Honda Shadow Forums banner

How much money...

4K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Philphine 
#1 ·
...would you give to trade if you were looking at a HD.

I looked at a 2009 HD Lowrider at a dealership. Sat on it, and it fit me perfectly. Comfortable pegs position and handlebar reach, feet flat on the floor. 12k miles. But I didn't ride it, and of course wouldn't buy a new bike without riding it. I hear the 103 Harley engine vibrates a lot, and I don't think I'd like that after riding my 09 Spirit for a year.

I'm riding a 2009 750 Spirit with 14k miles, cosmetically good, runs like a new bike.

As a side note, it's interesting to me that dealerships don't spotlessly clean up their used bikes. Is that to hide cosmetic issues?

Anyhow, what's your best guess as to a fair trade price?

#3 ·
Hey Nor,

First and foremost, how does it fit YOU. You've answered that one already, so on to a more thorough consideration.

Ride it, of course. I've been doing some checking around at some local H-Ds, and I've gotta say, there are a few that I really liked the looks of, but when I sat on 'em, I didn't feel enough of a tug at the heart strings to go any further. Didn't even ride 'em.

Now, my bike is paid for (older, but paid for) and if I were to take on a (new, different, larger?) payment, it would have to bring more than just a couple thousand less on the odometer.

I LIKE my Hondas, so having a different named bike (albeit, one that a LOT of folks seem to adore) just isn't enough for me.

As far as cleaning them, when my brother bought his H-D, he worked out a deal with the dealership to detail his bike. They scheduled the time and when he got it back it was CLEAN! Spent the better part of a day on it, and it showed. Many times, the used bikes get pushed outside and down here, it rains a-lot. They'd constantly be cleaning bikes if they tried to keep em all spotless. Just a thought.

#5 ·
Well that depends...are they throwing in a drip pan?

I grew up in a Honda family and I know a ton of Harley riders. Now let me tell you who spends more time riding and who spends more time wrenching.

Harleys are over priced and over rated. You're forking over cash for a name, not a product. That adoration is a cult mentality.

Don't be a sheep.

#8 ·
Your a lemming for believing the Harley bashing tripe
I own a 99 VT100C3 Aero and a 96 Harley FLSTF Fatboy. I will tell you that hands down the Harley is a far better bike then the Honda. It rides better, handles better, has way more power, gets better gas milage( 150mi per tank vs 120mi on the Honda and they have exactly the same capacity) and I love the self canceling turn signals on the Harley. How come my newer Honda does not have self canceling signals? There are way more aftermarket parts available for the Harley. Need I go on?
My Honda has left me on the side of the road twice, leaks oil (guide pin) and coolent (cross over tube). I've had zero issues from the Harley. Did I mention that the Harleys resale is 3 times what my Honda is, as a matter of fact I can't get any bites on the Honda so I just let my girlfriend ride till she gets comfortable riding then we will trade it on a Harley.
Stick that in your pipe and smoke it....

#6 ·
I like Gan Eagla know a lot of Harley riders. If I were to trade my 1100 ACE it would not be for a Harley. I understand they are much better that they were in the past but not enough better for me to own one. But as a buddy of mine says the best way to get over being bitten by the Harley bug is to buy one.

#9 · (Edited)
RIDE IT.

my bike is also a dyna with the 103 in it, you say it vibrates a lot... IT DOESNT. You'll find that out once you drive it. Yes at idle it may seem like its got a vibration that will only get worse with RPM, get it on the road and it will smooth right out. My street bob is sooooo much smoother than the shadow in every way, never gets that buzzy feeling at highway speeds either.

#10 ·
Check c l, kbb etc to find a good average of value for the bike you want and prices vary in different parts of the country. It really comes down to what YOU want and want to pay. Just shop around, don't jump on the 1st good deal you run across (there is a lot of truth to the old saying, if it's too good to be true it probably is), take your time. HD has some really cool bikes that I would love to own (street glide) but I just can't afford it at this time, maybe one day.

#11 ·
Thanks for the replys. And I would never buy a bike based on name, Harley or any other. I spend too much time riding to risk buying a bike that's not fun and comfortable to ride. With the high re-sale value of HD, I expect a trade within 5k would be hard to get for 2009 Honda to 2009 HD.

My wife can spend hours shopping in a department store. I hate shopping, I just go in, get what I need and get home. However, sometimes motorcycle dealerships are hard to just drive by.

#13 ·
My bike and cash for comparable year Harley? LOL, never in a million years. Don't care that they've improved, they sealed their fate with me in the 70's and 80's. It is entirely possible to learn from other peoples mistakes, and that is my preference in life, so sell that hog to the next bozo please. Besides, I don't even have a tattoo so I'm "disqualified".

#17 ·
I seriously considered a Harley Street Glide when I went shopping for my Vic' ..The newer HDs are excellent. The only reason I didn't get one was the suspension travel in the rear.. I needed more of it.. Inherrent engine vibration seems to only be an issue at idle, but they are buttery smooth at cruising speeds.. The oil leaking thing.. Well... Get you a service manual and keep on top of maintenace.. Don't guesstimate anything.. Bolts tightened over gaskets at uneven torque specs, or which vibrate loose, will cause leaks.. Take care of your bike, properly, it ain't gonna leak or give you any headaches..

Like has been said already.. Lots of different ways to determine value of trade, or sale.. For trade value I go around multiple dealerships and just ask, then take an average.. For sale? CL, or local prices at dealerships and average out.. Many prices advertised in national resources tend to be less market specific.. Everything is local when it comes to sales and trades.. Gotta do some legwork to find those numbers-then.

Best of luck!

#21 ·
I raced an '07 110ci Screaming Eagle and a '13 103 Ultra the other day and had no problem keeping up with or passing the 30 and 23 ci larger motors. Last night i got to race my friends 2015 WRX (stock) and caught up and stayed with him up to about 105 when his exit came up and i passed him.

But to answer the OP, hell no would i ever trade.

#24 ·
don't think i want to get into the arguement side of this thread, but if you like your hondas and just want something more, try a vtx. i'm finding that being through about half of my first season with the harley, i just can't rank it above my honda.

but beyond throwing the idea out there, i'm done. give one a try for yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.