Honda Shadow Forums banner

Riding boots?

5K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  jwinker 
#1 ·
Just wondering what everyone wears for riding boots.

Me Its either an old pair of duty boots (Danner Acadia) or a pair of Western boots.

#2 ·
I've been using a pair of all leather hiking boots that come up over the ankle. They are comfortable when riding and I don't have to change them to do some serious walking around when I arrive at places I want to check out. The biggest flaw they have is that while they come up over the ankle, they could be a little higher. I'm always looking for something better and I'm leaning towards some of the tactical boots I've seen but I haven't found a pair that fits my overly wide feet yet.

#3 ·
I have a pair of Ariat horse-riding boots I use. They're "english" not "western" boots, lace up and very comfortable with good support.

#4 ·
I have a pair of Harley women's lace ups that I bought nearly 20 years ago. Even though I didn't ride much until recently , I wore those boots constantly. They are still in excellent shape, and the only reason I would replace them is that my feet grew about a half size (or my arches flattened). I would probably replace with the same style in the Milwaukee brand.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I wear a pair of Magnum tactical boots with an 8" cuff. They are steel toe as well. They were boots I had for work before I became management and traded them for dress shoes.

#8 ·
I have a pair of used Frye Engineer boots with "Maxitred" sole on the bottom. I got them at work when one of the other employees came in with a huge bag of stuff leftover from a church donation place. She brought the leftovers into work to see if we wanted anything, and if not, she'd take it all to Goodwill.

And as you see, I stumbled upon a pair of men's size 11 boots by Frye, and couldn't believe it! So before anybody did anything, I snatched them up so quick!

#11 ·
Favorites are Danner Hikers.....look like 40 miles of bad road, but comfortable.

New boots are Michelin.
Yes.
THAT Michelin.

They weigh the same as the front tire on @captain D's 8N Ford tractor.
We're talking: heavy enough to decrease my fuel mileage. Just sayin'.

They are as soft as your ex's heart.
They have the stylish looks of a new Mack garbage truck.

And the flexibility of the IRS.

But the tread....such NICE tread.
Can't tell you about wet-weather grip or cornering or any tendency to hydroplane....afraid if they get wet, they won't come off.

But....they were a gift from a well-meaning older neighbor lady whose daym cat often needs rescuing ( it climbs well, then apparently remembers: it's afraid of heights ).
....a neighbor who is often around when we take off....so guess what....

Yeah.

#13 ·
I favor Red Wing, Lace up boots with a heal...
Rocky is not as durable but second on my list...

A friend once asked, "Do you wear gloves when you ride?"
I said "yes."
She continued, "I worked E R, and everyone who comes in has much debris in their hands from not wearing gloves.
And if they`re wearing slip on boots, there is always one missing."

A view from the eyes of someone who sees the worst... she Cares about me...

Ride SAFE,
D

#15 ·
I used to wear a SWAT style boot, but now wear the TCX X-Desert, Boot.. I have 40+K on these and they are really broken-in and as comfy as a pair of slippers.. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter, waterproof.. Spendy, but, given a choice, I'd buy another pair after these go four paws up..

More boot than most people need, and not an 'around town' boot. But they're the boot I wear when riding on and off-road.

#17 ·
I've looked at those and the TCX Track Evo boots, among others, like some of the Forma and AlpineStars boots. Not sure I want to spend $500+ on a pair of boots, but as I get older I realize I've been lucky so far and some extra protection wouldn't be a bad idea. I already have some motocross boots for spirited dirt riding but need something a little more long trip/big bike friendly. Thanks for the comments. I'll add them into my mental boot buying database.

#19 · (Edited)
I have two pairs of boots. One pair is the Rev'it Regent book in brown, which are the boots I wear 98% of the time. The other is a pair of Milwaukee Accelerator riding boots with the laces and zippers.

The Milwaukee's are kind of cumbersome. The Regents are made for regular and narrow feet, so my high instep makes my right boot uncomfortable until the leather stretches out. Otherwise, nice boots on the Regents. Oh, and they apparently come from Italy, so shipping takes several weeks; not to mention they are quite pricey.

#20 · (Edited)
#26 ·
Every time one of these topics show up I make the same recommendation...And here I go again...:laugh:

Tourmaster Solution boots
TOURMASTER, a leader in Motorcycle Apparel, Motorcycle Footwear, and Motorcycle Luggage. - Solution 2.0 WP

Mine are over a decade old and they are admittedly well worn in. I can ride and walk in them all day long and I like them so much that I just had them resoled last year rather than buy a new pair.

I'd highly recommend you find some local place that sells boots so you can get fitted properly, rather than take a chance online.

#27 ·
Been wearing Alpinestars for more years than I can remember. Just bought a new pair because the old ones wore out. Left wasn't very waterproof anymore. That's an important consideration for me -- and the reason I wear sportbike-style boots -- because I don't stop for rain. Snow, sleet & hail. Sometimes lightning. Not rain.

#28 ·
My humble opinion on boots...

If you can pull it on with your hands, a wreck can pull it off. Cowboy style boots are the worse boot you can wear as a motorcycle boot.

The most important job motorcycle boots do is protect your feet. To do that job, motorcycle boots have to stay on your feet.

A work boot is not a motorcycle boot.

So what is a good motorcycle boot? I don't think cruisers need MX boots, but you can wear those if you so choose. I just ordered a pair of these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IM4YQT2

This is more of a tactical boot masquerading as a work boot. Slip/oil-resistant out-sole and tie up like a regular work boot, but also has rubber wrapping around the back of it to help protect your ankle, composite toe, and waterproof. The price is hard to beat, too.

#30 · (Edited)
This is a great thread. I have a cheap pair of hiking boots that zip up the side for now. They are nice boots but dig into my leg where the skin graph was done. If I had regular motorcycle boots when I was hit. Odds are I would not have gotten my leg torn up. Sad to learn little things to late.I will be getting a pair that are pretty high now.
My question is why aren't motorcycle boots made similar to these. They fit tight and would be easy to remove in an accident.

Attachments

#31 ·
Odds are I would not have gotten my leg torn up. Sad to learn little things to late.I will be getting a pair that are pretty high now.
Broke my ankle wearing those old Alpinestars 7 or 8 years ago. With the boots on and tight I was able to walk. Kind of, anyway. And ride the last 120+ miles home. Couldn't lift my toes to shift so it was the first time I ever appreciated the stock heal-toe shift lever on my bike. I KNOW I would not have made it home that day if I had been wearing the boots I used before the Alpinestars. (Similar to the one in ButchA's picture. Could not keep them waterproof for the rain I rode through crossing Ohio during something like four consecutive years.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.