Honda Shadow Forums banner

1100 vs 1300 vs 1800

10K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Scuba77 
#1 ·
Since fall is just around the corner, there will likely start to be some better bike deals to be had. I really like my 05 Spirit 1100, and find the size and power acceptable for my use. Most of my riding is 4 hours and under, alot of 50mph (40-60) mountain roads and rural commute.

So the couple of complaints I would have are 1) low end torque and powerband are not as tolerant at running lower RPM range as I'd like and 2) bike seems a bit top heavy and low speed handling could be better.

These are minor things that if could be improved IMO, I may consider the 1300 VTX or possibly even the 1800 if a great deal comes along.

Question, what advantages does the 1300 or even the 1800 bring over the 1100 from those that have ridden both? Does fuel injection make much difference in rideability and power band tolerance at low RPM?

Any input appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
I have experience on the 1300 and 1800, in mountains and valleys....
The 1300 is lighter and handles better in slow speed and cornering. Hands down, the 1300 is better for that. The 1800 has plenty of giddy up n go, and stops good, the 1300 has good power and stops good. The 1300 gets better mpg, before fairing I could get 50mpg, after 43 mpg ish. The 1800, not that good, at best maybe 40, can't remember exactly, but at 110 miles my buddy is scared he is running out of fuel, as in on fumes! Fuel injection is nice, but, no reserve tank and if your battery dies there is absolutely no hope of roll starting it, so much torque it barely, will anyway, but it's no option.
The 1800 is a fine bike, no joke. I have spent time riding and working on them. The 1800 does cost more on up keep.
The 1300 easily has power for 450lbs of two up riding, even on interstate runs. The 1300 handles extremely well slow speed and in curves. I recommend both.
I have a fine 1300 for sale I will deal on, it is a fine bike that needs to find a new home, I fell in love with my ST and can't ride or afford 2. Look at my listing on here in the for sale section.
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/showthread.php?t=419193

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
I would say the 1300 is what you want. It carries the weight down low and has great bottom end power and mileage is not that bad. The 1800 is top heavy and is a power house and to me was everything but nimble. The 1300 has a couple low sides that are easy to fix and I know a local guy that could help you out. One is neck bearings, 35 bucks and about 3 hours work, two is the shock bushings which are quick and easy (I have some you can have) and being a Honda they are lean so jumping a size in the pilot and main on a stock bike brings them alive. If you were running over I-90 or down 5 alot on longer trips then I would say get the 1800 but for the riding you described I think you would get frustrated with handling and fuel mileage.

#4 ·
Never had any issues with neck bearings, mine are still good, shock bushings, I got the ones from a 1800 and they are fine, the ones that should be there, the 1300 ones only lasted a year each time, the 1800 ones 8 installed are 2 years old and still good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 · (Edited)
Some great info already! Thanks guys! I don't know much about either the 1300 or 1800, but aren't the newer 1300's EFI? If so what year and is it worth the added cost to buy newer? Jimbo to answer your question most of I5 I try to avoid because of traffic, but yes highway cruising is important, but not super long cross country type. Yes, i do alot of short trips, running around town and only 14 mile commute to work at 50 and under in light city driving with just a few lights. Weekends I make alot of 1-2 hour short trips here and there. So sounds like the 1300 would be better. Also, I'm just 5"8" 180 so seat height is another issue. The Spirit I am just shy of flat footing both sides, one side no problem.

Mileage difference definitely a factor if it's 10mpg difference.

Also, are all the 1300's single pin? And is there noticeable difference in vibration compared to my 1100 dual pin? Don't care about Harley sound. prefer the smoother option really.

#6 ·
Al 13s are single pin and 2009 was the last year of the carb and old style. I have heard everywhere from 34 to 40 mpg on the 1800 were I got around 45 most of the time. The 13 does pretty good on the slab, I ran mine to Moses Lake quite a few times at 80 mph and it was fine.

#8 ·
Yes the new 1300's are FI, but then you're out of the VTX models which were last manufactured in 2009 (all had carbs). You'd be looking at a Sabre , Stateline, or Interstate. Different animals entirely. 1300 Custom Line - Honda Powersports
I guess I'm not all the fond of that "custom look" of the 2010's and above. Possibly the Interstate if any, but that seat does not look comfortable at all to me. Bummer because an EFI bike does interest me.

Might have to swing by the dealer and see what they have and get a better idea. Then start watching for those that don't want to store their bike for another year. I actually have the room and $$ to store a few. Maybe buy this fall and sell later after I decide.0:)

Coop....is that price delivered to Auburn Wa. 98092? >:)

#10 ·
I bought my 750 Spirit as an around Town bike
Now with my commute I wish I bought the 1300 Stateline :(
My last bike was a 96 ACE shadow 1100

#11 ·
another thought here, beyond buying a larger bike. invest in your 1100. you can get progressive shocks a few inches lower than stock, a mustang seat that lowers you another couple of inches, handlebars that suit your reach. up your jets a bit, maybe a cobra/dynajet setup, free flow air filter, nice set of aftermarket pipes, maybe a paint job and you will be on a new bike with money left over for road trips. as to performance, in many cases a well tuned 1100 spirit is as or even more powerful than the 1300 due to less weight and a dual pin crank. if you add a 4* advance and beef your clutch with an extra washer (both these mods are on the same sticky on the tech thread) you will own a bigger piece of the road. as to the vtx 1800... well, that one h3ll of a bike there, a whole other story completely. just some ideas for you to ponder. whatever you do.. enjoy. cheers

#12 ·
My views

my 1100 isn't as stable at low speeds... but its light and twisty roads, it just loves them, Keeps up to the others on the flat but out does them in the corners

1300 more stable at slow speeds, the one I have ridden had floor boards and scrapes way earlier than my bike (also has boards now)... Was OK, has more torque but didn't seam to have more power mid range and above... it was std and mine I have played with so ??

1800 I found very stable at slow speeds, great in open roads with power to burn, great brakes, Didn't notice the weight..... until the tight twisty roads, It did OK but I preferred my bike on those

If I started again and had plenty of coin the 1800 for cruising and an adventure bike for twisty roads and gravel roads would be in my shed :p

#14 ·
Well I'm not too keen anymore on pipe and intake mods. Been down that road in the past with big $$ spent and very little return other then more noise and opening up for other problems. As for paint and changing, I like mine as is, I'm just considering options if a deal comes along that is tough to refuse. I thought the 1100 Sabre was a single pin motor? Anyway, prob. where the gearing bugs me most....1) low speed tight 90 deg and greater turns and getting caught between first and 2nd. I try to lug down and roll throttle light out of it usually in 2nd (dislike downshifting to 1st for anything other then stop or parking lot maneuvering) but now and then my bike talks back..."nope nope nope" stutters then behaves. Also the other is 5th gear. I rarely even use it and pretty much is useless much under 60 IMO.

These things are minor, and there is a good chance changing bikes will just bring up other dislikes...so I'm just trying to gather info on characteristics at this point. Also, just a slight smaller rear tire could improve things a bit possibly, but not sure I'd be happy on the few longer rides I will take.

#15 ·
For me, the power to weight ratio on a 750 vs 1100 wasn't there so I went with the 750 and the 750 mods. If I were doing more long distance traveling or 2 up I'd go with the 1300....my 2 cents.

#16 ·
Best thing to do is start taking test rides when available and sit on a bunch of other bikes just to feel the COG and don't limit yourself to Honda.
I was looking at a 1300 when I had my VT1100 and found the difference in extra weight offset the 1300s larger engine. Basically the 1300 is heavier and has no more get up and go then the VT1100 stuck with my Shadow. I also rode in a group with a couple that had a 1800 two up, it may have been TP but they could not get more than 5-6k on the rear tire before needing replacements, they traded for a Victory and have not complained in 4 years of riding.

#17 ·
I have only ever ridden 2 bikes to date, one is my 750ACE and the other was a brief test ride on a VTX1800.. I must say I was able to handle the 1800 in low speed cornering pretty easily! The weight did not bother me one bit! (I am 6' tall, 180lbs, average built). If you lean the bike over while at rest, the weight will scare you for sure! but once in motion, it rides light enough to not be a bother.

The brakes on the 1800 stood out the most for me. I read it has dual linked braking, and just squeezing on the front brake lever gives massive stopping power. My 750ACE brakes feels non existent by comparison. The 1800 also rode very comfortable over some broken / bumpy roads I had to pass through. Bike felt like it was floating over the rough stuff, not pitching about. (My 750 had dead shocks at the rear and rides horrible by comparison).

Finally, that power.. it really doesn't matter what gear you are in, it pulls strong!! It was a huge joy for a novice rider like myself to get to experience. If I ever get the financial means, I might consider upgrading to a VTX1300 or similar in the future.. but for now, I still love my ole 750..

#19 ·
Interesting. Found a near new one 2007 for under $5K about an hour from me.

2007 Yamaha V Star 1300, Port Orchard WA - - Cycletrader.com

Yes, plan to go looking over the weekend. That 1800 has my interest also, but don't want to turn a leisure ride into some kind of chore....but I am a sucker for power, though I'd rarely use it.

I also enjoy looking, kicking the tires, and coming up to speed on whats out the last several years I took off from riding.

#23 ·
Heres a thought, you said you are 5' 8" so how about looking into a 750 Magna? V4's are awesome. Vtwins are torquey but not the smoothest or the fastest unless you do max out on a VTX 1800. Heres a comparision index: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mcnews.com%2Fmcn%2Ftechnical%2F2013janperfindx.pdf&ei=gC4xVeLqIIiwsASsiYCQBw&usg=AFQjCNFM4RGTfIgdbFfYbRcVLsA0O36uWQ&sig2=WX2OBwK813aQWpgzAV94Fg&bvm=bv.91071109,d.cWc

#24 ·
Heres a thought, you said you are 5' 8" so how about looking into a 750 Magna? V4's are awesome. Vtwins are torquey but not the smoothest or the fastest unless you do max out on a VTX 1800. Heres a comparision index: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=WX2OBwK813aQWpgzAV94Fg&bvm=bv.91071109,d.cWc
I owned a V4 V65 (1100) Magna 3 years. Great bike, fast as heck, but I prefer low end torque and slower reving bikes like V twins. Flat footing both sides is no big deal. I grew up on big bore 4 stroke dirt bikes. I don't need to go "fast" anymore. I keep under 80, but I don't like to ride near a bikes limit either. I want something left...just so I can never use it. Many will not understand, but that's OK.

Thank you for the link. ;)

#25 ·
As far as the low end torque department, take a look at the Yamaha Road Star or Road Star Silverado.
Some say it was Yamahas answer to the HD. I put it into the you will either love it or loathe it category. I took one on a test ride and thought I was riding a diesel. It was a good ride but not what I was looking for at the time.

They have been out for a long time so there should be some good deals on them.

2014 Star Motorcycles Road Star Silverado S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.