Honda Shadow Forums banner

Boots and Helmet

5K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  Coop 
#1 ·
I was in an accident last week and the ins company has given me money to replace my boots and helmet. Here are my two questions:

1) It's my understanding that you treat a helmet like you do a infant car seat; once it's been an accident, you get rid of it. Are there places that recycle helmets? I hate to just throw this thing in a landfill, since it won't biodegrade for a bajillion years. Also, for those that have full face helmets (no starting of the helmet wars!), what brand\model do you use? I have a bilt, but it's heavy.

2) What motorcycle boots do you wear? I have been using steel toe brahma boots (construction style, but since they aren't actual motorcycle boots, and I've got the opportunity to get some real one's, any suggestions? Or brands to stay away from?

Thanks!

john

2005 Yamaha vstar 650

#2 ·
John, I'm glad you are here to ask those questions!
Me, no clue about helmet recycling. I understand why you ask!
My brand that I just got and love is the Kabuto Kamui, it came from Revzilla, it's pretty light, highly rated online and I love all the features! It was a mid price helmet in my opinion, about $250. The helmet has a drop down sun visor, great vents and is pretty light. Another wonderful added addition that is worth the extra money is the shield is pin lock ready and has a pinlock included, that's about $70 that you would have to buy on another helmet that will keep the helmet from fogging, it's INCLUDED with the price of helmet!
Boots, I just wear a pair of Rocky 8" leather, I have some Goretex hunting boots I will haveta wear soon though.

#3 ·
Both of these questions come down to personal preference. I think the best course of action is to try on as many as you can. You want a boot that is supportive but not so stiff that walking becomes quickly difficult, especially on terrain. big clunky boots may cause interference with shifting and braking as well.. You want a helmet that fits snug but doesn't strangle. It doesn't matter if you are a gear head or not, an uncomfortable helmet ain't your friend. Both should allow good airflow.

#4 ·
2) What motorcycle boots do you wear? I have been using steel toe brahma boots (construction style, but since they aren't actual motorcycle boots, and I've got the opportunity to get some real one's, any suggestions? Or brands to stay away from?

Thanks!

john

2005 Yamaha vstar 650

Ive got steel toes Wolverines. They are anti-slip, and they stick even in oil/rain/ whatever. Very comfortable to walk around in. They aren't motorcycle specific but are high quality.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
...Recycled helmets? Never heard of such a thing... Me? I'd throw it away... But not before scribing my name somewhere into it.. That way, in 500 million years, they will know what to name me when they clone me from my helmet swabbin's.. ;)

I wear a Schuberth C3-Pro helmet, which I really like, but you can probably get a great modular (if they're your thing) for less than half that price, and TCX gore-tex desert boots.. Which are a super-comfy waterproof adventure touring boot.. But.. I wore a pair of S.W.A.T boots before I got those, and they were real nice too.. You don't really need much more than a decently fitting, well made, good stout pair of boots unless you are planning to be getting radical, or standing on pegs, or generally plan to be going overboard about the whole affair.. Just my opinion anyway..

Best of luck.. Glad you have reached the "buying new gear" stage of your recovery.. May your last off be just that.. Your last.. ;)

#7 ·
...Recycled helmets? Never heard of such a thing... Me? I'd throw it away... But not before scribing my name somewhere into it.. That way, in 500 million years, they will know what to name me when they clone me from my helmet swabbin's.. ;)

I wear a Schuberth C3-Pro helmet, which I really like, but you can probably get a great modular (if they're your thing) for less than half that price, and TCX gore-tex desert boots.. Which are a super-comfy waterproof adventure touring boot.. But.. I wore a pair of S.W.A.T boots before I got those, and they were real nice too.. You don't really need much more than a decently fitting, well made, good stout pair of boots unless you are planning to be getting radical, or standing on pegs, or generally plan to be going overboard about the whole affair.. Just my opinion anyway..

Best of luck.. Glad you have reached the "buying new gear" stage of your recovery.. May your last off be just that.. Your last.. ;)
That's why I started early, besides they will be better trained if I do it myself.

#6 ·
Another thing, go to Revzilla website and look at videos of helmets and reviews, buy from wherever you can, locally is best, but at Revzilla they give good descriptions of how helmets are shaped for different heads. Gmax is a great slightly lower priced helmet, but, they are for rounded heads, mine is oblong ish, so it way a little uncomfortable. HJC(modular) lids unless the higher end ones have been known to be loud, I know, I just retired one because of it!

#8 ·
Glad to see you made it!

One of our local bike shops takes old helmets as donations. They are predominately dirt & off-road shop, so they get plenty. An extra cruiser lid isn't going to matter to them. I think they give you $10 or so for the trade, if you're buying a replacement from them.

For boots, I use a set of Red Wings, specifically because they are comfortable when on, or off, the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
I don't have a huge amount of experience but I have had a few. The HJC was more comfortable than the the BILT modular that I've got. The padding is thicker and the fit and finish is better too. The BILT is a modular helmet with a drop down sun visor for $100 bucks .
Regarding boots, I don't have cycle specific boots but have looked at them. I have looked at them but just can't justify them now. I do prefer steel toe. They saved my bacon on one occasion. I'm sure that boys that are purpose made would be better than what I'm using but we're also not racing moto gp here. For me, jacket, helmet and gloves are the most important to pay attention to.

#11 · (Edited)
What?! Size 15?! I'm leavin' that one alone. But lookout, vito may appear at any moment! Are you the guy that said he had a butt cheek as big as me?! Oh, and back to subject here, Nolan N102 modular with N-Com, plain old round toe leather high top boot.

#12 · (Edited)
What?! Size 15?! I'm leavin' that one alone.
Hey, 'ya know what big shoes mean don't 'cha?>:)

I've ridden with my Wolverine composite toed work boots with no problems, but really like the Speed & Strength Black 9 Moto boots I bought last year. Protection in the toe and ankle areas but flexible enough to comfortably wear anywhere.

#13 ·
I've had some Joe Rocket boots, Icon boots, and some Alpinestar shoes. I would definitely get something that protects your heels and ankles. As well, weight should be taken into consideration. Some heavy steel toe boots could make your feet act like a giant pendulum in an "off" moment. I always worry that riding with regular boots, that somehow the laces might get tangled up with the shifter or the brake controls. Maybe I worry too much. But, since I'm in full control of the gear I select, I prefer to take some time to make a few good choices. In the last 6 years, I've been unceremoniously tossed off my bike twice. Thankfully, I've never been hurt that bad. And, while my riding skills proved to be lacking, my protective gear wasn't.

#17 ·
If the shell of your helmet is not broken why discard the helmet. What size is it. Don't go crazy just asking guys.

I recently purchased a LS2 modular helmet model FF386. Has all the bells and whistles with drop down sun shield and all ready to accept Pinlock. The safety rating is ECE that has higher standards as DOT helmets. Very comfortable after I got over the initial feeling of a new helmet.

My boots are several years old. Lace up with high protection over the ankle. The soles and heals have been replaced 4 times.

#18 ·
If the shell of your helmet is not broken why discard the helmet. What size is it. Don't go crazy just asking guys.
From what I've been told, the helmet may be ok if one hard fall or time of impact, but, just how good is it on the next one? Me, not willing to take that chance. Now, if my new lid falls off seat tomorrow will I trash it, nope, but it will be thoroughly checked out!

#28 ·
The shell isn't cracked, just a really good scuff mark. But should an off happen again, I don't want to take chances.

My jacket was the same way, got torn up near the armor, so ins gave me money to replace. If anyone wants a well loved xelement armored riding jacket, I've got one. New one is on the way.

#32 ·
Boots and helmet

Sounds like everyone is mostly in agreement, I always heard that a helmet was compromised with even a slight drop. I have a GMax modular that is what makes me happy, I also have a half helmet that I am not comfortable wearing nothing wrong with the fit I just feel more at ease with the modular. Boots I wear a pair of Rockport hiking boots comfortable on and off the bike.

#34 ·
It is my understanding that the foam inside the helmet compresses and even though the shell looks ok the foam looses some of its original ability to absorb shock. Probably offers more protection than no lid at all. I have an old harley helmet right now but will probably upgrade next season. Its not fancy but it is comfortable.
My boots are Ariat Heritage ropers. Gives me enough traction and the pointed toe makes it easy to shift. They arent steel toe or waterproof... I am new to bikes and still looking for what will offer me the most comfort and protection while staying within my budget.

#36 ·
I'm currently riding with a Scorpion helmet with the drop down visor ... it's about 6 years old, though and about time to replace. My wife got a Shoei that's also got the visor and is pretty amazing. I might go with that next time.

Boots, I wear a western style boot. Plenty of cowboy stores out here in Denver, and I like a pair of Durangos I've got. They've got rubber soles, and are nice leather that keep my feet warm and dry.

#37 ·
MSF course says if the helmet sustains a reasonable impact to stop wearing it. They are built to dissipate energy away from the point of impact and once it has done that, there are changes in the helmet that aren't always visible. They also say, in order to keep someone else from using that helmet, thinking that it's just fine, you should cut the straps off so that it really can't be used again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.