Honda Shadow Forums banner

Season 2015: Crunching the numbers

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Leathel 
#1 ·
Unfortunately the 2015 bike season came to an end nearly two weeks ago. Coldness wins against my stubbornness. I took a few days to compile all the data collected during my riding season and here are the results.

Waiting to read your own data and/any comments about your last season (if you're not riding all year round).

First ride was on April 4th and last one was on November 10th

Metric (km/Litre/Can$) US (Mile/US gal/US$*)
Odometer beginning 266 566 km 165,641 mi
First fill up at 266 767 km 165,766 mi
Last fill up at 298 398 km 185,421 mi
Odometer ending 298 398 km 185,421 mi
Mileage between first & last 31 631 km 19,655 mi
Total fuel spent 1 405 L 371 gal
Fuel consumption 4,44 L/100 km 53 miles/ US Gal (63 / Imp gal)
Cost of fuel spent 1 624,00 $ 1,218.00 US$
Average cost of fuel 1,156 $/L** 3.283 $**
Oil & filter change interval 5 000 km ±3,100 mi
Oil & filter (6) cost 127,00 $ 95.00 $
Cost for 5 000 km (3,100 mi)
(Fuel, oil & filters) (Rotella 15-40) 278,00 $ 208.00 $

* US $ calculated with an excange rate of 0.75 US $ = 1,00 Can $
** Including a few fill up with premium (to help digest the ethanol, no other benefit), using regular otherwise.

See less See more
#3 ·
Not very complicated; at every fill up, on the gas receipt I write down the odometer reading. Back home, in an Excel worksheet, I enter the date, the odometer noted on the receipt, the amount paid and the price of the gaz. The worksheet do the numbers crunching to give an up to date summary.

The joined doc is the PDF printed for my 2015 season.

If anybody is intrerested; I can easily convert the spreadsheet in english and from metric to US (miles/gal.); just wite me a PM, I will gladly give an address where it can be downloaded. Microsoft Excel or any program that can use an .XLS file is mandatory to use the model.

Attachments

#6 ·
God Bless you, MoMo.. But I ride to escape the paperwork! ...One of the finest things about my current scoots is that they both have gas gauges with range computers.. Now I don't even need to worry about the math involved in running out of gas! :D

#7 ·
What do you use the data for? Does it impact how you ride or if you will continue to ride?

I check my mph once in awhile, just to make sure the engine isn't off kilter, and I check mileage so I have a rough idea of when to change the oil.

#8 ·
Was doing it over a complete season just to get a "true" average because it does vary a lot with riding manners; mainly the right wrist activity and amplitude. Usually switch to reserve at around 265 km ans the still good for another 50 km. Try to fill up not over 300 km.

#11 ·
Good on you for keeping records, its not everyones thing, I wish I could do that.... but I struggle to keep tabs on when I change the oil.... Usually end up changing to soon as I forgot to write it down :p

Good swag of K's for the season so at least you are also getting out there and using the bike (best model out there :p ) The last few owners of my bike certainly didn't ride much as it only had 25,000 miles on it when I got it.

But I dont think I could handle a Off season, pretty much ride year round, just not to and from work as I need the Ute to take the dog :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.