Honda Shadow Forums banner

THIS is why I wear a helmet

4K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 ·
I know lots of you don't like wearing helmets......I'm not here to start a debate. Just saying I'm so glad I was wearing mine.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
I had a spatzy (sparrows as some of you call them) fly right in to the open shield of my face shield. It was just about me and the bird staring each other down face to face until I reached up and grabbed him and tossed him off to the side. I should have checked where I was throwing it because it landed in the cab of a UPS truck. He was swatting and feathers where pouring out of the truck. I never laughed so hard in my life. I finally pulled over so I could regain my composure, and what do you know. The UPS truck stopped too. I thought he was going to come out yelling at me, but he came out in as bad as shape as I was. We both laughed til we cried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
It's funny....I went out for a ride the other day and had 4 bees hit my face shield, two birds hit my helmet, and a couple other things; don't know what they were. I have mostly always ridden with a windshield (since I was 16), and this was the first time since then I rode my Aero with nothing. I had sold my Memphis Fats windshield, and was waiting for all the parts of my new Batwing to come in.
I really have no idea how guys ride with no face shield. They are far luckier than me. Even a bee at that speed must really hurt and throw you off a bit. Now, with my new fairing I will never ride without one again. Spoiled.
I guess I would make a crappy Harley rider....

#17 ·
I'll see your bird crap, and raise you a small deer! Hit it doing 60-65 and the stomach blew out covering me from head to knee or so with green slime. So glad I had full face helmet and shield down! I left all my gear on until officer got there for report because if I took it of I knew I would never be able to put it back on to ride home.

#18 ·
EEEAAAYYYAAAUUUGGGHHH!!! :shock:

I hope the officer called a fire truck to hose you off quickly!

#21 ·
When I had a motorcycle in college in AZ, there were some kind of beetle flying around the Prescott area that were about an inch in diameter, and they didn't splat. They ricocheted! One hit me in the shin once, and through jeans it left a bruise that lasted 2 weeks. I had another one bounce off my windshield, skip off my half-open visor, and bounce off the top of my helmet, at 60 mph.

#25 ·
Funny...I couldn't stop quick enough the other night when I hit the FL border to take my lid off. Actually stopped about 100 yds on the AL side. [emoji39]

Hated it a couple days later when I had to stop at the border and put it back on. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
ATGATT except when I don`t :D

Cow Piss!
I don`t want to remember that, but y`all made it reappear in my nightmares...

Went to pass a cattle hauler, Yup you guessed it!
One heffer decided to let loose!

No escape,
D

Nightmares return

#27 ·
Well, since y'all have brought it up, what kind of helmet do you wear. I currently wear a half helmet, however recently I have gotten a light buzzing in my ears and the wind noise, even at 45mph, drives me nuts and for hours later. I have started to wear ear plugs but regardless of what the brainiacs say I cannot hear what is going on around me as well. The other day I decided to wear the full face helmet that I had to wear while testing military vehicles and to my surprise my it helped with my ears, was not as hot as I remember and I could hear my exhaust!!!

I'm old school,,,no windshield (if I wanted to be behind one I would drive my truck) and full face helmets are for sport bikers. Just wondering how much this has changed or does it matter. I like the rest of y'all are getting older and the body is changing and I am thinking that it might be time to make a helmet change.

Any favorites on good full face helmets?

Oh yeah,,, got hit by a killer bug yesterday and it hurt more than they did 20 years ago.

#28 · (Edited)
Any favorites on good full face helmets?
There are so many choices. How much do you want to spend? Generally speaking with FF helmets the more money you spend the better the helmet is. I wear an Arai RX-Q when I wear a FF. You'd have to pry it away from me ... great helmet. Whatever your choice is I recommend getting one with a pinlock shield. Shuberth, Arai, and Shoei are top of the line. Also take a look around here, there was a recent helmet thread that will give you some ideas of what everyone wears, and spend some time at Revzilla.com reading reviews and watching their review videos.

#31 ·
I'll post a review of the new Icon Armada helmet after I get it, hopefully Wed.

My G-Max Modular has been great, except for being the wrong shape for my head. :p
Lots of vents you can open or close for good ventilation. It is fairly noisy, but I haven't had another one to compare it to.
Definitely check out the "What kind of helmet do you wear?" thread!

#35 ·
Yes, I have helmets for all occasions too...
Full coverage for extended stay in the saddle...
Half coverage for abiding to the law here in GA and other states...
And a Doo Rag from my Sturgis trip for Freedom of Choice states...

Gotta be prepared,
D

#37 ·
Thanks for all the good info y'all. I will start doing the research for a FF helmet. Price range will be $200 or less. I will never get rid of my half helmet or do-rag, I might get to a state that allows one to choose. Not sure how long I would ride without a lid but would like to at least once, there are just to many people driving out there that are more concerned with other things than driving there vehicle.

I like the FF helmets that have the drop down sun visors, but have heard they fail after a little time, might be a lack of maintenance.

Again, thanks. will check out the other thread as well.

#38 ·
It is nice sometimes to ride without the helmet, but you have to realize the risk you're taking. Like I said, I have a half helmet and FF helmet that I wear, but on occasion I will go without. Generally, those rides are around my neighborhood or up to the local convenience store. I don't typically go too far without a helmet; why push my luck?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.