Honda Shadow Forums banner

worst things that ever hit you

7K views 65 replies 48 participants last post by  spudbuzz 
#1 ·
I was riding on route 7 coming home. I end up getting hit by a bug on the fingertip. It actually made me shake my hand. So on that note I was wondering what is the worst y'all have ever been hit with. I know we all been hit with bugs and I know we all been hit with rocks but what else.

#4 ·
For me more weather related;
Years ago I was doing some twisties and hit a bunch of wet leaves on a curve, .
Last year hit a pretty bad micro-burst in Tower City Pa. there was no place to safely get off so just soldiered on through the massive amount of rain, crosswinds and temperature drop. Temp went from 90 to 67 in less than 5 miles.

#7 ·
Let's see... Heading down to Mammoth Cave on I-65 a car I was passing had a front tire blow out. A piece of rubber hit my helmet. Caught a junebug in the adams apple once, NEVER want that to happen again. Trying to make a run for an overpass and beat a storm I caught a hail stone right on the left testicle. Said to hell with the overpass, pulled to the side and leaned over the tank so it wouldn't get any dents. For some reason my wife thought that was funny...

#8 · (Edited)
Nothing too serious. A crow once, but it actually didn't hit me, it got hit by my clutch cylinder, then slid up my arm and over my shoulder and fell down in the road dead.

A big white rabbit got hit by my footpeg and knocked my foot off the peg, but no other trouble. Rabbit didn't fare so well, though.

I came very close to hitting a deer a few years ago, but I got lucky and it turned away instead of into me at the last second.

The most painful was when a bee went down my shirt and stung me on the back. :surprise:

ETA: Forgot to add, a big butterfly hit me in the sunglasses (had my visor up) and splattered all over my glasses and face. I had no idea they had yellow guts.

#14 ·
Most pucker factor : Part of a semi tire hit my saddle bag and set me zigging all over the place, but recovered. Saddle bag not so much.
Most painful : Two yellow jackets to my exposed neck and down inside my shirt. Couldn't get that jacket off fast enough.
One reason I now wear neck sock over beard on longer rides.

#16 ·
Had to slam on the brakes Last Thursday - a herd of elk appearing skittish by the side of the road.. Signaled to on oncoming biker that he should stop too (which he did).. Wish I had my GoPro rolling for that one.. They all ended-up taking-off across the road.. A big bull, a bunch of cows and couple of calves.. Cute to watch, not so cute to happen upon unawares tho'.. So easy to come undone on a bike..

A bird flew under my front tire a year or so ago, ducked for more-than a few more of them, was nearly cleared up by a racoon, a razorback, and a couple of deer too..

Nearly.. ;)

Stinging critters down the neck of my summer riding jacket.. Twice.. A couple of years apart... Wish those had been near misses too! They worked me over pretty good for a couple of miles, each.. Not Cool!

#18 ·
as for what hit me...Big black beetle to the left shoulder on I-10 doing 75. (left a bruise for a long while). Dove to the right boot at about 55. Dove to the top of the helmet at about 55. I hit a javelina lying in the rode one dark morning, that was my biggest pucker factor. I actually caught air on that one.

#19 ·
I've been hit in the face with the largest flying bugs you can get hit with out here. The dreaded 'June Bug', a LARGE Cicada and a couple weeks ago a LARGE dragon fly. The cicada was the only one to leave a bruise. With the dragon fly, I had to pull a couple wings out from between my face and the side of my 3/4 helmet. Gross.

#20 ·
Have had very good luck so far. Dodged many a deer without impact. Was riding the county roads of Jefferson County,Ohio, came around a sharp turn and there are 3 buzzards in the road. Cleared two but the third one hit the top of the windshield and bounced off the top of my modular helmet. Never realized how big those buzzards are. Without the windshield, that thing would have knocked me right off the bike.

#24 ·
The only recent encounters.

A smallish bird to the shoulder this spring, really got my attention, two lane highway at speed, shoulder was sore for a couple of days, just wearing a lightish leather jacket.

Last year I had a large fly go straight down my throat while riding along, I was riding past a waste management (Sewage) plant at the time.
Makes a case for for face masks and full face helmets or breathing through your nose and not trimming those nose hairs, I was coughing and spitting for miles.

#27 ·
I`ve gotta say the WORST thing to hit me was ===> the right front fender and windshield post of a car which turned left into my right of way...

D

#34 ·
Fly up the right nostril. I was doing about 60 on the expressway and only thing i could do was close my left one with my left thumb while holding my hand cupped under my nose and blow really hard. My nose felt like a virgins you know what for a few hours after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.