Honda Shadow Forums banner

First real race

8K views 63 replies 28 participants last post by  Verndog 
#1 ·
So, i raced a GL1800 last night, got up around 100 in a 5th gear roll and he couldnt get away and i started reeling him in before traffic stopped us. He did a dumb sport bike move and cut a car off, i waited for the cars to clear enough to slam 4th and catch up and pass him.

Flame on...

#11 ·
No, he was, i had to go full throttle.

A GL1800? ... Thems are some quick bikes.. The F6B is speed limited to 125.. The full dressed 'Wing has a higher top-speed, though the F6B cooks the dresser on acceleration..

What's the specs on your Fury?
HP wise i dont know, i can guess based on the map i run (and the fact that map was used with dyno tuning for an ECU reflash) im close to 70 at the wheel. I also have a higher red line than a stock Wing, no clue on any mods he had. Also quite a few places i looked said they peter out at 5500rpm (tq falls off) so its pointless to rev any higher. At 6100 mine is still pulling hard.

Someone did a test on an 'uncorked' Fury (no clue what that means) and the top speed was 138.X mph. They are geared really high.

Ill be going to the drag strip pretty soon, so ill have some hard numbers for you to argue with me over :p

#3 ·
A GL1800? ... Thems are some quick bikes.. The F6B is speed limited to 125.. The full dressed 'Wing has a higher top-speed, though the F6B cooks the dresser on acceleration..

What's the specs on your Fury?

#5 ·
Video games are nice ain't they.

Joking. I give the gl credit. To take a bike that big up to 100 plus in traffic he's got golden coconut.

Last race I did was a 1200 sport. With my 1100ace at 100mph im done. I rather live for tomorrow.

Be safe haven fun when your clear.

#47 ·
To take a bike that big up to 100 plus in traffic he's got golden coconut.
I USED to take my VT700 up beyong 100 in RUSH hour traffic in Austin, but that was when I was young and stupid. The funny part is that I was usually 'racing' my friend who had a big Suburban, and he was keeping up with me fairly well, most of the time. I do NOT ride like that anymore, THAT'S for SURE! Guess I've 'mellowed' as I aged. That, plus I discovered that doing the speed limit gets you through all the lights better/faster anyway, without all the high blood pressure of traffic troubles at those speeds.

#8 · (Edited)
Well, I wouldn't race anything on my 1100. In fact, I don't race at all - anymore.

But if you pulled up to me on my Bandit and blipped your throttle in roughly 4
seconds I'd be passing 100mph and you in 2nd gear.

Which is exactly why I don't race -- anymore.

Then again...

Blip, blip! ;-)

BTW: Sport bikes aren't the only machines doing 'dumb moves' like cutting cagers off. ;-)

#20 ·
When did i ever claim mine was stock? The PCV allows for a 6100 rpm redline which obliterates the 100mph 5th gear rev limiter.

Jimbo2. You are correct. Top speed governed to 100 miles per hour.
See above.

Once work has been done, it's always gonna be a different animal, but Stock, had read (when researching for new scoot), that a Goldwing can hit 135.. But most will tell you that anything faster than 115-125 is going to be a bit of a struggle.. It'll get to a fair top speed, but gonna huff and puff a little getting there.. (We're talking out of the crate, now)..

My Vic' is decently quick too. Stock, it will make 130+ but a Goldwing will out accelerate it over a mile and quarter mile.. Most twins are gonna be quicker off the line, but that flat six, once rolling, will fly..

The F6B, they had to speed limit that bike (so I had read), as it becomes a little unstable past 125.. That bike is a freakin'-monster. :shock:

Not sure about the Valkyrie, wasn't on my wish list, so didn't do much if any research into it..

Your Fury, (stock), is supposed to max out at around 110, though without looking too much into it, I'd be guessing to how quick it got there.. Pretty quick would be a guess.. ;)

With work done it's always gonna be a crap-shoot.. My Vic - put a big bore in that thing, a turbo charger, or even just change out the cams and clutch, give it more air and fuel.. Gonna do well at the track, too..

My new Trumpet? A different class of bike; but on paper it was in-line with my Vic', power-delivery-wise.. On the street, that little-thing is a greasy-fast squirrel! It flies.. It's a useably quick bike, stock. But, with different cams, more air and a new fuel map? I could easily make that bike fast enough to kill me.

And.. :D ... Talking about bikes killing a person.. You Be careful Fluffy! Winding it out on a track? That's one thing.. On the street.. You're getting too old for that crap! ;) .. :mrgreen:
The vid i made going over 110 is at such an angle you cant see the needle go past the hash mark, but ill post it if you want. Bike is very stable, but the wind is another matter.

I'm here to eat popcorn.

but must question one thing if that bike stock is 56RWHP and you are saying the ONLY mods done are ECU flash to run a new fuel map. and your calming 70RWHP i must say i find it hard pressed to believe. lets see some dyno sheets.

other than that ill just eat my popcorn.

oh i think my wives ninja could give you a run for your money at 500cc.
Where did i say my only mods were an ECU reflash? In fact, where did i say i got mine flashed?

The ECU reflash guys did a couple weeks of dyno testing (in their shop, Guhl Motors) using a fuel map created by a DynoJet Power Commander 5 with the Auto Tune module.

The reflash had a 6100 redline which netted almost 10hp without any fuel adjustments. The factory limits the motor to 5400 stock for EPA noise regs, its very detuned. With a few tweaks to timing and the custom fuel map, IIRC, the end result was 72-73 rwhp and 83+/- tq.

So, since i run the same map (ive tweaked it a little more) and run a better flowing intake and exhaust side, i see no reason im not right about 70hp.

The Ninja is an inline 4cyl, but id love to give it a roast.

#18 ·
I'm here to eat popcorn.

but must question one thing if that bike stock is 56RWHP and you are saying the ONLY mods done are ECU flash to run a new fuel map. and your calming 70RWHP i must say i find it hard pressed to believe. lets see some dyno sheets.

other than that ill just eat my popcorn.

oh i think my wives ninja could give you a run for your money at 500cc.

#30 ·
And you think you could take it still? LOL. Please knock off the pop corn jokes, while i can accept 'flaming' i wont accept drama laden remarks.

Oh, I have no doubt that a bike can go faster than a pegged limit, just a case of lifting that limit if it's programmed.. As easy as raising rev-limits and RPM Redlines, too... Just need to get into the ECU and .. Of you go..

One of the main reasons I went with the Vic' and the Triumph is that both are so easy to work on.. The Triumph is almost famous for ECU hacks.. TuneECU (to name but one) is a program which allows you to adjust (pretty-much) all programmed controls and limitations on the bike..

Seems almost like that is where newer bikes are heading.. Won't be long before you can plug a bike in, tell the program what you need out of it, and it'll send you to the store for parts while it tweaks the ECU for you..

You're still too damn old to be racing in the streets tho'!! ... :lol:
Thats why i chose the PCV over anything out there, i have total control over everything save for when the cooling fan comes on and thats of little concern.

Also, how old is old and how 'old' do you think i am? John Force is a LOT older than i am and still races.

My Valkyries, especially the black & red hot rod likes to eat cruisers for breakfast & lunch. Both of them kinda have a fondness for Hardley's. I easily hit 130+ yesterday on the freeway with more room to go on the throttle when a Hardley thought he could overtake me.
I kept up with a Valk once on my Spirit, only had the slip-ons at that point. Im not saying he didnt walk away and while he was doing so kept the front tire about 3" off the pavement while carrying 600 lbs of riders though.

Im also not saying that the 'Wing couldnt have gone faster, but while he was accelerating, i was pulling on him. Whats so hard to believe about that? Is it easier to believe that i beat a 95/96 Trans Am (Ram Air edition, single pop-ups) by 8 car lengths at 140 mph in my Eagle Talon?

#24 ·
I'll head down the interstate if I want to go fast. 75-80mph ? ..I'm happy there.. But, occasionally you'll need to go fast, whether you want to or not.. My Tiger has much better acceleration compared to my Vic.. I have hit 110 a couple of times on my Vic overtaking schmucks which'll travel at 40mph - everywhere - then wind it out to 85mph when you move to overtake them..

Not fun if your bike runs out of oomph and there's a car behind you, also trying to overtake said schmuck, inadvertently piston-pumping you into oncoming cages..

Take my word for that.. :shock:

Suffering the same fools on the Tigger-er, I have never needed to get past 95.. They just can't compete with that acceleration..

So, for all practical purposes, riding on the road, I would say that acceleration is much more preferable over top speed...

I would never really want to test the limits on either of my bikes, too much speed for my liking.. They are fast enough to keep me safe when I run across psychotic f'krs which would choose to speed up and run me into oncoming traffic, just because they have a fear of being overtaken.. So, fast enough for me..

A squirt of speed can definitely go a long way to saving your life.. Screwing around with too much speed, can pretty-much have the opposite effect tho'.. Gotta be careful..

#26 ·
True! And hey, if it's your thing, and you can do it safely? Why not? .. Me? I have nothing against jumping out of perfectly good aircraft.. Some people think that's daft.. I don't really like going redonkulously fast on my bike tho', so you won't normally find me more than a few miles above a speed limit.

But, like I say.. Whatever.. I'm just glad to have speed on-tap when I need it.. But then, Good Brakes come in handy, too ;) .. :)

#27 ·
My Valkyries, especially the black & red hot rod likes to eat cruisers for breakfast & lunch. Both of them kinda have a fondness for Hardley's. I easily hit 130+ yesterday on the freeway with more room to go on the throttle when a Hardley thought he could overtake me.

#32 ·
So you did as good with as Cobra and one of the top speed shops and did not change cams, pistons, pipes etc like they did? From the power curves I have seen by 55 to 5800 you are better off in the next gear.
Stock Torque Output - Torque 71.32 lb-ft @3100 rpm HP 56.23 hp @ 4300 rpm
With new Pistons, Cams, Intake – Torque 76.18 lb-ft @3600 rpm HP 66.47 @ 5100 rpm
With new Pistons, Cams, Intake, Cobra Speedster Pipes & Fi2000 – Torque 80.13 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm
HP 71.25 hp @ 5150 rpm
Gain from pipes alone – 3.92 lb-ft torque 4.73 hp
Total Gains – 8.78 lb-ft of Torque and 15.02 hp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.