Honda Shadow Forums banner

Winter gear suggestions.

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  MickeyGlass 
#1 ·
I know it's early to be thinking about cold weather gear, but with two cars and one bike in my family of three, I ride to work as much as I can in the winter. This winter I want to be a little more comfortable, and I want to start shopping now.

Jeans with long underwear were not enough for me in low forties at fifty mph. I'd like some chaps that are effective for under $200. I also need better gloves, hopefully for $100 or less. I know lot's of you guys ride in the winter, your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
There are lots of topics about this, but I tend to give the same advice to "all-ya-all" Southerners. ;)

Now is a good time to check for Snowmobile gear sales. It's a little late in the season - March-April is usually the end of the season, so they sell everything off to make room for the dirt bikes & quad racing equipment - but you can still find some great deals, especially on smaller items like gloves and boots.

Gloves | Bob's Cycle Supply

Bob's is local here, so they're the site I post. I bought a set of FLY gauntlets from Bob's a few years ago for about $50 right around this time of year. They were originally $100+ (IIRC). It looks like their current closeouts aren't quite that good, but I see some HJC's, FXR's and the Cortech Journey 2.0 look like they would be just fine for you at under $50.

Also, get a balaclava for under your helmet. The gloves were a huge help, but the bala made the biggest difference, dollars per donuts.

Seirus Ultra Clava - REI.com

#3 ·
I used to layer up - but got tired of feeling like...

This fella...

So I just stocked up on some Tourmaster Synergy heated gear, myself.

I used to use some real high-dollar Alpinestars Gore-Tex winter gloves, and quickly learned that I hate having my hands feel too bulky on the grips.. Hard to explain.. Feels like my hands are drunk.. So, last year I stored the thick gloves and went with thinner gloves, wind deflectors and heated grips - this - for me - works better than thick gloves.. I can wear my thinner gloves, have better mobility and dexterity and still be comfortable..

So.. There's that..

#4 ·
I install wind protection for the hands and legs...
I find this attack very rewarding...
Many threads on this subject can be had with our search function true...
But Many will advise here in this one too...
We have many opinions from members who no longer visit here...

Lets RIDE warm,
D

#5 ·
Hotwired heated gear for me. Glove liners are small and work ok, heated gloves are BIG and work GREAT almost too hot for me and way too bulky. Vest is HOT but doesn't heat arms, jacket liner is pretty good. I like the jacket liner the most, light weight but still warm enough for me and I keep it on the bike all the time so on those warm day cool night rides I can slip it on just to knock the chill off. I have leather pants over regular pants and that's enough for me.

#6 ·
Last winter I found these gloves to be surprisingly warm even though they aren't considered a 'winter' glove. I'll ride down into the mid 30's and while my finger tips would eventually get cold they kept the rest of my hands warm. If you're riding in the mid 40's and not a cold natured person I'd think they would work well.

Icon PDX Waterproof Gloves - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore

For they rest of you, layering is the key, learned that from many years sitting in a treestand. Spent about 3 hours one evening siting in -2*F. Up top I'll wear a t-shirt, a long sleeve t-shirt, a sweatshirt and a vintage Hondaline jacket with the liner. On the lower part I'll wear a pair of poly long johns, jeans, and textile chaps. As I said, I'm good down into the mid 30's dressed that way. To cure the cold fingertip problem I sprang for a pair of Fly Racing Igniter battery powered heated gloves. The painfully cold fingertips is the only reason I would have to stop every 30 minutes or so.

#8 ·
Several way to look at this:
1. Add accessories to your bike to keep the wind off your hands and legs. Handlebar mounted deflectors for hand protection and fork mounted lowers. If you had highway bars mounted on your bike you could install coverings to block the elements like Desert Dawgs Desert Dawgs Rain Guards | Leader Motorcycle
2. Dress accordingly. Too many options to discuss, but living in MN for all of my 60 years keep it loose so your body temp keeps the air chamber warm. Quality goose down products provide the best natural insulation with an outer shell that is wind resistant and waterproof. ;)

#10 ·
The main thing is to break the wind. I use several layers under my leathers. Got nice Olympia gloves and glove liners. My plexifairing has some hand protection built into the shield. Some of my layers are flanel lined heavy nylon. It helps hold in the heat. I wear an on old nylon snap on hood(jacket died) under my helmet. I usually stay pretty warm.

#11 ·
Dude....it's August 27th for crying out loud :crying:

You have a windshield. #1 best help in cold weather.

I have nice winter gloves, and I wear a smaller sized windbreaker over a thin poly long sleeved T under my over jacket. Got it from an employer 15 years ago; heavy nylon and thin insulation but it is the warmest I have by a mile.
Long johns and fleece lined pants.
I have been known to put sandwich bags over my socks before booting up....really helps with the wind.
When it gets too cold for that set up it usually means ice on the road anyway, and I'm home on the couch.

#13 ·
The first motorcycle accessory I bought was oversized chaps to fit over my winter clothing...
I have a snowsuit I bought in the early 80s, while working in snow for the first time, a Sears nylon, 3M insulated coveralls with zippers all the way up the leg...
When I`ll be riding in the cold for more than an hour, I put that on, then cover it in leather...
I stay warm in 19 degrees @ 65MPH...
But for less than an hour?
The chill doesn`t get through my CHPs style jacket, insulated gloves and regular fitting chaps...
As I mentioned earlier, IF you keep the wind off, you`re ahead of the chill...

Lets RIDE
D

#15 ·
I have ridden at 16 degrees. Wore a shirt, sweatshirt, jacket and covered all with a snowmobile suit. Some Smart Wool gloves under my winter riding gloves with gauntlets helped. A scarf works around the neck. My toes got a little cold but I did not feel much more than cool otherwise. The snowmobile suit is one piece so there are no leaks around the waist. I did have to use some velcro straps to close the legs. The suit was around $70 and has lasted more than ten years. There are some melted spots on the right leg, but other than that it has kept me warm on those cold mornings.

#16 ·
Just wanted to add to my previous post. I said that I hadn't any of the Branson Wholesale products, but at the time I had ordered a "heavy duty" leather jacket from them. It came today and I couldn't be happier with it. Seems to be really well made and is definitely heavy duty. Zip out liner and neck warmer comes with it. Pretty nice. The jacket was only $80.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.