Honda Shadow Forums banner

Walk of Shame....*a must read*

6K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  swifty2014 
#1 ·
So i figured id like to share my bonehead move of the day...and like to see what other people have ran into, done silly, forgot...or just plain and simple had a dumb moment.

So 2 days ago riding my bike to work, bike starts surging pulled over (on an on ramp/ had no were else to go)....shook it from side to side, kept cranking it finally it turned on.....got to work on time. on the way home it had a little sputter again, i had just replaced the gaskets and i thought it was a compression/seal problem...pulled over gave a few revs and it was fine ...took off and made it home. Well the very next day (here in Long island) it was sunny about 80 degrees i couldn't resist...rode it again....DUN DUN DUN...guess what happen again?...except this time it wasn't an easy fix. Bike completely shut down, lost all power etc....had to immediately pull over, or i was a coasting sitting duck on the highway. looking over everything over (or so i thought), meanwhile traffic in the morning is flying past, im stuck on the shoulder...the ultimate embarrassing moment...except the only problem was i forgot to do something, which is as simple as putting on your draws in the morning

Who can guess what the problem was? i sure hope im not the only moron who has done this, ever....also id like to hear others embarrassing bike moments, it should be a good laugh. :grin2:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Sounds like you were running out of fuel. Switch to reserve.��

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Ding! First to comment you are correct....i forgot to fill the dang thing up. (face palm), i had already used up the reserve. I had to call roadside assist.....thank god i wasnt around back then otherwise i would have been pushing for about a few miles. i couldn't believe it...i open my tank after shaking it side to side and not hearing anything...darn thing was clean as a whistle. the misery that ran though my head...i was so excited that it was a stupid mistake, instead of just thinking of the obvious, and going through simple steps.

ultimate newbie move....lots of bikers past and were probably like yup....hes new ran out of gas. SMH, so embarrassing :crying:

#4 ·
my embarrasing moment. im patched in an M/C too, so 2x more embarrassing. I go to a local event hosted by another club in town. a few hours pass had a good time, and now its time to leave. i get on my ride, hit button...Nothin! try 3 more times....nothin! curse at it & look at everything over in a panic. by now, other members are noticing im having a hard time so they start walking toward me to "help" a brother out. In witnessing this I do a lightspeed check of everything again cuz Im not up for the impending and unending ribbing this is gonna get me if I done something stupid. At this moment my brother to my left noticed the problem and in attempt to save me, places one hand on my cutoff switch clicking it to on position , bends over and reaches under engine pretending he's doing something and says loud enough for everyone to hear " dude, I told you to check that stand switch 2 weeks ago. I bet its shot now". (FACEPALM!) He proceeds to smile at me and we leave, pride unscathed. never again, have i forgotten that lesson, LOL!

#7 ·
Yup, I rode to a meeting in town on RES and forgot I was on RES...
Had to call the wife to bring a can of gas...
AFTER I borrows a cell phone from a passing motorist...

But>>>
Here it comes>>>

Ready?

I had my headlight out of the headlight bucket soas, I wouldn`t run down the battery so much, as I diagnosed and repaired a faulty brake light wiring issue...
When I finished up, I Jumped on the Bike to go into town for something, and did whatever it was I went to do...
Then on my way outta the driveway, Squeezed the front brake in a mess of leaves, went down, picked up my Bike...Then when I looked to check for any damage...
Remember that headlight I had removed earlier?
It was still where I had laid it that morning...
We all do some bonehead moves...

#24 ·
Yup, I rode to a meeting in town on RES and forgot I was on RES...
Had to call the wife to bring a can of gas...
AFTER I borrows a cell phone from a passing motorist...

But>>>
Here it comes>>>

Ready?

I had my headlight out of the headlight bucket soas, I wouldn`t run down the battery so much, as I diagnosed and repaired a faulty brake light wiring issue...
When I finished up, I Jumped on the Bike to go into town for something, and did whatever it was I went to do...
Then on my way outta the driveway, Squeezed the front brake in a mess of leaves, went down, picked up my Bike...Then when I looked to check for any damage...
Remember that headlight I had removed earlier?
It was still where I had laid it that morning...
We all do some bonehead moves...

I thought when you drive on reserve it just pulls from the regular tank no? lol thats something i would do fro sure....and man that fall sounds nasty. hope all is well

#10 ·
Brand new bike , rode over to my brothers to show it off. He is a Harley guy so I had to hear all the crap. I get ready to leave and nothing, won't crank. My brother starts giving me hell. Look everything over and then notice I had put my helmet on right side mirror and it had turned off the kill switch.

#11 ·
I pulled a bonehead mistake this Spring after getting the Shadow out of the shed after its Winter storage and installing my Cobra light bar and Kury wiring harness and relay. Bike ran fine in the shed after the installs so after maneuvering the bike out of the shed, driving the bike thru the backyard to the driveway the engine died and we coasted into the driveway and I put the kickstand down. Tried starting it up and nothing but I have lights. Figuring I messed up somewhere in the wiring I removed the passenger seat, driver's seat and side covers to checkout the connections. Everything is good so I decided I needed to pull the tank to get to the wiring junction box under the tank. Then it dawned on me......did I leave the bike in gear? Sure enough it was in 1st gear and the kickstand safety switch was doing its job. Smack on the forehead and a sigh of relief when it started after correcting my mistake. :laugh:

#15 ·
Never. Ever. Not even once.

In all my 110 years of riding motorcycles have I had a 'shame' moment.

except just this once...

...when I forgot to put clothes on!

#17 ·
Murphy's Motorcycle Laws: 1. A motorcycle cannot/will not fall over without an audience.
Murphy's Motorcycle Laws: 2. The fact that your keys are still in your pants pocket will become apparent after you put your gloves on.
Dirt bikes are not for wimps. They are, however, quite suitable for the clinically insane.

#18 ·
Murphy's Motorcycle Laws 3: You will have to shut off the bike after warm up because you forgot to unlock the forks.

#19 ·
I can honestly say I've never run out of gas on a motorcycle. (There, I have now jinxed myself...count on it.) But many years ago on a run to the distributor for beer I ran out of gas about three seconds after getting on the highway, making it to the exit ramp and no more. My buddy and I got out to walk to the gas station and the boiling gray clouds unleashed buckets of water on us as we walked a mile and a half to the gas station. Halfway there a carload of tourists stop, roll down the window in the pouring rain and ask to half-drowned freaks for directions! They didn't offer a ride. We got our gas and walked back to the car to finish our beer mission.

That would be enough of a walk of shame, but I filled the tank of that car and one week later at midnight on a date with the woman who eventually married me, I ran that tank dry again. In a not great section of town. Her parents had to bring us a gallon.

#21 · (Edited)
you probably still felt great that's all it was after seeing dollar signs and major inconvenience in your immediate future....:laugh:

my year aero doesn't have a reserve valve it has a light on the triple tree that tell you that you hit reserve. so far so good although one time i had to get gas at a Marina due to almost running out.

#22 ·
While riding rural GA roads last week, with xclm, I considered a fish camp for gas...
Then realized we have enough...I hope!
We did :D:D

#31 ·
This isn't my moment, but it goes to show Stranger & the others that his Oh Crap moment happens a lot. We did a poker run this weekend, and one of the riders did the same thing at a stop...left the lights on. Here's a pic of me giving him a push start.

As for dumb moves personally, the first the comes to mind was about a month ago. The day I was going to trade my Phantom for the new bike, the forecast was calling for rain. Rather than the half helmet, I opted for the full face. The Honda dealer I chose is about 52 miles from my house...about 30 of which are on a 4 lane rode where I was cruising about 72mph. I pull into the Honda dealer, and notice that sitting on top of my sissy bar is my half helmet...just hanging out. :surprise: How it managed to stay put for the whole trip, I'll never know. That was my last ride on the Phantom. Not sure if it was a sign or not.

Attachments

#32 ·
I am new to riding again and have a larger bike than I used to have years ago, so I was practicing for the MSF tests. I just can't do right hand U turns. It must be a mental block. So here I am on a quiet street trying out the right turns. It is a little down hill to my right and I get a panic moment and hit the brakes and it stops and falls over on the right side. I look around and hope nobody sees me. GOOD. Then as I start to pick up the bike a little lady comes down the street in her car and stops for me. I pick it up and walk it over to the side of the road. I think I had my full face helmet on that day to hide my glowing RED face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.