Honda Shadow Forums banner

Hd hard bags on shadow

16K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  crash33 
#1 ·
I'm looking at putting on some hardbags on my spirit and was looking around. The spirit has a similar fender style to a dyna and i want a
Something that flows nicely on the bike. I was looking at the mutazu LW bags cause they are big enough to hold a good bit i think. Than i came across pics of roadglides and i like the sharp edges of the bags. If anyone has done this or has put HD hard bags onto the shadow spirit can u post pics? I would like a rear and side shot mainly.

Thanks

#9 ·
I like my Mutazu HL bags. Can't beat the price. I even ordered them painted from their website. I checked on getting unpainted bags and having them painted by a shop here. It would have cost me over $600 for the paint job alone.

#12 ·
12.5 tall seems a little big for a Spirit especially on the exhaust side and unless you relocate your turn signals, 17" wide is a lot. Make sure to double and triple check your measurements.

#14 ·
Hard Bags

Crash33:

I have a 2001 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC. I purchased it in September of 2014. The previous owner added an Engine Guard, Hard Bags, Skene Design P3 Modulator Lights, Sissy Bar, and a Windshield. I also lucked out since the motorcycle only had 2600 original miles, and looks “Show Room" new.

The Hard Bags are the LeatherLyke (Catalog | LeatherLyke Riding Luggage: Hard Locking Motorcycle Saddle Bags, Sissy bar bag) Hard Bags that are lockable. My motorcycle has the Cross Country Bags #328 (Cross Country Motorcycle Saddlebags Honda Shadow Spirit 750 2001-2007 (Chain Drive Models Only) | LeatherLyke Riding Luggage: Hard Locking Motorcycle Saddle Bags, Sissy bar bag) without the Studs and Conchos. I am considering adding the #912 Cruiser Case.

I recently modified my Hard Bags to add lighting. I added two 4" LED Strips to both bags. One strip is in the rear and the other strip is mounted forward of the LeatherLyke name in the gusset. I wanted to increase my conspicuity since the Hard Bags block and side reflectors. Another consideration is adding Poly-Planar Waterproof Marine Speakers to the Hard Bag lids.

I am also adding some additional options: 1. Boss MC500 Stereo System, 2. Eklipes USB Power Port and Charging System, 3. Kuryakyn Chrome 9194 Clutch Perch Cover, 9187 Master Brake Cylinder Cover, 9194 Switch Housing Covers, 7421 Wide Control Levers, 6240 ISO Grips to dress up the Handlebar, and 4393 Mini Floorboards for Driver and Passenger, 4. a 12 Strip, Orange LEDGlow Light Kit, 5. PIAA 005 Xtreme White Driving Lights on the Engine Guard, and 6. Rowe-Electronics PDM60 Power Distribution Module for efficient electrical power management.

I also found an alternative to the Breakaway Cruise Control. I purchased an Electromagnetic Cruise Assist from SMW Project in Poland. You can view their video at: (SMW Project - Tempomat motocyklowy / Motorcycle Cruise Control - DragTimes.com). The Web page is in Polish, but Google Translator works well to translate this to English. The cost with Exchange, Freight, and Wire Transfer Fee is approximately $270.00. Installation is extremely easy if you watch their video.

Hope this information is helpful with your motorcycle.:nerd:

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks. My Harley buds swear that RK bags will not fit on a staggered pipe Shadow. Your bikes bag setup begs to differ. LOL
With that said though, your shotgun pipes are close together and low. Mine...not so much. Even the V&H pipes sit basically where the stock pipes do on my bike.

#21 ·
Sorry for the delay guys. Got sidelined on another shiny object.

Here are some measurements that I took and I tried to get a picture of the mounts. I hope they help. They weren't too bad to fabricate. I just used some flat stock and welded a short piece down from the mount to support the bottom side of the bag.

I drilled holes in the bag to line up with the rear bolt hole on the bike and mount, the other one simply bolts into the sheet of steel and then the steel uses another bolt to mount to the bike. It's a little wonky to remove, but not terrible.

Not the best pic, but you can see that the front fender bolt only goes to the metal plate, and then the original front bag bolt hole is slightly below that. I welded a nut onto the metal plate so that I didn't have to dink with it every time. I just run the bolt from the inside and bolt the bag to the sheet.

I drilled a new hole in the bag for the rear bolt to line up with the hole in the fender mount. You can also see the metal piece that I welded down from the upper piece. This helps support the bottom part of the bag and keep it from tipping in toward the wheel. The bag still had a bit of a bounce, so I drilled the lower part and put a small bolt in there as well. It greatly helped support the bags.

One of the big issues was making sure that the lids didn't hit anything when you opened them. As they are, they clear the seat and the bracket. They just barely rub the fender when opened, but not by much. I also like these bags as they have a push button to open them, instead of the dual clips as most Road King bags have.

To help space the mounts out a little from the fender, I used some collars like this one http://www.emmett-enterprises.com/images/SHAFT-COLLARS.jpg. Sorry, but I don't remember exactly what size I used, but they are just slightly larger than the bolt that goes into the fender and, I needed to grind just a little off the edges so that they would fit down flat on the fender brace.

I know, a LOT of generalities, but it has been a little bit since I fabbed this up and my mind has been fried lately. If ya have any questions or want more info, feel free to let me know. Hope this helps! And remember, the bags and the exhaust move together, so they never get any closer than what they are shown in the pic below.

#23 ·
Viking Bags...

I have Viking Hard Bags on my 2002 1100 Spirit...I like the way they look...but not a year old yet and getting a lot of stress cracks already...Love the look but really ****ty quality for the price...

Attachments

#24 ·
I have Viking Hard Bags on my 2002 1100 Spirit...I like the way they look...but not a year old yet and getting a lot of stress cracks already...Love the look but really ****ty quality for the price...
Very clean scooter. Yeah, I've been reading quite a few reviews on the Viking bags and the price is where I want to be, but it seems like the quality is coming up a bit short.

#26 ·
AZDOM,
If you were asking about mine, then yes, they are leather covered hard bags off of a Road King H-D. The light bar for the turn signals is the original AERO part. I just replaced the original turn signals with H-D units since they mount closer together and make room for the bags. They fit pretty well and I like 'em a lot. Hope it helps!

#27 ·
Ok , here is what I can tell you about my Lamellar Extra Large Shock Cutout Leather Covered Saddlebags.

I liked the look of the black painted hard bags but went with the "leather" covered figuring that the covering might make the fiberglass shell a bit studlier as well as not showing scuff marks or cracks.
I used the Quick Disconnect Mounting system to mount the bags. Expensive but well worth it. When you want to remove the bags for any reason the key un- locks them and they come right off.
One bag can hold a XL leather coat with zip out liner and my Girbing leather heated gloves easily.
The bags are about a year old now and no issues other that having to tighten up the little hinge screws.
I'll try to attach a photo of them on my 02 Sabre.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.