Honda Shadow Forums banner

partially paralyzed left foot - need a heel-toe shift option

5K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Kitulu 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have recently damaged a disc at L4-5 and the result is basically a partially paralyzed left foot (foot drop). At the current time I cannot raise my toes up. I can shift if I bang my whole foot up, but it is really interesting when I tried to go into neutral. Anyway, the doctor says the nerve may heal in 6 months to 2 years or it may never heal at all. So I am planning for next year and looking to see if someone has used a heel-toe shifter on a Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C. I did some searching on google and it seems that there is no real option for this model. Has anyone made one? I am not a welder so if someone else has a design and are willing to build it we can work out a price.

Thanks guys.

#7 · (Edited)
I was thinking what is the shifting shaft size on the 2003 1100 Aero. If it is smaller than his current bike. Why not order the 2003 1100 Aero heel / toe shifter and drill it out to the size he needs. I don't think it would cost much for a machine shop to add the knurls to the heel / toe shifter he ordered. I would try the local vocational school and see if they would do it. They may do it for free. If is to large use a piece of copper with the same thickness needed to put the larger shifter on. What do you think of my ideas. Stupid or it might work.

#4 ·
Just curious if you can move your ankle normally. I wear steel toed boots so my toes are worthless in there. I shift with my ankle movement. No problem with neutral. Sure hope you heal soon.

#5 ·
Hi There, I'm having the same problem finding a heel toe shifter fr my Sabre , No one makes it, I'm thinking it sure woukd be easy to go to a welder and add a rear shift piece to the front one, I'm going to do that right after Jan 1st, I'll post it after I do it
Hope ya heal fast

#6 · (Edited)
I don't know NJ At all, but I have no doubt there are machine shops and metal fabricators some where near you. If nothing else in a boat yard or dry docking facility. Any journeyman (+) machinist can set you up. If can, take your bike there and that picture in the link provided by Alien1965 above and let them figure it out. Don't show them that price.......they may well do it for you substantially cheaper, especially if you do the finish sanding and polishing. Stainless steel 306 will be strong enough , easily , and it polishes nice with even just a Dremel tool.

Good luck and hope you heal quickly. Semper Fi .

#8 ·
I'm in North Delaware. Happy to get together and look over what you need and make it. Holler if you want to go that option. I would want to either come up there and do it, or drag the bike back here on my trailer, rather than doing it via mail - I don't have a Spirit here, just my ACE, and I wouldn't want to model it if the foot stuff has a different layout (which I am almost certain it does).

Holler if.

#10 ·
I don't have a Spirit here, just my ACE, and I wouldn't want to model it if the foot stuff has a different layout (which I am almost certain it does).
Spirit shift lever is set up very differently than 1100 ACE but welding on a rear lever *might* work if you get he position and clearance right. Definitely should have the bike on hand to figure all that out.

#9 ·
You may also consider checking out the CTX line with the 6 speed DCT so you won't need to shift at all. The bikes have paddles like in cars if you have the desire to go manual.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice.

First: The bike was a gift from my kids for my 40th birthday so I trying to avoid changing bikes for sentimental reasons.

Second. my ankle has limited motion, it is coming back slowly but it may not fully come back or it might, and if it does there is no garuntee that the damaged disc wont leak again and result in the same drop foot.

I didn't realize the 2003 Aero shhifting shaft was smaller, opening that up maybe the way to go. If not using the pic Alien1965 pasted and a welder is a great idea.

If I can't find one local I will definitely hit you up in North Delaware Chris!

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

#12 ·
One HELLUVA fine offer from Chris Hornberger!
FreakinUnbeatable!

And thanx! For your Service to my Country.

I'm in North Delaware. Happy to get together and look over what you need and make it. Holler if you want to go that option. I would want to either come up there and do it, or drag the bike back here on my trailer, rather than doing it via mail - I don't have a Spirit here, just my ACE, and I wouldn't want to model it if the foot stuff has a different layout (which I am almost certain it does).

Holler if.

#15 ·
I lose track of who disagrees with whom in these forums as there's always plenty of it to go around. But the offer is amazing. So I would say he's a nice guy!

and you're welcome Gnarly

#19 ·
LTNS, HSN! Bumping this to see if you found a decent solution to this problem? I really want to buy some Cobra floorboards for my '05 VT1100C, but only if I can get a heel shifter on there. I can't find squat other than a discontinued MC Enterprises floorboard/shifter combo that isn't nearly as attractive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.