Honda Shadow Forums banner

Road trip

3K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Deputy 76802 
#1 ·
Im doing my first major trip, not just a ride on some twisties locally, but a ride from walnut ridge,ar to covington,tn, through missouri. Im going to change the oil on my bike (needs it anyway), but other than tclocs, anything "special" i should do or carry?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Are you riding alone?

Think as though, ahead... of the route. Your picking / planning it.
*{ share it with someone, others.. to know where you are }
People have sat in road ditchs, because no one knew where to look. After being forced off the road, etc.

Think like you broke down... what items would YOU want, need?

Use the internet, to plan ahead on your route for all the MUST HAVES if things go wrong, local police, hospitals, Honda Powersport Service centers... Rain gear, or where stay....

Give others a route / plan / time frame of your where abouts by checking in, let someone know the details. Or share periodly with facebook / group... documented bike rides are fun to check out.

Go Pro cameras - shooting bits here and there of your ride... cool

- be cautious, safe and enjoy the ride.

*can of no more flat - really comes in handy! >:)

#3 ·
I am riding alone...my wife is riding ahead of me the day before, and I don't want to take a truck by myself on a 2.5 hour car ride. I'd rather risk getting wet and save some fuel than burn 12 mpg in a truck and ride by myself, which I would do anyway.

rain gear -- check
run flat -- will get it when I get oil today.
good call on "what things would I want"....

keep the suggestions coming!

#4 ·
I agree on rain gear and letting someone know your route and expected arrival.
Working cell phone and, depending on the range of your bike and your familiarity with the area, you might want to figure if you will need gas and where. Might not be a big problem back east but out in the west gas stations can get far apart and on my smaller tank bikes I need to know I'll have fuel.
Sounds like you are talking 150 miles at most. You are in pretty easy range of you family and your truck so if your bike is well maintained I'd just go and enjoy the ride. 150 miles is just the start to a day. :)

#5 ·
I typically caution against doing much out of the ordinary before taking your bike out for a trip. Hopefully your bike is ready on any given day to take a couple of hundred mile trip. Change the oil and filter, maybe change or blow out the air filter, do a visual check of everything else, fill with gas and go!
What to carry used to be a pretty big debate around here. Me, I like to keep it simple. I have a nice multi-tool somewhere and I keep my bikes stock tool set with a few zip ties and a set of needle nosed pliers added. That, and a couple of bottles of water is about all I ever carry whether I'm riding 50, 150 or 1500 miles.
Enjoy your ride. Start a thread when you get back telling us all about it.

#7 ·
I did not. I had two men in my church that ride, as well as one of the guys wife, (who also rides) look at them. They all said they were in ok condition and have about 1000 miles left. When i mentioned the codes and age of the tires to one of them ( he is a 25 yr veteran with the ahdt and has worked on and has experience with anything gas powered, including bikes), he said that often times, they sit in a warehouse for a while, and that age osnt so much a factor as the condition and tread if the tire. They all said they wouldnt have a problem with riding anywhere in them. Since they all ride or have ridden for a combined 30+ years, i am confident in what they tell me. I will, however, be buying new tires in aug/sep either way.

#16 ·
Yeah.
11 yr old tires?

Even WITHOUT any visible cracking?

No way.

Take the truck.
And park the bike til you get new tires.

Your 2 local friends dunno jacksh0t about tires.
Promise us that you will never ask those squirrels for motorcycle advice again.

#19 ·
Good point, all. Had an accident on oct, just now mentally getting over it. Another one, especially a bad one, would likely put me off for good. And i do have a family (beautiful wife-woman of my dreams, 4 children) to consider. Life insurance cant replace my presence. I do trust these guys, but i also know that ANYTHING past its prime, even in good condition, sometimed just needs to be retired and replaced. I have ATON riding on my tires.

And feel free to call me John. That IS my name?.

#20 ·
Well John, you asked, we answered...
TCLOCS inspection on my Bike includes tires...
Mine has tires within SAFE age limits, I check date code for reference...
I know you know the age of your tires and the results of a tire going out on you...
30 years of combined riding experience ain`t an awful lot...
PLUS Riding experience advice ain`t Safety oriented advice from your buddies...
It surely doesn`t give me any cause to give you a poor judgement call on your life...
I MIGHT, use those tires at a rally where I trailer my bike to and from it, ON Grounds/25MPH Maximum for short distances ONLY...
For example > I have an antique I use at rallies, it has antique tires on it...
I ride 1/2 mile to the "city" the heart of the rally...
I sure wouldn`t ride those tires on the road for any distance <<

We like to give SAFE advice when we`re asked,
D

:D 2.5 hours ride is a Sunday after church ride for most of us :D

#27 · (Edited)
The TCLOCK Checklist (To be done before you ride)

TCLOCK is an acronym that helps to cover the bike from stem to stern, for a quick inspection:

T- Tires and Wheels

• Tires- Check tread depth, wear and air pressure
  • Wheels- See if any spokes are loose or if the rim is bent or cracked. See if it turns freely, but is not loose on the axle.
C- Control Levers

• Inspect levers. Verify they are not bent or broken and move easily.
  • Check cables for fraying and lubricate them.
  • Check hoses for cracks, leaks, bulges and chaffed areas
  • Make sure the throttle moves freely. Closes easily. Lube if needed.
L- Lights & Battery

• Check that the battery terminals are clean and tight and that the electrolyte level is correct. Plus make sure the vent tube is hooked to the vent outlet and not kinked
  • Check the turn signals and brake lights for proper operation. Make sure the lenses are not cracked or broken
  • Headlight- Check for proper operation and alignment
O- Oil Levels

Check engine oil level plus transmission and primary drive fluid levels

C- Chassis

• Steering Head-Move handlebars back and forth to check for tight spots or binding.
  • Hold the front brake and rock the bike front to back to check for any free play in the neck bearings.
  • Suspension- Check the front forks and the rear shocks for smooth travel and right air pressure (If equipped)
  • Belt- Check tension and visually inspect for any rocks or other objects stuck in it.
  • Fasteners- Check for any loose nuts or bolts and tighten if needed
  • Chain - lubed and check adjustment and for worn sprockets
K- Kickstand

Side stand- Check for ease of operation and spring action.

#28 ·
Links in my signature are there for all to use...
MANY Safety Tips, Much useful information and State by State Laws included...
(TCLOCS included)
Group Riding, Maps, Travel/Loading/packing suggestions and MUCH MORE in those links...
Feel free to look,
Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.