Honda Shadow Forums banner

Trouble removing Alternator cover

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm replacing the stator on my 1983 750ct shadow, and I can't get the alternator cover off. I've followed the instructions in my manual step by step and triple checked my work. Any Ideas on sneaky screws or bolts I may have missed? Overzealous gasket? Pound it with a rubber mallet? Any help is hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
I haven't had mine apart but most of the time there is a tab you can pry against to start to separate the pieces. There are 9 bolts according to the photo in the manual. If you gave to get brutal start at the upper rear corner where it would be harder for oil to leak if you gouge the case seam a little and add extra sealer there when going back together. Tapping in a thin putty knife may help get it loosened.
The auto parts stores sell a gasket remover spray to help get the gasket off when it is apart.

#5 ·
If the bolt is threaded into steel, you can apply heat to the threaded portion before you wrench on it. That will break loose any rust in the threads. Make sure you shield any aluminum parts when applying the heat. Also, a large dose of PB Blaster or penetrating oil on the threads in addition to the heat couldn't hurt.

#6 ·
Yes smilie`s got the right idea with penetrating oil of some type, for Sure!

I always apply penetrating oil to the bolt as I drill the center for the "EZ Out"...
I did fail to mention my technique for drilling, my bad...

Apply penetrating oil and I tap the remainder of the bolt with a hammer, so as to work the oil into the threads... This helps...

Again >
Good Luck,
D

#7 ·
I changed my left peg and it has studs and nuts on the inside of the frame like this one on ebay=

1983 Honda VT750 VT750C Shadow Left Front Foot Rest Foot Peg SHP 2 | eBay

If you cant get the nuts to break loose, sharpen a chisel and start tappng against it on the side of the flats of the nut in the direction it should unscrew. Even if you ruin the flats these metric nuts are easy to find replacements.

#8 ·
I sprayed the heck out of it with wd40 last night, that's just what I had around, just got home from work and tried again, no luck. I'm heading out to buy some penetrating oil and borrow a torch from a friend. I'm nervous about the heat in what seems like a sensitive area around the inside lower left side. Any advice in regards to not cooking any integral parts?

#9 ·
Shield it with a piece of light gauge sheet metal holding it as far from the aluminum as possible. And if you're using an oxy/acetylene, be EXTREMELY careful. Too close to any aluminum with that hot oxygen tip and your in trouble.

#10 ·
Just be careful not to burn a hole in the lower radiator hose under that spring hose protector. If you put good penetrant and heat it put more penetrant it can work down into the threads. "Don't pay pay no mine to all that smoke, and a little fire". Better do it outside.!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.