Honda Shadow Forums banner

DEER. Wow. I see a couple every time I'm out

4K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 ·
I'm shocked at the number of deer I'm seeing this spring/summer so far. I live in Northern NJ and I can't remember seeing this many deer - ever.

I would have suspected that the winter we had would have really thinned out the herd in this area. I live in a fairly dense suburban area so maybe I'm seeing so many because they moved in from the more open areas for easy food sources (suburban shrubs) during the winter. Anyone else in the NE suburbs seeing a ton of deer? Makes me rethink some of my routes for evening rides. Hope I see this many in the fall >:)

#3 ·
Haven't seen any in the Seattle area yet, but it is a good reminder to be aware, because they do live around here also. Sometimes dead on the highway from a semi-truck.

#5 ·
Hope your deer are not like the deer here in central Alabama. I see them quite often on my way home at night, they all all evil, suicidal and psychotic. They all apparently all want to die and take you with them.

#6 ·
There's always a lot of deer around here, but this year it seems like there are a lot more than usual. Like you, I would have thought the harsh winter would have thinned out the herd some but that doesn't seem to be the case at all in my area.

#9 ·
I fear deer the most while out on the road. I live in Virginia and night-time and evenings is not the only time to be watching for deer. I hit one in the afternoon last month that came out of nowhere. Luckily, my 800lb Vulcan's crash bar took the most of the brunt of the hit, and I didn't go down. I'm very lucky. Keep an eye out for forest rats!

#11 ·
I been riding worrying about deer and we have had 2 bear killed by cars in the pass month. Now I have to worry about the bears. And I thought the possums, racoons, and skunks were bad enough along with the dear. Maybe we should a snowplow bland on the front of the bikes...:laugh:

#16 ·
Remember the old "Cow Catchers" on the steam locomotives ??? Nah, never would work on a bike. LOL

#17 ·
We must think alike. I have thought the same thing. Two chrome rails to take the deer over your head.:smile2:

Actually if I hit a deer I hope I'm on my Wing. That fairing is almost like a cow catcher. I have been surprised at how many guys on the GW forum have stayed up and walked away from deer strikes. Not all, but more than a few.

Hitting a deer with no protection for the handle bars seems like a good way to go down.

In the end you just don't know how each one will come out.

#20 ·
Your in a good spot for riding.

Found this:
Drivers in West Virginia were most likely to hit a deer with a 1 in 38 chance. The lowest odds of hitting a deer in the continental states — 1 in 1,270 — went to Arizona drivers. Hawaii drivers have the lowest probability of hitting a deer with a 1 in 6,787 chance.

#22 ·
again, i'll mention that i HIT a deer in the middle of the day! so please keep your eyes open! i see deer here in VA every single time i ride. we can't kill enough of them in WV and VA. it destroyed the deer when i hit it. the people behind me said they couldn't believe i didn't crash and burn. the deer was destroyed with broken legs and whatnot. keep safe out there!!

#24 ·
The night before last 4 total in a 5 mi. stretch and braking for them both encounters. They were bean in fields and I can't wait for them start popping out of the corn fields now that its 5 ft. tall. My "DeerDar" is up and running @ all times here.

#26 ·
We have them in our back yard every day, and our next door neighbors went so far as to put a fence around their property because a small herd of 8-10 animals was rather boldly bedding down under a tree all day and had killed a large patch of grass. As a patriotic (and lazy) Californian I have allowed my lawn to go to drought-induced rack and ruin and we have completely given up on flowers so the resident deer are only a minor annoyance for us. Strange to say, however, but for all the deer hanging around I rarely see them on the road, and then only as road kill.

And up in the national forest where they should be thick as thieves I don't know that I've ever seen one on the hoof. Maybe the cougars are taking care of business up there. You NEVER see the big cats.

And that's the bad part. :surprise:

#27 ·
Bumping this old thread with some new information. I heard about this scientific study on the news radio station in my car, and now I found a link to it to share with y'all.

Summary:

New research, published this week in the journal CURRENT BIOLOGY the November switch from daylight saving time to standard time corresponds with a 16 percent increase in deer-vehicle crashes in the week after the clocks change.
Scientists estimate that maintaining daylight saving time year-round would prevent 33 human deaths, 2,054 human injuries, while also saving $1.19 billion in collision costs per year.

#28 ·
P.S. I Live near a lake which is surrounded by federally protected corps of engineers property. The feds do not allow any hunting and the deer population up here is huge.
The deer are beautiful, but dumb as rocks and will walk out in front of your vehicle for no reason. I even had one running on the shoulder of the road next to me and after about two seconds of keeping pace with me at 30 miles an hour the buck deer made a sudden left and bounced off my rear fender of my Ford Explorer.

#32 ·
Daylight savings time is just plain ridiculous! The daylight amount does not change one bit. Every work day I drive to work in the dark, dodge deer all year, and when we get close to the winter solstice it will be dark both ways. In fact today it will be dark about the time I pull up the driveway.

With all the discussions I have had about DST I finally came up with a plan,,,Everyone works a fourteen hour shift, starting in the late afternoon and work till early morning. Ya get to drive to/from work in the light and ya will have plenty of daylight when you get home to do what you want.

In all seriousness I hate DST, and more specifically changing time twice a year. I am glad they are working on getting rid of it at the federal level or at least let the states choose. Alabama has already voted to stop changing but they want to keep DST hours and not change back to standard time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: "Captain D"
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.