Honda Shadow Forums banner

If you own a Aero 750,Spirit 750,or Phantom

23K views 71 replies 49 participants last post by  blb 
#1 · (Edited)
Could you please post year,model, length of ownership,mileage, and any problems encountered with the bike.Problems encountered should include whether or not it was something caused by a modification as many times the problems we see are often caused by mods or poor wrenching skills.
I will start,I am currently riding a 2012 Aero 750 that I purchased used about 7 weeks ago with about 1400 miles on the bike.I now have about 2500 miles on it.So far the only problem(just an annoyance really)was a rattle which I traced to the wire connections rattling inside the headlight bucket.I wrapped each one with a thin foam and so far the noise is gone.
Any replies to this thread are greatly appreciated!!!

#2 ·
I have a 2009 750 Spirit, bought last August. It had 9450 miles at purchase, and now after eleven months riding it has 15k plus miles.

I also have a rattle toward the front, sounds like a plastic piece rattling. I haven't found the source yet. The only other problem has been recently it dies when cold starting. I've solved the problem with a dose of Seafoam.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes sir,I recommended the SeaFoam in your thread on the cold start issue.The headlight bucket on these bikes are a rats nest of wires and hard plastic connectors that seem to be prone to rattling around.When you hear the noise again try reaching over the handlebars and applying a light pressure with your hand or finger to the headlight bucket and see if the noise goes away.

#5 ·
I did my friend,check previous threads started by me.This is by no means a complaint thread on the bike,just looking to see what people have encountered.Ride on....

#6 · (Edited)
Bought mine in May of 2014 with just under 5k on it. 6 weeks later it developed a leak at the gas petcock (Honda had a recall on this that had already been done and since it was over 5 years old the Federal law on emissions no longer applied, so I had to pay for it). It now has just over 17k on it and it has been trouble free other than the previously mentioned gas leak.

#7 ·
I bought a 2009 Aero about 3 months ago. It had 708 miles on it when I bought it and it has just under 3400 miles on it now. It has run great for me from the beginning. I do sometimes hear a rattle that I can't quite place, so I'll try the headlight thing to see if it is coming from there.

#8 ·
Mine is an 04 aero I bought it Jan of 2012 it had 12,*** miles. She is now at 30,000 miles the only problem was a dead bat after not starting it for a few months and the run switch started to have a bad connection but I installed a grip ace and got rid of that problem.

#14 ·
I have an 08 Spirit. I bought it 3 years ago with 6,000 miles. Now it had 17,000 and counting. Love the bike, and have had no problems. I did put Metzler tires on it right away and they were a huge improvement over the OEM Dunlops. I put non-ethanol gas in it when it's going to sit for a long time, but it runs great on 87 octane pump fuel.

#15 ·
I have an 83. Had a couple of problems so far, thebiggest thing being that there are no parts for it anymore.

Right now I am having to fix a problem with it not shifting. Trying to get the clutch gears off, and that is not working either.

I will post more in the tech thread.

#17 ·
blb, thanks for the heads up about the head light causing my rattle. You nailed it. In this case the rim was rattling against the bucket at the top. A u shaped opening on the rim fits a tab on the bucket with no rubber for vibration? Oh well, made a shim to close the gap, rattle gone. thanks

#19 ·
Actually my rattle may have been some rim rattle also.I put a band of black tape around the rim at the same time that I wrapped the connectors.Glad the noise is gone for the both of us.

#18 ·
2010 Phantom just replaced the OE tires with oversize Michelin Commander II's..8200 miles never had a problem with it. I didn't take it in for the bank angle sensor recall just blew it off. Runs great it's my second shadow my first was a 2002 750 ACE.

#21 ·
'03 Spirit 750, bought new with 125 miles on it, and now have almost 50k. Have added Cobra drags, Mustang seat, MS Fats windshield, National Cycle clear handguards, Kuryakyn ISO flame grips, diamond-shaped flame mirrors (too small, though) HD flame pegs, Passenger and driver backrests, Billski taillight, changed turn signals front and back, added spotlights, and changed out headlight with VTX model. The first mods I did were to install the grips, mirrors, pegs, and pipes, and changed out the sockets in the rear turns for 1157 socket, and painted the lenses red, so they could be running/turn lights, which worked great. Sold them later, and got some smaller 'bullet' type turns, but they're the 1156 type, and just haven't gotten around to change the sockets out since I'm not sure about 'space' inside them. They're really small, but I like the look, though I want more light on the back. When it came time to change out the chain/sprocket, I went to a 39-tooth, verses the stock 41-tooth, and highway use was much improved, but this last time I changed to a 38-tooth, and it's even better. When I first got the bike, I was shifting into 5th gear at 45 mph, and with the 39-tooth it was about 50-55 mph, but with the 38-tooth, I don't get into 5th gear until 60 mph! Highway speeds are PERFECT, now! Recently, I also got a K&N type chrome spike air cleaner off eBay, and was going to install it when I had the sprocket/chain installed, but I guess I didn't have the right jet kit, which came with the pipes, but shop installed the jet kit I had anyway, and now my gas mileage has dropped tremendously, which I'm NOT happy about. I used to go between 120-130 before hitting reserve, and NOW I'm barely getting over 100! That's a HUGE difference, though the bike seems to have s SLIGHT bit more power, it's not THAT much. When I get the spike air cleaner installed, though, after I get the Stage 3 jet kit for the bike from carbjetkits.com, I'm hoping the gas mileage won't drop again by another drastic amount.

As far as 'troubles' go, the main thing that I've had was to have the bike die and not want to run because of the 'vent tube' on the tank being plugged, and lately, when I go to switch to 'reserve', having the bike die anyway, and not start for a while until I've shaken the bike several times, waited for about 10 minutes, and then it might start and run to get me to the next gas station, otherwise I have to push it to the next gas station to fill up, which then runs fine again. I've run Seafoam through a few tanks, and that seems to solve the problem, for a couple tanks, and then the 'reserve' seems to get 'clogged' again. I probably need to pull the petcock and make sure the 'strainer'/filter on there is fine and not full of gunk or torn up, but since it's my 'daily ride' to and from work, I can't afford to have it 'down' and unable to ride.

#22 ·
'13 Spirit 750 Bought new, 5400 miles, No problems, Knock on wood
No modifications except mirrors

#27 ·
2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750
Bought brand new, right off the showroom floor - June 2007.
Mileage: 00,000 at purchase.
Purchased Honda's extended service plan at time of purchase too. (it paid for all the work/inspections done for 36 months)

Fast forward 8 years later...
Mileage: 33,580
Problems after 8 years: None! :)

Tires used over the past 8 years...
Bridgestone G701 & G702 (OEM tires, came with the bike in 2007) - lasted 16,200 miles.
Dunlop D404 (Dung Flop POS tires) - I made the mistake of having these mounted in 2010 as the last "freebie" of my Honda Riders Club extended service plan. Flippin' tires only lasted 8000 miles, and I'm not talking worn out - I'm talking BALD!! :shock:
Pirelli MT66 - current tires, installed Aug 2013 and have no problems at all.

After reading so many threads on this forum and asking advice, I learned how to do my own oil changes and change out my front brake pads. You Tube videos also helped with visualization of the process. And I'm one of those guys who is dangerous with a socket wrench! LOL... But I didn't bust anything or scratch up anything by doing my own maintenance on my Aero 750!

Favorite oil & filter: Shell Rotella T6. Purolator L14612 filter.
Brake pads: Normal, OEM, stock Honda brake pads from dealer.

Click on the photo in my signature, and you'll see the added backrest and sissy bar pouch (2007). And brand new, you'll see the new River Road textile saddlebags that my daughters bought me for father's day this year (2015).

All in all, and to make a long story short - I have had absolutely ZERO problems with my 2007 Shadow Aero 750. 33,580 miles and still going strong and running like it just left the showroom! :)

#28 ·
I have an 03 Spirit 750, about a month now, been on it a few times. Did the Jersey shore trip with it and it runs flawlessly.

Also have a 95 Magna and it too runs like a top. Totally different bikes!!!

No troubles to report yet fortunately.

#30 ·
2006 VT750DC Shadow Spirit bought new 6/6/2006. Over 39,000 miles on two continents, five European countries, the Swiss, Italian, Austrian and German Alps, the Appalachian mountains, and six U.S. States. Too many mods to list and never any problems other than routine maintenance of tires, brakes, battery, chain, sprockets, and bulbs. Ride almost every day to work except the year I was in DC. And winters the last five years here in Germany.

#31 ·
2005 Aero purchased new.
22000 miles

Seat/backrest
Shield
Lowers
Floor boards
Grips
Throttle lock
aux lighting
LED rear lighting
Air horn
Engine guard
charge indicator
clock
GPS mount
Saddle bags
American Flag

Only trouble was the auto petcock fuel shutoff valve. Replaced it.

#33 ·
2015 Phantom brand new off the showroom floor a couple months ago. V&H shortshots, mustang seat, Honda bags and backrest. Still have a lot of plans in mind but I'm in no rush. 3,500 miles so far and not a single problem. Sounds great, rides great, looks great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.