Honda Shadow Forums banner

Saddlebags?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  h13man 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 VT1100C3 Shadow Aero. I am hoping to put new saddlebags on it. It currently has studded Hondaline bags on it, but they are possibly 15 years old and somewhat misshapen.

I am hoping someone can give suggestions as to what fits and works well. The bike is stock and has National Cycle rigid mount brackets on already. I am hoping to find bags that will mate up with the mounts I currently have and am looking for bags that are a little bigger. I really do not want to relocate my turn signals.

Hoping to spend $200 to $300.

#2 ·
If the bags are still in good shape other than being a bit misshapen and you like them, try lining them with sheet aluminum. You get to keep the same bags (providing you like them, of course), you save 2-300 hondabucks, you get a rigid bag, and you know they already fit the mounts.

#3 ·
You can get aftermarket brackets cheap:

Chrome Saddlebag Supports Brackets Fit Honda Aero VT1100 C3 VT 1100 | eBay

And then get some nice, reinforced leather saddlebags and simply tie the backs of them to the brackets once you get them adjusted right. Make sure whatever saddlebags you choose to buy have the tie downs whether they are leather or Velcro or whatever.

River Road has some nice saddlebags which are made of synthetic leather and are waterproof. They are large too so they have plenty of space. They also have zippers so you can take them off easily for storage or when traveling:

River Road Zip Off Box Large Saddlebags Classic Black | eBay

These are the saddlebags in my signature pic though I butchered them so I could use the OEM Honda brackets which was a bad idea since those brackets make the saddlebags bow out and I had to cut off the connecting strap to make them work on those brackets.

#6 ·
I went to the site, look like a great product, they have renamed the product and direct you to a different website. I start the order process, click add to cart, it directs me to another page that my browser doesn't think is safe. I go anyhow, its a page for facial creams? Looks like they are out of business?

#5 ·
Personally have never seen any decent-sized saddlebags that did not require signal modifications / relocation.
Another issue is larger bags getting down onto the top pipe.
I wish you luck.

And h13man is correct re: ghostbrackets: I have hand-fabbed my very last set of saddlebag brackets.
Or put up with cheap chrome junk that breaks under load.

In the past, I looked longingly at them, then backed away. $155 / pr.

Now I think: my time is worth it. Next time, I buy those.

#8 ·
I got the listings from a site that was sold out thus may help in finding some online.

GB-H-VT7C4B-105 For Bikes with No Backrest Installed For use with small, medium or slanted bags 22 inches or less in width

GB-H-VT7C4BBK-105 GB-H-VT7C4B-106 For Bikes with No Backrest Installed For use with large saddlebags

GB-H-VT7C4B-106 For Bikes with No Backrest Installed For use with large saddlebags

GB-H-VT7C4BBK-106 For Bikes with Standard OEM or aftermarket backrest installed For use with large saddlebags

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.