Honda Shadow Forums banner

Gas Prices in your Area

4K views 36 replies 31 participants last post by  MoMo51 
#1 ·
Wondered what everyone else is seeing. Here in Northern Mississippi I saw regular gas for sale at an eye-popping $1.75. My daughter swears she paid $1.45 20 miles down the road... all we need now is the Bee Gees and we'll be back in 1975 !!

#2 ·
Around here its around $2 a gal. I love filling up the bike!

I started driving in '75, gas was about 55 cents a gallon then.

#3 ·
If you skip back ten more years to 1965, the price was around thirty-cents per gallon or less.
And the 'Beatles' & 'Rolling Stones' were on the radio all the time. Just think, a decent new house was about $20k then, but you can't find a decent car for that price now.
But people were still in the same political mode with Johnson & Humphry along with the agony of warfare where we thought we could change the hearts and minds of ...

#8 ·
$1.83 here in NWNJ...and for our cars, we don't have to pump it ourselves ;) Of course for the scoot, you can pump it yourself. I wouldn't let ANYONE fill my bike tank for me!!!!

#10 ·
$1.66 a gallon in beautiful downtown Greenwood, Indiana. That same station is selling ethanol and they do not sell Rotella dino and seafoam is no where to be found inside the store. But you are in luck if you need a snickers or a butterfingers bar. And a Polar pop to wash it down.:surprise:

#12 ·
$2.05/9 tonight ($2.02/9 with my SpeedyRewards SuperAmerica loyalty card).

$2.09/9 at Shell, where I normally fuel the bike. Too cold to worry about that, today...

#14 ·
I frequently check gas buddy app to see what station is cheapest on my route, normally don't alter my route, but at least I know where to stop.
Lowest today I saw was $1.66,

#15 ·
Filled up my car on Wednesday at Meijer's (Fraser, Michigan.) The pump price was $1.699; with their credit card you get a .05 cent discount, bringing the price down to $1.649.

I noticed this morning it has already starting creeping up to $1.799. Still not bad though!

Gas prices around here always go up about .10 cents on the weekends. It's probably just going up earlier this week because of the long weekend and Thankgiving holiday......

Phil

#16 ·
You guys should be happy with those prices. Here outside of Seattle they are $2.15-2.50.
A couple of months ago I saw it was down to 1.85 and told the wife "it is nice to have low prices for a while, but I am sure they will find a way to gouge us again with higher prices" !!!
Sure enough they went up pretty quickly after that. Better than $4.00 though !

#18 · (Edited)
Around here, I have never seen recent gas prices (regular 87 Octane) lower than $2.30 a gallon.

Fuel:

$2.30
2 days

SPEEDWAY #7724 1338 ROUTE 52
CARMEL, NY 10512

$2.33
3 days

PAWLINGS SUNOCO 10 W MAIN ST
PAWLING, NY 12564

$2.36
about 3 hours

CUMBERLAND FARMS 2447 ROUTE 55
HOPEWELL JUNCTION, NY 12533

$2.40
about 3 hours

SUNOCO 831 BEEKMAN RD

$2.40
about 3 hours

A PLUS MINI MARKET 1320 ROUTE 52
CARMEL, NY 10512

$2.40
about 5 hours

SHELL 2858 NY-55
POUGHQUAG, NY 12570

$2.40
6 days

HOPEWELL AUTO PARTS 420 ROUTE 376

$2.43
about 24 hours

GULF 851 ROUTE 22
PAWLING, NY 12564

$2.43
4 days

SHELL 2444 ROUTE 55

$2.43
about 4 hours

SHELL 854 ROUTE 82

$2.44
4 days

DUTCHESS AUTO BODY AND SERVICE 36 E MAIN ST
PAWLING, NY 12564

$2.46
about 3 hours

SWARTZ MART 893 ROUTE 376
WAPPINGERS FALLS, NY 12590

$2.50
about 3 hours

EXXON 1502 ROUTE 55
LAGRANGEVILLE, NY 12540

$2.50
about 2 hours

CLOVE BRANCH 1122 ROUTE 82

$2.51
3 days

SHELL 1220 ROUTE 55
LAGRANGEVILLE, NY 12540

$2.51
about 6 hours

SHELL 182 ROUTE 216
STORMVILLE, NY 12582

$2.54
about 2 hours

MOBIL ON THE RUN 1563 ROUTE 82

$2.54
about 6 hours

BLUE HILL SHELL 2436 ROUTE 52

$2.56
about 3 hours

SUNOCO 2612 ROUTE 52

$2.60
about 5 hours

MOBIL 1782 ROUTE 22
WINGDALE, NY 12594

#21 · (Edited)
Price setting...no. It's local competition only and they compete penny to penny. Joes across the street is getting 230.9 so I will charge 229.9. They are not stupid enough to start gas wars, mainly because competition is rarely that close, and they all know wars are a profit losing proposition. What am I gonna do? Nothing...pay it.

#25 ·
Where I live, on the 8 mile stretch to work, the price varies by 15 CENTS! Closer to my house is the cheapest (which is a 'new' 7-11 station), and the 'middle' station (a private small-time place maybe 2-3 miles away) is the most expensive, and the one closest to work is halfway between them. Seems strange to me, but it seems they're getting away with it. Guess people are just stupid enough to get it right close to home and not wanting to move just a few miles down the road to save quite a bit of $.

BTW, I remember the 'gas wars', and in my hometown, there were 4 gas stations on ONE corner of the main street, and I saw prices drop throughout the day down to TEN CENTS per gallon! Like you were saying, one would drop by a penny or two, and then another would drop, going around the corner until they were all the same, and then it would start again. It was amazing!! Wish something like that would happen today! :wink2:

#22 ·
Gas Buddy sure is a great app. I haven't used it on a trip yet but it is really handy.

#26 ·
The really big question is whether these prices will continue to be at current levels, go even lower, or return to "normal." You can make pretty powerful arguments for every one of these possibilities.

For my part (maybe I'm just a congenital optimist) I'm inclined toward the theory that prices will remain about where they are. Inflation will always nudge prices up, but the countervailing forces are 1) increased US crude supplies; and 2) more alternative energy sources -- solar, wind, etc., coming online. Even China is talking about diversifying.

Of course China's manufacturing slowdown helps, but the US economy is recovering from the Great Recession without stressing prices and supply, and even monumental instability in the Mideast has not caused a price spike, either. Remember when any little event there made crude prices jump? Now even war, revolution and terrorism is ignored by the marketplace because of oversupply.

All that is necessary are a few advances in battery technology to render the internal combustion engine dead as a dodo, and everybody and their brother is working on that. If I were an investor I'd be shorting petroleum-related stocks as fast as I can.

Fortunately I'm NOT an investor so I don't have to put my money where my mouth is.:grin2:

#27 ·
Yeah the good old days of .25 gas. Gas wars and promotions from the stations.
And then at times you could get 10 times green stamps. Everybody remembers Green Stamps, right ?

I remember when engine oil was .30 a quart too. I even bought reclaimed motor oil for my old Cushman scooter for .19 a quart.
Of course the minimum wage was about $1.50 an hour too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.