have seen it from all angles. I don't mind to pay a little more for good costumer service but since I can't find it around here I'll just mail order my parts & save money. As a manger of a Advance Auto Parts I told my employees what they was allowed to say yes to but they could never tell them no. I would listen to them & work that out myself. Most costumers don't ask anything unreasonable. My Distract Manger asked me one time why I returned Auto Zones parts. I said "why would I tell a costumer that is already in my store that I couldn't help them & they needed to go to my competor down the road?" If I sold the same thing I just put it in my shelf & if I didn't I though it in the trash. I went & fixed several bad stores that really want bad they just needed a different prospective. I never missed one of my sales bonus so I got all the leeway I wanted from my bosses. Treat your costumers & Most of them will bring there dollar to you. There is always so tho no matter what you do.

#13 ·
Well said. I will try to help answer my customers questions and even direct them to another retailer or the manufacturer after researching on the internet for them. But will always ask them to let me take care of others waiting in line who want to make a purchase or get an order entered. 9 out of 10 will oblige and step to the side. Heck I've even had customers who were waiting in line answer the other's question and sharing even more information. I can sit back and listen and learn from the vets to share at a later time. In the end everyone is a winner and new friends made. :wink:

#14 ·
I guess there is a lot for me and everyone else to see and learn from all the entries to this post. One thing I have learned over a decent span of time is that most people that are very good in their profession, specialize in one thing and that one thing is usually all they are very good at. When it comes to being 'ordinary', then the person is commonly fair to good at many things and common sense is a big win.
In reply to Bubba J, it is good to learn that other members of this forum are not so far away... and I believe there just might be a few other members that are 'local' and many more that are lurkers - all of whom are welcome. And as far as York, PA goes - it has been good to me and a nice place to live for a long time. This weekend has been spectacular with 'Bike Night', the HD plant events along with the HD dealer attracting an enormous amount of MC business and traffic. Tomorrow it continues with the Jefferson Hill Climb. Business is booming, the hotels, motels are full to the brim and restaurants packed, along with the 'Night Life' doing exceptionally well. But the best thing is that there has been no report of 'trouble' or rowdiness from anyone - giving the biker community a wonderful display to our community and general public.
In all, may we all continue in the right direction as true Americans and the brotherhood of motorcycling!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.