Honda Shadow Forums banner

2006 VLX 600 standard

657 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pathfinder360 
#1 ·
I Live on the big island of Hawaii about 12 miles from Hilo. I'm an older ride at just about 62 now, and have owned and ridden maybe 25 motorcycles since I started riding when I was 8. I'm in the market, and a 2006 VLX 600 came up for sale not far away. It appears to be an orange one in good condiotion with about 4500 miles on it.

From what I know about these, it's a 4 speed with a single carburetor, which, to me is a good thing. I can work on and fix carb problems. Nearest dealer is like 125 miles away in Kona. I don't really want to have to mess with synchronizing multiple carbs.

I've owned bikes from 90cc to 1000cc, and I still enjoy riding them no matter what the size. I'm about 5' 9" or 5' 10" and 200 pounds. Don't think we will do any two up riding, as my wife has a SYM HD200 scooter, and it will go anywhere. Also, we have no freeways here, and the main highways are 45-55 maximum, so a VLX would do fine here. I think I would like this bike just fine for what I need to do. The only time it might have a hard time is riding over Saddle Road from Hilo to the Kona side due to some high elevation of 6632 feet. I've done that high at Sunrise on Mount Rainier two up on a 1980 Suzuki GS450ST, so a 600 should do it solo riding. And, there are other, more scenic foutes that are at normal elevations anyway.

I even prefer a chian drive, as here, the Japamese shaft driven bikes, due to the climate, sometimes need costly driveline work. I'm right at home with chains and sprockets. I do my own tire replacements too.

Any weaknesses I should look out for on this bike? I wouldn't think adjusting valves would be too tough on this v-twin either.

Anyway, thanks for any comments that might inform me before I go look at this bike.

Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

See less See more
#2 ·
The bike seems to be a perfect fit for you, your needs, and your driving parameters. Hondas are fairly bulletproof.

I say check it out and go for it. Sounds like you could handle any of the basic work that might be needed....carb / chain / change oil. Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.

#3 ·
2002 VT600CD 18000 + miles. I ride the mountains of east TN, VA. and NC all the time. NO PROBLEMS. I've had this bike 7 years now. I'm 5'7" and go about 165 lbs. Vito is right Honda's are practically bullet proof. I have found mine to be a very reliable bike. I would not hesitate to get another. As with any motor vehicle proper maintenance is everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.